Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'm working from the AA Truckers' Atlas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm working from the AA Truckers' Atlas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I may be a stubborn b*****d Grrrr but I’m not giving in without a fight. I really appreciate the comments everyone has made and wish I had not mentioned the AA as it may have avoided their legal eagles eyes, for a while at least. I still don’t believe that I am in breach of the AA’s copyright as the information is factual, and in the public domain. I’m even considering publishing the information on my own site for non-commercial personal use.

However, if enough people are on my side I think there is a solution. Thumbs Up I have another 400 plus bridge locations, which as I understand it, can be published so long as there are no actual heights. If everyone out there can check bridge heights and locations and send them to me at robin@willow-house.co.uk then I can publish more useful POIs with real heights. This would also mean that any errors, (there will be at least 50 I’m sure), can be corrected too.

Let me know your opinions.

I’m willing to send POIs to anyone who emails me, with updates as corrections arrive.

Go to topic 1000 low bridges
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Local Transport Authorities should have the details we need Reply with quote

I've just emailed my local transport authority (county council in my case) for details of bridge heights. Perhaps everyone else could do that too? Clap
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Fax your MP Reply with quote

I've also faxed my MP about the lack of data information. Stop it!
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Updates etc. Reply with quote

Anyone who emails me at robin@willow-house.co.uk can get POIs of low bridges for any particular height. Thumbs Up
I will also send updates for any corrections received. Angel
If you can confirm height and location information I will change the names appropriately. Cheers!
Any missing (or incorrect) bridge information gratefully received. 8)
strech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: low bridge Reply with quote

If this info on low bridges stop one hgv hitting one it must be worth it, this info should be free. have you seen a HGV stuck under a low bridge

Strech
strech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: low bridge Reply with quote

strech wrote:
If this info on low bridges stop one hgv hitting one it must be worth it, this info should be free. have you seen a HGV stuck under a low bridge Its not nice.

Strech
(HGV CLASS 1)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think, that the people who profit most from this information being freely (and I mean as in no cost) available, are the owners of the bridges and the Insurance companies. Perhaps they should pay for the information to be produced/kept up to date - I am sure that the cost of doing so would be considerably less than for inspecting/fixing the bridges.

Perhaps the Government should contract the OS to do this, and make it available with no charge, after all, even the reduction in Police costs would probably more than pay for the information to be produced and maintained.
Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: POI Edit......Where do I get it from? Reply with quote

Hi

I refer to your earlier post "robin dont forget there is poi database available already and can be had from pocketgps via poi edit".

If their is a Bridge Height database on here, how good is it? Does it contain every bridge in the UK? And how acurate is it?

Nick
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: PoI database Reply with quote

There are hardly any bridges in the PoI database Sad
golla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinwalton, I dont have much of an idea about all this sat nav stuff to be honest but are you compiling a list of low bridges in the uk to be downloaded as a POI thingy which can go onto tomtom so that it will alert you to a low bridge on your route etc??
Im thinking of getting a TomTom Go 700, will the bridge database your working on be suitable for this model?
Cheers,
Golla.
Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: The AA & the Bridge height database Reply with quote

Hi All

Iam very surprised the AA havn't caught on to the fact that they could make a lot of money by providing a bridge height POI database for sat nav systems.......a gap in the market that Iam sure people would be willing to pay them money for the right to use such a database.

Come on the AA......wake up and smell the coffee!

Nick
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Low Bridge PoI Reply with quote

golla wrote:
robinwalton, I dont have much of an idea about all this sat nav stuff to be honest but are you compiling a list of low bridges in the uk to be downloaded as a POI thingy which can go onto tomtom so that it will alert you to a low bridge on your route etc??
Im thinking of getting a TomTom Go 700, will the bridge database your working on be suitable for this model?
Cheers,
Golla.

Yes I can provide a PoI for any particular height.

As far as I am aware PoIs work on the 700, I'm using the classic Go.

Anyone who emails me at robin@willow-house.co.uk can get POIs of low bridges for any particular height.
I will also send updates for any corrections received.
Any missing (or incorrect) bridge information gratefully received.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All POI files for TomTom Navigator will work with all versions of the software PDA, Mobile, Palm ang all GOs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: