Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom settings for hgv's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom settings for hgv's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sniper_uk
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: tom tom settings for hgv's Reply with quote

hi everyone i'm new to this gps system and i was wondering if there is anyone out there that can help.I am testing out tom tom 3 to use in my lorry but am finding that it wants to take me down routes that i obviously can't take i fully understand that the final decision is mine but could anyone tell me the best settings to have eg: road speeds etc
many thanks
shaun(sniper_uk)
Ginger
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun

I've been using TT2 and 3 for a couple of years and generally find it very good however the driver has to be sensible in using the suggested route. Most of the time TT will take me to the front door of where i wish to go, but sometimes it will choose a route which is totally unacceptable, I know i've been there!

Remember also that TT is not aware of weight limits or low bridges, so again the driver has to be vigilant.

Conor or Alix, I can't remember which, suggested that altering TT max speeds in preferences gave beneficial route selection and i've been using these for a while, but just recently i've caught out, when TT directed me down a perfectlly acceptable route for a car which got narrower and narrower and almost ended in disaster.

I've used addresses in my local area to generate routes using different speeds and have had good results for the above route , with TT now taking me the correct way.

The speeds i'm using now are: from the top 54,49,40,30,20,15,10,5

From experience I would suggest this method of using TT.

Plan the route, then change to map view and ensure that TT is only using A and B roads to the destination area and then local roads as required. If you feel it necessary consult the truckers atlas to ensure the route contains no low bridges.

This may all sound long winded, but in reality takes no more than two to three minutes and is still much quicker than having to stop every few miles to consult your map, or find a local who knows the difference between left and right. Wink

I hope that this has been of some use.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick is to put the samller roads at very slow speeds then navigator will ignore the back roads and will priortise the larger ones

sniper if your in the tipper ( if your the one from trucknet) thenit might best to spend somtime playing with it a little till you find the best set up for you

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sniper_uk
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginger and alix,
thanks for the advise,i will continue to tweek the setting till i'm happy with them thanks once again guys.
shaun(sniper_uk)
Dohnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Sniper, I too have found that Gingers speeds are about right, in particular the motorway speed of 54, once set at that speed my eta time is right to within 2 or 3 minutes. The other speed settings I have are slightly different than Gingers, but close enough to give me an accurate eta time. Just dont forget to reset to 70 when driving your car as I found out last week the journey was over a lot sooner that Tomtom said at the outset. Could have stayed in bed another half hour.

As for the rest of Gingers advice I have to agree with him, I had a driver once complaining that his Tomtom kept telling him to go down side roads that were unsuitable, so he switched it off and cucked the Pda on the back bunk. So why spend that amount, just get your suitcase full of maps back out, stop every few minutes and check the route, try this in London`s red route.

You are the driver and as Ginger and Alix say if you dont like the look of the road dont go down it, Tomtom will recalabrate in a few seconds.

Secondly, thanks Alix never thought about setting the minor roads to a lower speed, good advice, how low do you set them.

All I am after now is a low bridge database to download into Tomtom.

Then once thats done can someone drive the truck for me so I can sit back and relax, no oh well, was a pipe dream.
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if it's telling you to go down a road and you see a weight or height limit sign it will take you another route by itself ? and if you were unfortunate enough that it wanted to take you down another unsuitable road (weight, height, or just generally unsuitable) then it will EVENTUALLY take you on a main route that would be ok for trucks ?
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(assuming you keep on missing the turnings)
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Selecting vehicle type Reply with quote

Did you know that Alturion GPS software allows you to select your type of vehicle and will navigate you accordingly.
You can choose, Bike, bus, taxi, car, truck.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does alutron have low bridges and weight limits built in and if so will it avoid them

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
golla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginger wrote:
Conor or Alix, I can't remember which, suggested that altering TT max speeds in preferences gave beneficial route selection and i've been using these for a while, but just recently i've caught out, when TT directed me down a perfectlly acceptable route for a car which got narrower and narrower and almost ended in disaster.

I've used addresses in my local area to generate routes using different speeds and have had good results for the above route , with TT now taking me the correct way.

The speeds i'm using now are: from the top 54,49,40,30,20,15,10,5

From experience I would suggest this method of using TT.

Plan the route, then change to map view and ensure that TT is only using A and B roads to the destination area and then local roads as required. If you feel it necessary consult the truckers atlas to ensure the route contains no low bridges.

This may all sound long winded, but in reality takes no more than two to three minutes and is still much quicker than having to stop every few miles to consult your map, or find a local who knows the difference between left and right. Wink

I hope that this has been of some use.

So by bringing the avereage speeds down in the settings and selecting 'fastest route', tomtom will not take you down the slower local roads but only major A and B roads and motorways?
Can the speed alterations be done on a TomTom Go 700 model?
Cheers,
Golla.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. TT5 has no facility to tweak the road speed settings, at the moment.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
golla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply Oldboy. Is TT5 tomtom navigator 5?? Confused Im not too clued up on this GPS stuff yet Embarassed
Can European maps and POI databases be downloaded on to this model?
Cheers,
Golla.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

golla wrote:
Cheers for the reply Oldboy. Is TT5 tomtom navigator 5?? Confused Im not too clued up on this GPS stuff yet Embarassed
Can European maps and POI databases be downloaded on to this model?
Cheers,
Golla.

Yes. All TomTom's use a common engine now. The look of the TomTomGO versions are very similar to the PDA versions.

The POI databases work the same on both and the MOWE 'should' be out shortly.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: