Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - data capture
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

data capture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unljde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: data capture Reply with quote

I am trying to make an application that captures the date, time, lat, and long from a GPS receiver. I am using a IPAQ PDA, with a CoPilot GPS unit, and programming in embedded visual basic. The program will capture directly after I run the CoPilot program, but will not capture it cold. Does anybody have any ideas what I am doing wrong, or what a possible fix may be? Thanks for the help.
Don Schmitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: data capture Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by "Cold"?

Are you just opening the COM port, and then reading the NMEA data? Have you verified that you successfully open the port?

I found a utility that works pretty well for logging this information (although I too had to write my own for other reasons). It's called VisualGPSCE. You could capture the GPGGA messages, and then translate them easily enough with a desktop app, or in Excel for that matter.

Cheers!

Blackfish Software

<a target="_blank" href= "http://www.blackfishsoftware.com">Pin Distance</a> - Know your distance to the green
unljde
Occasional Visitor

By cold, I mean without first running pocket CoPilot. Yes, I am just opening the COM port and then reading the NMEA data. Is there another way, or is there something else that needs to be done?? Do I first need to send data to the GPS unit?
Don Schmitt
Occasional Visitor

Hmmm...I'm still a little confused about the "cold" term because we are in Pocket PC land.

But this is strange behavior. If you successfully open the COM port, then I would expect you to get SOME data. Are you getting ANY data at all (i.e. perhaps data that just don't look like NMEA)?

One thought: I'm not sure how to configure the COM port in VB, but maybe you need to call the VB equivalent of SetCommState after you open the port...perhaps CoPilot does this in a way that leaves the COM port in the correct state for you.

Blackfish Software

<a target="_blank" href= "http://www.blackfishsoftware.com">Pin Distance</a> - Know your distance to the green
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Cold in GPS terms is usually that you have a complete almanac but no ephemeris data, ephemeris takes a minimum of 30 seconds to receive providing clear line of sight to the satellites (gods). Usually cold is when a receiver has been off for 4-6 hours+.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: