Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to Skippy's post above, it would seem sensible if, apart from the counter-review that I might write, ako and Neil01 were to produce a thread that starts with the problems that have been solved so far. They could set it out in the form that they have advocated (i.e. Problem 1, Solution 1; Problem 2; Solution 2; etc).

I too believe that the list that they produce would be short. However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong. For my objective is to get a working programme from Copilot/ALK. In fact, I imagine that this is the common interest that we all share.

It would also be interesting to see how many working solutions ALK would post on ako and Neil01's thread. They would certainly need to post some, would they not? Is this observation really one should be forbidden? I do not think so.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I do not think that Dave Burrows should have moderator privileges having joined ALK unless, at the very least, he modiies his logo and house style so that it is clear on every post that he is an ALK employee. Even then, whether he should have moderators' privileges and powers at all surely depends what they actually are.
nikpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS - you really are boring me!! All you do is complain about the product and slag it off; unless you know something I don't then machines do not have artificial intelligence that is why the human brian with local knowledge will always be far superior to a computer.
CoPilot is not perfect but neither are any of the other products; I use CoPilot and it always gets me there with POI alerts that work perfectly after taking the advice of other posters on this forum.

The constantly 'slagging' of Dave Burrows bores me - you take the p**s because if it wasn't for him there would be no website. (If I came into your house and slagged you off I'm sure you would tell me where to go)

I have looked through your posts and you offer nothing constructive so wind your neck in and find something helpfull to say rather than the drivel you come out with!
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous,

You seem to want criticism to be the order of the day. If I said I wasn't meaning to criticise then why can't you believe me? I was merely stating what my interpretation of Neil01's post, which he confirmed. I read your slanging match with Dave Burrows and it was just a clash of personalities between you two and not really much to do with the product. It seems you want the same clash with everyone else as well. For the record, I use copilot and while there may be problems, I haven't suffered half of the problems you have. I simply want it to get me from A to B and it seems to do that. Let's just accept that people have different views.

Dave
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to his or her view, and that includes you, ako and Nikpro - and I can live with both of yours.

The fact is that Dave Burrows, in obfuscating the issues, may well have caused these threads to be filled up more than anyone else. I have never met Dave, so can hardly have taken a disliking to him. In fact if and when he starts producing the solutions, the relevant threads will be full of praise for him, no doubt - including from me.

As I have said before, Dave is to be congratulated for producing this forum. However, nothing in life is that simple, and in doing so he did not obtain a licence to have his assumptions taken as fact.

Whether you like it or not, the quality of material placed on the forum is an issue just as much as the issues with which is is supposed to be dealing.

In the meantime, please feel free to clutter up the forum further by CRITICISING (for that is what you are doing), if you wish. Make no mistake, though, if I have something to say in reply then I will say it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I should add that I do not think that Dave Burrows should have moderator privileges having joined ALK unless, at the very least, he modiies his logo and house style so that it is clear on every post that he is an ALK employee. Even then, whether he should have moderators' privileges and powers at all surely depends what they actually are.

Dave has not held moderator privileges since the day left PocketGPSWorld..
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren writes that:

Quote:
Dave has not held moderator privileges since the day left PocketGPSWorld.
That is sensible, for Dave and for the forum team. Although of course I do have concerns about Dave's approach, the need for him to relinquish these privileges is a matter of principle, and is not personal. There are principles that need to be applied, whoever the subject may be, and any assumption that some individuals should be exempt from scrutiny will not advance the debate very far.

Similar principles apply to objections to users' persistence in contradicting statements that do not add up. In order to produce positive solutions, it is first necessary to acknowledge that problems exist. It is therefore fallacious to suggest that contributions that identify problems are negative.
melb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikpro

It was my intention to keep quiet for a while because I've had my say on other threads. But, people like you really do confuse me!

"It gets me from A-B" WOW!!!!!!!(via c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y & z) and this and its many other faults are not just pondorous's experience. There are at least 11 other threads with over 600 posts documenting peoples dissatisfaction with Copilot 5 'live'. There is even a link to an Australian forum where they are experiencing exactly the same faults despite the fact that down-under CP5 uses different mapping data. So, the buck cant be passed on to Navteq....

As for his comments/remarks about Dave.
Ponderious is simply pointing out the fact that he will not admit that this programme is faulty and I admire him for always giving Dave the 'benefit of doubt'.

I can only congratulate Dave for setting up this forum and its a shame that it has to be used in this way. But, you can only blame ALK for this situation because they are notorius for simply ignoring their customers.

As for your 'drivel' comment.........(NO!, I wont lower myself!)

PONDOROUS

Keep up the good work!

melb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with over 600 posts

SORRY! that should have read "with 100's of posts"

(should have 'Previewed it)[/quote]
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS is like a dog with a bone - he just won't let go. But I applaud him for this, as it keeps the serious problems of this promgramme at the top of the agenda on this forum and hopefully in the minds of ALK.

Although I have only had CP5 for 3 months and only really use it at weekends, I don't have the time to document all of the problems that I have encountered during this short period of time.

Even last weekend on a trip from Wirral to Herefordshire, it failed to announce 2 important junctions on the main road which resulted in me going the wrong way.

Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that if I spend the best part of a day detailing the problems and sending them to Dave B/ALK it will make zero difference to me, as I will still have to use a sub-standard product.

If CP6 is due for release in September (as ALK have informed me), then no significant improvements are going to be made to CP5 as most (if not all) of their resources will be directed to CP6.

Whether this will be an improvement on CP5 remains to be seen. But who's going to buy it to find out ???

Baz
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to start long **s posts about this or that, but reading through all this for weeks now, and being a CP5 user in the states and having used 3 other products. IF CP5 is so bad, why keep using it? if there are better products why not use them? Knowing what the other products did, and what CP5 does (or does not do) it works for me, I have some minor issues, but routing for the most part works for me fine. I can tell you that all 3 of the other products, have some sort of lame routing issue as well -- Seems out of the states there are problems and I can't answer either way for those. But the big question, is if this product is so bad, why not use another one? Is it that they too have there faults and why change over? Just curious.. Now back to my quiet mode - Smile
jdw7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....because not everyone wants to (or can afford to) write off the £130 it costs here.
LostBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here, some of us don't have money to burn!! We bought the product in good faith and all we want is for it to do "what it says on the box" Gun Shoot Out

Lost in the Green Lanes of Surrey
nikpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My arguement is that it does do what it says on the box!! Or at least mine does.
Sure there are quicker ways when you know the area but whilest I'm driving it makes it easy to find my location.

I thought the forum was here to provide answeres not just a continually barrage of 'My Product is Crap and the Review Lies - it is accurate as far as I am concerned apart from the traffic side of things which I knew when I bought it.
LostBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikpro wrote:
it is accurate as far as I am concerned apart from the traffic side of things which I knew when I bought it.

There in lies the issue, it does work (as long as you don't use the downloads) but then on the box it does say "traffic" so maybe you knew it didn't work, but not eveyone does!!!

If you bought a new car with Satnav and traffic avoidance and the "traffic" bit didn't work, would you be happy if they were still advertising it and conning other people into buying it...even if one or two people do know!!

As I said, all I want is for it to do what it says on the box...all of it! Embarassed

Lost in the Green Lanes of Surrey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: