Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC in the UK and Navigon non-support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC in the UK and Navigon non-support
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomcat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Now, sometimes when I get back in and connect the PDA back up, and insert the plug into the lighter socket, MN4 does not want to recognise the TMC module (The indicator is red) and this can usually be fixed by turning the GPS off with its own switch and/or restarting the PPC and MN4.

thanks for this, I keep it in mind next time. As a precation, I made a backup of all the .ini files after I got it set up. If you have enough free space on your storage card, (around 10MB) you can even copy the installation .cab file from a subdirectory under your PC installation path. I can't remember the name right now (me - work, PC - home) but it begins with "Device...". If you write-protect this cab file on your storage card, it doesn't delete itself after an installation and you can re-install from it again.
RichS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still support TMC in the UK on MobileNavigator4?

Navigon Support: "Uk have his own TMC system, we don´t support TMC in UK but we have news that our TMC works with our TMC Y-cable."

So there we have it!
lostdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel to France next week...so I guess this will test if this is a problem caused by the unit or by a compatibility problem.
Cerberus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the Y cable from Navigon this afternoon. Wired it in but still don't get any data, although if I watch the TMC screen I can see it stopping on various stations and displaying the station name (didn't do this before). so far seen BBC2,Radio 1, Smooth, + a few others but no Classic FM (should be either 101.1 or 101.8 in the North West I think).

I'll have to go for a drive towards Manchester tomorrow.
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerberus wrote:
Classic FM (should be either 101.1 or 101.8 in the North West I think).
I'll have to go for a drive towards Manchester tomorrow.

Classic FM is 101.1 in the Northwest, but I get patchy reception arround Wirral and Liverpool, via GPS anyhow...
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omertron wrote:
Tomcat wrote:
Apart from yesterday, when the software didn't want to recognice the TMC module at all (which I could only fix by re-installing the software Crying or Very sad )

I leave my GPS receiver in the car hidden behind the tax disk on the left hand side and when I leave the car just unplug the cigarette lighter (keeping the GPS on) and leave it like that Rolling Eyes

Now, sometimes when I get back in and connect the PDA back up, and insert the plug into the lighter socket, MN4 does not want to recognise the TMC module (The indicator is red) and this can usually be fixed by turning the GPS off with its own switch and/or restarting the PPC and MN4.

Stuart

Is there any reason (ignoring battery drain) for not leaving the GPS mouse and PPC permanently plugged in [as long as they can't easily be seen by potentially light-fingered people]? That way it seems the system is slways instantly ready to go.
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Is there any reason (ignoring battery drain) for not leaving the GPS mouse and PPC permanently plugged in [as long as they can't easily be seen by potentially light-fingered people]? That way it seems the system is always instantly ready to go.

I have the same thought for my bluetooth GPS, and have added a car battery protector (Maplin £4.49) which should cut the output when the input voltage (ie the car battery) drops to a predetermined level (at which it should still be possible to start the car.

Oh and it is almost always ready to go - except when one parks in a multi-storey or underground car park, then it appears the receiver needs a 'prompt' in the form of a power-cycle to regain it's marbles.
lostdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on my original post....

having now tried this with the TMC Y-cable and even without it in France, I can say for sure that the TMC functionality does work...and works very well (re-routing me several times in France and I never encountered any traffic delays!).

It does seem odd that it does not pick up anything in the UK without the TMC- Y-cable, but there you go!
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange - mine picks up between 15 & 25 messages routinely in the UK, albeit with patchy Classic FM reception
lostdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly need to have it connected to the radio aerial via the TMC Y-cable...or I get no signal (either inside or outside the car).

One (hopefully final question)...I need to add an extension to the TMC Y-cable to position the receiver correctly. The connection looks like RCA/Phono so can I just use phone leads, or should it be co-ax cable?

thanks
Cerberus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have no problems. I did have when I first got the Y cable (almost had to be on the outer edge of Manchester to get anthing) but traced that down to a damaged/corrosion on my arial, so replaced the arial and it now works perfect. :D
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: TMC - extending the splitter Reply with quote

lostdave - did you ever manage to extend your splitter cable with coax or phono cable ?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: