Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will emtac work ok in backpack?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will emtac work ok in backpack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Will emtac work ok in backpack? Reply with quote

As I understand it GPS uses radio waves to communicate with Satellites so it doesn't need line of sight as long as it isn't going through too much matter.

I assume I can put a emtac into my packpack and have it work fine while it bluetooths to my PDA when I walk around.

Is this correct?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Will emtac work ok in backpack? Reply with quote

GPS do need line of sight, but not quite in the same way as Infrared does. GPS signals can be rebounded off of other objects like buildings, and can also receive reduced signals. The Emtac/Socket BT GPS can however be put in a coat pocket or backpack, the signal will be reduced, but depending on conditions, will probably still be enough for you to have a 3D fix (4+ sats). Bluetooth also being wireless can communicate in the same manner (being another form of WiFi - but shorter distances).
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

I guess I can always dangle it off the back of the pack. Will see how it goes when I get it.

thanks.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

I got a 7 sat fix in my glovebox last night, and a 4 sat fix underneath the front seat, so a backpack should be no probs at all

Andy
SJTaylor
Occasional Visitor

I was getting 10 satellites with it zipped in the inside front pocket of my waterproofs when hiking last weekend. And that was in the trees. Also works fine zipped into the pocket on my rucksack lid (Lowe Alpine style).

A layer of textile or plastic shouldn't affect the signal that much after it's travelled through 100 km+ of atmosphere.
Skeletal
Occasional Visitor

If you fancy the now fairly long read in my thread "New user having bother" you will see I "discovered" that the EMTAC won't work if you hold it in your hand. Also, if you move towards the "front" of it (ie the side with the LEDs visible) you will lose signals quicker than the "back".

I use it placed in the top pocket of my shirt (when walking), but now, place it so the front is facing away from my body.

Placing a metal shield infront of the front also wrecks the signal (not surprising).

So, in a backpack you should be fine. But if you have problems try placing it so the front is pointing away from you, and/or anything metalic in the backpack (sarnies wrapped in cooking foil perhaps?).

I seem to have had more problems than others, but offer these suggestions as you may find them useful.

Skeletal
mshah
Regular Visitor

The Emtac seemed to work while in my bag, in my coat pocket and while in the glove compartment (Don't know how signal rebounds in there when it was locked). Anyway, I'm certain you won't have any problems with it. Not only that, you'll have a decent signal too despite it being in your bag.

Hope that helps
aero
Regular Visitor

One point to make is ensure you get a good fix before it goes in your pocket/backpack.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Read our Otterbox 1000 review http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/otterboxes.asp to discover that in typical British weather the Emtac works perfectly whilst encased in a plastic waterproof container inside a backpack.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: