Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheapest Navigation Device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Navigation Device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Cheapest Navigation Device Reply with quote

I need a very basic device with it main requirements being - able to accept PGPSW camera locations, PGPSW voice warnings and my speed.
I drive a Jaguar ePace and the navigation device works fine but it doesn't accept third party add-ins, its built in speed camera warnings are totally inadequate. Also, its speedometer reads about 9% high at all speeds.
I currently have an old TomTom XL hard wired into the car and mounted into one of the air vents.
When it works this device does everything I want it to (as mentioned above) but it is beginning to fail. It regularly looses its GPS signal and spends most of its time trying to re-connect.
Any suggestions for a cheap replacement? Preferably (but not essentially) a TomTom.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Garmin are about the only ones that accept 3rd party POI's now. They are relatively cheap and I prefer a standalone to built in. Only problem is the digital traffic through a lead has been discontinued, you have to tether a smartphone now.

Mark
AllanKnowles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a decent Android mobile with a large screen for about £120 and add Co-Pilot (about £25pa). Preferably you need a Brodit mount as then you can move it from car to car.

I did this about three years ago when I was looking to replace the Garmin. You can add your own POIs to Co-pilot including cameras.

I got the RV version of Co-pilot as I got fed up with all systems thinking that single track lanes were 60 mph limits!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the last TT that was able to use the Camera Database.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for your help so far.

I just need a very basic device.

I don't need traffic updates (I don't even own a smart phone) and the only three things that I do need are for it to be able to accept PGPSW camera locations, PGPSW voice warnings and to show my current speed.

A Garmin has been suggested and the 'GARMIN Drive 52 MT-S 5" Sat Nav' at about £85 seems to be the cheapest and appears to fit my requirements.

Will that model do the three things that I need?

I will also need it to be vent mounted but the Garmin one has very poor reviews. Any comments anyone.

Once again thank you once again.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that Garmin will do all 3.

As for a vent mount you do need to be careful, a lot of weight. What you could investigate, if a dashboard disc is no good, is a third party mount (Brodit proclip ?) and use one of these, just the flat bit that unscrews off :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arkon-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-Garmin/dp/B003FMUP0U/ref=sr_1_57?crid=25UF0TWBQ0FBL&keywords=Garmin+nuvi+mount&qid=1640513474&sprefix=garmin+nuvi+mount%2Caps%2C1032&sr=8-57
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help - I've bought one and I'm quite impressed so far.

I've now got to tackle putting in the PGPSW safety cameras and voices etc. I'm sure there will be more questions to follow.
Shini
Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As for a vent mount you do need to be careful, a lot of weight. What you could investigate, if a dashboard disc is no good, is a third party mount (Brodit proclip ?) and use one of these, just the flat bit that unscrews off :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arkon-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-Garmin/dp/B003FMUP0U/ref=sr_1_57?crid=25UF0TWBQ0FBL&keywords=Garmin+nuvi+mount&qid=1640513474&sprefix=garmin+nuvi+mount%2Caps%2C1032&sr=8-57

will this be compatible with the TT nav?

[SPAM LINK REMOVED FROM QUOTE]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: