Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom on Android Auto when no internet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom on Android Auto when no internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: TomTom on Android Auto when no internet Reply with quote

So last week had a good use of TomTom via Android Auto.

Even though you can't pass routes to the app, you can set them up in my drive and then when sync you can use them in the app.

You can even start TomTom on the phone and then connect to car and connect to Android Auto which inost cases works perfectly.

What I did notice though was that if there was no mobile signal the display tells you you need a subscription to continue but the app on phone is working fine.

Now if you go back to main menu or load a music app, etc on the AA screen you will still get directions both verbally and with a banner.

I've reported it to TomTom so hopefully they will fix it,but unt then if you use the app and AA beware of this issue.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As and when I get Android Auto I'll initially be testing Google Maps in the foreground and Speedtrap Alert in the background.

With GM you can download the map area you need to your phone so if it loses connection it can switch to the offline maps, so I'm led to believe.

When Garmin announced the end of digital I've been scanning the TT forums for quite a few months and the number of problems has put me off TT.
Since switching from Garmin digital to Smartlink I've been pleasantly surprised by how good it is.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have switched from viaMichelin to Inr8x as the data looks identical to what I'm used to.
When I tested Smartlink back in Jan/Feb this year it was nowhere near as good.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
As and when I get Android Auto I'll initially be testing Google Maps in the foreground and Speedtrap Alert in the background.

With GM you can download the map area you need to your phone so if it loses connection it can switch to the offline maps, so I'm led to believe.

When Garmin announced the end of digital I've been scanning the TT forums for quite a few months and the number of problems has put me off TT.
Since switching from Garmin digital to Smartlink I've been pleasantly surprised by how good it is.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have switched from viaMichelin to Inr8x as the data looks identical to what I'm used to.
When I tested Smartlink back in Jan/Feb this year it was nowhere near as good.

Yes you can with Google Maps, download an area, you can download multiple areas if needed, they do expire after a while (but plenty of time for a 6 month getaway with no internet)

TBH, TomTom ain't been too bad, the only issues are that Google limit was is on the screen for choosing destinations, i don't why but it is stupid. I just wish they update some features so like their AmiGo which is same product but free and can only be used if online.

I will no longer use Sygic due to the move they've made regarding purchases and subscriptions

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: