Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wishlist: Set camera direction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wishlist: Set camera direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Wishlist: Set camera direction Reply with quote

Hi,
CheckPOInt 3.2 works fine for me, but since at least our speedcameras here in Sweden only takes pictures on cars in one direction, it would be great if it was possible to set which lane the camera "shoots" on. As it is today I get a warning from every camera and not just the ones active in my direction.

/Stefan
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this imply that you are wanting to exceed the speedlimit when you picture may not be taken?

If this is used to give you a warning to check your speed then it shouldnt really matter.

Onn a more practical manner it is difficult to implement this as sometimes cameras are shifted from one side of the road to another, sometimes cams are recorded from the other side of the road etc. I apprecate what you are requesting, but would be happier with a more complete and accurate database.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike. There are many types of speed cameras (Sorry, 'Safety Cameras'). Some will take your picture as you approach, some afterwards etc. Some can take pictures of both sides of the road. Some (one near me for example) is turned around every week to take different directions.

Even if it were possible, it would be very difficult to keep the database up-to-date.

Anyway, cameras are placed only at accident blackspots so it doesn't matter which way they are facing... (stop coughing at the back!)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Even if it were possible, it would be very difficult to keep the database up-to-date.
Although I agree with you and Mike on why the database shouldn't support this, the Hardware Speed Camera devices normally do support this very function - with the alert only occuring if the camera can be set for the direction being travelled (which obviously includes cameras that can be swapped between the two directions).

Steve
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better safe than sorry is what I say. I'd rather be warned about a camera that may or may not be facing my way rather than have no warning at all!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Better safe than sorry is what I say. I'd rather be warned about a camera that may or may not be facing my way rather than have no warning at all!
Indeed, and with the ability for a mobile speed camera unit capable of taking front or rear pictures - ie they can cover both carriageways knowing the direction is not useful for the majority of camera sites.

Of course, given that the camera is in place to encourage us all to slow down in that area, we should not need to want to have direction information.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Of course, given that the camera is in place to encourage us all to slow down in that area, we should not need to want to have direction information.

My point exactly, as long as these are placed sensibly where there are accident blackspots.

When they start banning warning devices then all of a sudden they stop becoming safety cameras, and start becoming revenue generators. If you are from out of town you will not know the locations of the cameras, or more importantly the accident blackspots. Could it be that the (potential) banning of camera detectors will actually increase casualties?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: