Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN620 Motorbike use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN620 Motorbike use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: ICN620 Motorbike use Reply with quote

Spoken to Navman , they wont get into the bike market because the unit's don't have an ear piece socket, scared of legal issues! also don't do a hardwire for cars, want it to be a portable product! any one know different?

So for bike use, I am on my own so.............

A baglux tank bag

Cigarette liter power lead into........

BMW Male to Standard Cigarette Female socket.........

Then Accumate female to BMW Female lead.......

Will insert 2am fuse into Accumate battery connection

Will have all the parts in a few days!

Has anyone gone here before?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ICN620 Motorbike use Reply with quote

Martins wrote:
Has anyone gone here before?

Yep! There are a couple of bikers here who have mounted GPS units on their bikes. Thumbs Up

I have a little Garmin GPS-V mounted using a RAM mount on the left handlebar of my CBR600. It's a pretty simple unit and only runs on batteries. One of the guys here did a review of a bicycle mount which is pretty similar to what I use. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/rambikemount.php

Others have used a tank bag with a transparent map pocket to protect the GPS which seems to work OK too.

Tank bags are OK, but I find them too bulky for my bike and riding style - I tend to travel pretty light and take more day trips than long touring rides. The RAM mount is quick release and mounts the GPS unit right beside the speedo where I find it easier to read than on the tank.

Martins wrote:
Spoken to Navman , they wont get into the bike market because the unit's don't have an ear piece socket, scared of legal issues!

Sigh. They sound a bit jobsworth to me! If having something stuck in my ear was the most dangerous thing about biking, I would be a happy man. Rolling Eyes

There are lots of RAM mounts http://www.ram-mount.com/ for PDAs and Garmin GPS units - perhaps they do one for Navman. It might be an alternative to the tank bag option (not water proof though)?

I love having the GPS on the bike, I often plan a route before I go and that way I know how long I am going out for. Being able to find the nearest petrol station quickly can be a lifesaver too!

Good luck and welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Ram Mounts in the UK, also check out http://www.ram-mount-uk.com

Garmin units are waterproof, but the Navman range definately is not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: