Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which TomTom is best need to replace uk & eu
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TomTom is best need to replace uk & eu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom includes worldwide maps, traffic and cameras in the product for android (yearly or 3 year subscription required), you can get your poi on the app, but it is a mess about as you have to have a cloud connection for it and depending on whether you can access it, you may lose these features.

you can't import speed cameras into tomtom though and best use cameralert if subscribed to them, you'll get better warnings and you can change them to how you want.

I have used sygic and it has crashed in the past but i was running a lot of other apps at same time (i had my phone also acting as a dashcam) and I wasn't always in an area to receive the traffic updates and some locations were poor gps reception (tomtom has also crashed due to no gps reception).

I have sygic and don't use it all the time as I now have my Garmin DriveLuxe as main satnav, but if i need to choose a mobile one I would use that over the tomtom app.

Also with Sygic you can import your POI - I use RUPI Manager which can import from various sources and convert for use in Sygic

Ideally try them out and see which best suits your needs
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, walkerx. I don't have time to look into it all at the moment, but maybe after Christmas, although maybe I should just wait and see whether I outlive my 135. It would be an awful waste of time and effort if I don't! Angel
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been gradually dawning on me that I shall need to move on from my trusty XL IQ Routes which has served well for a long time. The obstacle has always been the same, namely finding a device which will accept accumulated POIs and PocketGPS camera information too, of course, and including relevant icons and audible alerts. TT consistently ignores the importance of this information which has caused me to dither over buying a replacement. However, reading the current thread and it seems that a Via 135 may be the way forward (while stocks last, of course).

Is anybody able to help by answering my question, will the Via 135 enable use of the POI and PocketGPS information as per my existing unit? Or is there actually any other TT unit which will do the job (icons and audible alerts are vital)?

Any replies would be gratefully received.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Via 135 was the last TT to accept 3rd party POIs/Cameras. If you are loyal enough to stick with TT, grab one while you can.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Done!
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving on, having tried to figure out what needs to be done in order to add the POIs I thought it a good idea to consult TomTom.

TomTom seem to be suggesting that the POIs will be added only as Favourites and not as actual POIs, and without icons too. Does anybody know if this is actually the case and if it is, whether there's a workaround?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercurial wrote:
Moving on, having tried to figure out what needs to be done in order to add the POIs I thought it a good idea to consult TomTom
Bad idea! Go to the download page where it has installation guides. Consult them, good idea!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercurial wrote:
whether there's a workaround?

Your best bet might be to email Harold Goddijn, who’s the TomTom CEO (email = harold.goddijn[at]tomtom.com) and tell him that all TomTom SatNav products should be able to take custom POIs (with icons) so that you can see POIs whilst driving. Also proximity alerts would be useful as well!

Finally tell Harold that end of life of your TomTom SatNav means end of yours (and others) financial support of TomTom because your next SatNav will be a Garmin if TomTom don’t provide POI support with icons and proximity alerts.

Probably won’t make any difference but if everybody did that it’d give Harold something to think about when the SatNav side of TomTom fails.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mercurial.
Just to clarify so that 'we' are not talking at cross purposes, are you referring to your own POIs that you can navigate to or the PGPSW camera database that you want proximity warnings for or both?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M,

[quote=“Mercurial”]Finding a device which will accept accumulated POIs and PocketGPS camera information too, of course, and including relevant icons and audible alerts.[/quote]

Looks like Mercurial wants to use PGPSW camera database with icons on screen and audio proximity alerts, which would also allow custom POIs with icons as well.

Regards,

Soz about typos, using just an iPhone to type! Embarassed
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then emailing Harold Goddijn is surely not his best bet. Shocked
I suspect that Dennis' advice is the best one. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many other companies strategy TT have probably signed a contract with Cyclops that includes a clause to scupper all other third party cameras.

Most TT owners probably don't realise how out of date Cyclops can be or that there are better alternatives.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true! It makes me cringe as I drive along a motorway which has average speed cameras which we have and TT don’t, then again an empty stretch with TT bleating for long gone cameras. Then I read about somebody desperate for a TT device for the cameras. If TT can’t have accurate cameras on the M4 only 50 miles from London, just what CAN they get right?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I see it as one issue but if you like there are two parts to it.

I need to be able to download (i) POIs (OV2 files), accumulated over a long time, as well as (ii) PocketGPS camera locations. The associated icons as well as proximity alerts for both are required too.

Only the complete package will be accceptable.

It seems that the Via 135 will accept this information but only as a "stripped down" version as Favourites, with no variety of different icons. The icons are vital if one is going to be able to glance at the display and know precisely what is on the route or within the general vicinity (a star only relays that there's something not what it is).

If the Via 135 won't accomplish this then it will just be another useless offering from TomTom.

Garmin perhaps?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then forget TT.
Garmin will give you what you want, but you will have to jump through some technological hoops and understand how the Garmin interprets GPX files before Garmin Express (GE) turns them into the GPI file for loading onto the device.

Different icons for poi types. YES
Proximity alerts for POIs. YES
Spoken alerts. YES

Kremmen has written a program that will handle the PGPSW camera database in CSV form and converts them into GPX files, with all the above, that GE loads onto the Garmin device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: