Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map Pro Features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map Pro Features

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magrat_Garlick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Memory Map Pro Features Reply with quote

What are the "Pro features" that are shown as "disabled" in my bought copy of MM? I can't find any reference to them on MM's site and it stops me importing comma-delimited overlays. I get "License not found for Professional feature" when I try.

Magrat.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Memory-Map (International) the Pro Version has the following features in addition to the Navigator:
Quote:
Memory-Map Professional
Our professional-level license delivers all the features of Memory-Map Navigator, with enhanced compatibility and import/export features for the more demanding applications.

Overlay data import/export
The standard product can import and export using the Memory-Map and Maptech proprietary formats. The professional version adds CSV (comma separated value) and ESRI Shapefile format. CSV is good for managing data using a spreadsheet such as Microsoft Excel. and Shapefiles are widely used for distributing geographic data.

Printing
The standard product only allows map printing up to Letter size (or A4). Use the professional version if you have a large format printer. Tabloid (11" x 17") inkjet printers are quite affordable these days, and they make a big difference when printing out maps for field use.

Hi-res display for Pocket PC
The professional version of Pocket Navigator is compatible with the Second Sight hi-res display.

My understanding when talking to Memory-Map prior to the release of the 2004 edition was that there is no intention to release the Pro version in the UK. I have not had any communication to the contary since then.
Magrat_Garlick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Shame though, comma delimited import would have been useful.

Magrat.
CheshireCat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Memory-Map Pro features Reply with quote

You might find GPSU worth a look:
http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
The author is very helpful, so if it doesn't do what you want today, it might well do so tomorrow.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new upgrade to MM2004 the CSV import has been re-enabled.

I havent tried this but there is no reason that it shouldnt work as before.
CheshireCat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Updated MM2004 and CSV Reply with quote

Using Version 4.2.1 build 413, both "import" and "export" respond with "licence not found for professional features".
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Loading CSV files into Memory-map. Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread, but it is only now that I want to take an excel spreadsheet populate it with points and then have those points in Tom Tom Nav and Memory-map.

I too found the stupid 'you can't load CSV files without a professional license' - OK how much I'll buy one??

Anyway forget that, what you need are the tools that 'Oldie' has been creating. By careful evaluation you can almost get from one format to any other, including proprietary ones, Maptech, Tom Tom OV2 as well as XLS CSV, TXT. The great thing about the tools that he is creating is that he's got just about any coordinate system covered (long/Lat, OS etc).

So CheshireCat download POIconverter and XLSconverter from:

http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com

This is what I'm doing for Pubs.

1.Create an excel spreadsheet with Long/Lat and Name of pub
2. Load sheet into XLSconverter
3. Save as a Tom Tom OV2 file

Works great for Tom Tom POIs

4. I then load the OV2 file into POIconverter
5. Then I save this as a Maptech MXF file.
6. Then I load the MXF file into Memory-map.

Again it work great

You can probably just use POIconverter and create MXF files directly from your CSV file.

One nice to have if Oldie is reading this would be able to specify a category for the points, that way they get listed separately instead of with all other points.

Good job Oldie Thumbs Up
Memory Map
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take you UK MM licence number and go to the US MM web site you can upgrade to the pro version for $99 IIRC. The US Pro licence give you the Pro features on the UK version.
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However it says that you will not be able to print maps at a size greater than A4 - OS version restriction ... Sigh!
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loading CSV files into Memory-map. Reply with quote

TC wrote:
One nice to have if Oldie is reading this would be able to specify a category for the points, that way they get listed separately instead of with all other points.

Sorry TC I have only just spotted this thread.

You did not need to use XLSConverter to set up your pubs file. If you set up a full list of headers in a sheet named Points in Excel and fill in the columns Latitude, Longitude (or OS Grid Reference) and Name then POIConverter will read it and convert it to Maptech Marks. The POIConverter help file gives a list of column names that you must use for importing into POIConverter. The case of the column name is not significant but the spaces are. If you have a problem then please let me know.

Like you I would prefer to import straight into a MMN category but as far as I know the Maptech import does not support it. If you have found a way of doing it then again please let me know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: