Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change map names on PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change map names on PDA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Change map names on PDA Reply with quote

Having downloaded several map areas from the region 9 map to the PDA i have found that when you go to select map they are all listed with the same file name which i cannot find out how to edit to something more relevant than "From OS 1:50K South West Scotland - Region 9. It would be nice to have the facility to label the maps to more relevant titles eg Trossachs, Ayrshire, Borders areas etc.

Has anyone found out how to do this?
moonshine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i bring this back to top?

I would like to do this too.

Gerry
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just open the map from the PDA with Memory Map on your PC, on the Menu click MAP then Edit Map properties, then type in any name you want.

How you open the map on the PC is down to you whether you copy the file from the PDA using active synch or put your PDA memory card in a car reader on the PC.
moonshine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll give this a bash later today.

All the best

Gerry Thumbs Up
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think you have slightly misinterpretted my question. i know i can edit the name of the map on the PC. However, it is this name it grabs when you download using the visible map portion option. Therefore if you download several different visible map portions from say Disc 8 to keep memory usage to a minimum, all the different visible portions will have the same name but the relevant Lat, Long data for each portion.

I have also posted this request on the memory map support forum and have been told that this may be resolved in the next software update which is apparently due for the of july. It is also supposed to fix the elevation profile which doesn't work on the pda on some of the region disks as the relevant qed file isn't transfered.

Paul
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I misunderstand your question, but if you follow my instructions you can have on your PDA map names of adjoining regions such as: "Essex - Start of Journey" "Cambridgeshire - Mid Journey" and "Norfolk - End of Journey".

From what you are doing it sounds like you are editing your maps name on your PC then sending it to your PDA, not editing the downloaded visible map portions name already sent to your PDA.
moonshine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed Mr T's Instructions and it works ok.

What to do is export the area of the map (e.g the Trossachs) that you want to the PDA.. this gives you some long file name....

Then copy the map segment from the PDA back onto the pc. This will give you the map segment which one can open via MM on the PC.

Alter the name in "edit map properties" of the small map that you copied onto the PC from the handheld, drop down menu,. close MM

then copy the small file back onto the handheld, overwriting the original exported visible area map.

your map will now be called "trossachs" on the map list..

any clearer? bit of a fiddle tho!

Gerry
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier now with the latest version where when you select export visible map region (or other) to PDA, you get the option of selecting a folder on the PC. Do this, then open the map using the PC and edit the name then close the map and MM. Now copy the file to the appropriate folder on your PDA using file explorer.
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers moonshine & Mr T exactly the desired result, well done for working out the backdoor solution at least my map names are understandable now. Hopefully MM will make a simpler solution in the next upgrade.

Thanks again
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers moonshine & Mr T exactly the desired result, well done for working out the backdoor solution at least my map names are understandable now. Hopefully MM will make a simpler solution in the next upgrade.

Thanks again

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: