Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should UK LMT-D units come with the digital traffic receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should UK LMT-D units come with the digital traffic receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Should UK LMT-D units come with the digital traffic receiver Reply with quote

Hi,

I Bought a Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D in late August 2017, jut a few days before my wife and I went on holiday to Jersey, Channel Islands.

Now, I was expecting to receive digital traffic data because I had a LMT-D model but I didn't get any traffic data. I downloaded the Smart Link app and paired the phone to the Garmin and I still didn't get any traffic. I sent an email to Garmin (which they never replied to) but that's a different story.

I wasn't surprised to not receive digital traffic in Jersey but after a month later I've started to use the 770 and I would expect to receive digital traffic data in Oxfordshire.

The other day I had a eureka moment and had a look at the power cable. It has the cigar lighter plug but nothing else, it's a straight cable, i.e. it doesn't have a bulge in it that I think that it should.

Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D Manual wrote:
Product models ending in LMT-D or LMTHD can receive traffic data using the built-in digital traffic receiver and the included vehicle power cable (Receiving Traffic Data Using a Traffic Receiver, page 14).

The above makes me think that I should have had a digital traffic power lead.
So the questions are:

1. Should I have had a digital traffic power lead with the 770 PND?
2. If not, what is the type (i.e. model) to get?

Many thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual power lead with the LMT-Ds do not have a bulge, as the receiver is in the satnav. They are marked either TA10 or TA20 on the big end of the lead.
If you are using the wrong power lead, the Traffic Icon will be greyed out when you hit the spanner on the map screen. It becomes active the moment you stick in the correct power cable. (I just checked).
Can you get the Traffic 'fly out' from the RH side of the screen when you select it (if it's not greyed out) and if so, does it say something along the lines of 'Searching for ......'?
If all is well and it's got a lock on, it will say 'No traffic reported' ahead (Assuming there is none).
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the older GTM series of chargers and aerial cables that used to have the bulge to receive traffic. The latest versions are the TA10 (last year model) and TA20 (this year’s model) which is a single power cable to the sat nav with the traffic receiver inbuilt into the unit.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M and BAVC10,

Many thanks for your replies.

I shall be off to work shortly, it'll give me an opportunity to use the 770 and see whether by connecting the power lead the traffic works as have advised. I'll keep my phone on airplane mode to ensure that it doesn't link with the 770.

I'll post its the results when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the lead is in view for your test as it's an aerial, and don't allow it to coil or bunch up near the power plug end (according to Garmin)

Mine is coiled and hidden but being cable tied to a metal dash support works perfectly.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
and see whether by connecting the power lead the traffic works as have advised.
Are you implying that you have not been using the supplied power lead up till now? If so, that would explain your lack of traffic.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would unless he was using smartlink?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi K, M, and sussamb,

OK, I went to work this morning and came back home this afternoon. Both trips were using the Garmin (with the supplied power lead). On the way to work phone was in airplane mode and on the way home phone was in normal mode.

On both journeys, the traffic indicated that it was DAB and that there were no indicated instances on route.

M8TJT wrote:
Are you implying that you have not been using the supplied power lead up till now? If so, that would explain your lack of traffic.

No, sorry for my confusing text. I have always used the genuine supplied power lead in the vehicle.

When I got the Garmin the first time I used it was to drive from Oxford to Poole to catch the fast ferry to Jersey. Which is roughly a 100 mile trip that takes 2 hours. As I was (and still am) a Garmin newbie I was getting used to the basics and comparing it to the TomTom. Once in Jersey I tried to do more advanced things i.e. use traffic but I didn't get DAB traffic to work in Jersey.

Now, a month after being back in Oxford I'm trying to understand traffic (DAB, RMS, and smart link).

But to answer your question, when in the house I'm using the internal battery and charging the Garmin via the USB cable (therefore no DAB traffic) but when in the car I am using the supplied power lead - and getting DAB traffic, now I know what I'm looking for! Wink

By the way, I had a look at the power lead and it is a TA20 (p/n 320-00239-70) which has an input of 10-24v (1.5A) and output of 4.75-5.25v (2A).

sussamb wrote:
Sure would unless he was using smartlink?

Yes, I was using smartlink for a while.

So thank you the everybody who's commented. It was me being a Garmin newbie who even RTFM and was still confused! Embarassed I am getting DAB traffic! Thumbs Up

All I need to do is work out which genuine power lead from Amazon to get in order to run the Garmin in a second vehicle and still get DAB traffic. Wink

Once again, many thanks for your help. Very Happy

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
On both journeys, the traffic indicated that it was DAB and that there were no indicated instances on route.
Well that would indicate that you are getting the traffic service, but there are no traffic incidents on your route.
Quote:
Once in Jersey I tried to do more advanced things i.e. use traffic but I didn't get DAB traffic to work in Jersey.
That sort of implies that there is no DAB traffic service in Jersey. Remember it's on VHF at a higher frequency then VHF radio and that doesn't go a great distance.
Quote:
All I need to do is work out which genuine power lead from Amazon to get in order to run the Garmin in a second vehicle and still get DAB traffic. Wink
How about a TA 20. You can always send it back if it doesn't work.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M,

The genuine power lead that came supplied with the Garmin is a TA20:

Privateer wrote:
By the way, I had a look at the power lead and it is a TA20 (p/n 320-00239-70) which has an input of 10-24v (1.5A) and output of 4.75-5.25v (2A).

OK, I've looked at Amazon and the TA20 result is £15.98, although it doesn't actually say TA20 it looks like my Garmin power lead.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to say either Garmin TA-10 or Garmin TA-20. They pretty much all look like a Garmin adaptor. And they are not that much more expensive from Garmin UK. You absolutely know then that you have the genuine one. I could detect no visible difference between the one I got from Garmin and the one I got from an Amazon trader, except the Garmin one worked.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
... they are not that much more expensive from Garmin UK. You absolutely know then that you have the genuine one..

Thanks for that!

I've had a look at the Garmin online store and here's the TA20 for £17.99 i.e. just £2.01 more than Amazon. So it's worth going to Garmin for the power lead - plus the drop down box confirms that it is compatible with the Camper 770 LMT-D. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
purplebus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I require a new power cable for my Garmin so your link was useful.

Looking at the picture of the cable on the Garmin website shows both ends of the cable. The 'cigar lighter' end I've no problem with but the other end shows a female USB connector whereas I'd have thought that it was male connector that was required to connect to the Garmin.

Or am I missing something ?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the male connector, probably a misleading picture.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplebus wrote:
Looking at the picture of the cable on the Garmin website shows both ends of the cable. The 'cigar lighter' end I've no problem with but the other end shows a female USB connector whereas I'd have thought that it was male connector that was required to connect to the Garmin.
Just had a look at THIS one and it's the right one. It's because the pic of the mini usb is taken almost 'head on'

If you have any doubts, phone them and ask like I did.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: