Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go1005 in need of some life support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go1005 in need of some life support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Go1005 in need of some life support Reply with quote

Gents your advice would be most welcome.

For past 3 weeks, my Go1005 has Screen has started to freeze at random points on a journey, voice alerts will sometimes continue unaffected as will the journey indicators such as distance to go, time, etc. The device never runs on battery and is always attached to a power source.

For example: If screen has just frozen and I am approaching a roundabout, the screen will show a straight road frozen, but voice will announce "at Roundabout take 2nd left" and the roundabout symbol and exit will show in 'Taskbar'.

Touching the Map part of screen does nothing, but occasionally touching the 3d/2d part of screen, the main screen will come back to life, as does my touching the volume part of screen.

At others times it just locks up completely. Even removing from power source has either the device shutting down as would be expected, or can remain frozen. Then keeping power button pressed will either get the drum roll or switch the device off and will be an age before it will respond to being switched on.

This seems to be an increasing problem over the 3 weeks.

Any ideas as to what this may be sand how to correct it?

Or is my Go1005 about to meet the great SatNav Maker in the sky?

If so what would be the best replacement for HD traffic, POI (PGPSW Cameras and the customer database I need)?

Thanks in advance for any advice give, whether it is fun, serious or downright ludicrous Very Happy
GO 920 Dead
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice, but have tried this and got nowhere as device will still lock up
GO 920 Dead
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to remember why I gave up on my 1005 and I think it started dying like yours. With a dead 920 and a dead 950 it seems you are not the sort of person to lend a satnav to!

Anyway, the latest TomToms are all useless for the purpose of our speed cameras and your personal POIs. Are you old enough yet to retire and give up driving?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis- Agreed never lend me a satnav, as after many years service, they die strange deaths Twisted Evil

The 950 had a gladiatorial death, while in my land rover on a major construction site, a bump while taking a bend managed to dislodge the poor thing from the windscreen and it went for a flight through open drivers window. Despite a David and Goliath epic battle, the JCB it head butted meant it was no match and JCB won.

As for retiring alas no, and as for retiring, these new self driving cars may have everyone retire from driving Very Happy
GO 920 Dead
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick,

As you have undoubtedly realised by now, the current range of TomTom are useless as they don't take custom POIs.

This is an unfortunate and alas common situation where long term TomTom users are finding that they are being forced to move away from the TomTom brand because of TomTom's insistence to remove features from their products.

I presume that you wish to keep to PNDs, if so then your only way forward is to go Garmin. At this point I'd have to let those already familiar with Garmin to advise you on which unit to get. Do you have a budget? If you do then that may help us to advise you.

Garmin must be rubbing their hands with TomTom's attitude to features like custom POIs! Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real Garmin advice is to get a LMT-D device.

They give you lifetime maps and free digital traffic which is far better than RDS.

I was going to say streets better or miles better but avoided the puns.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer

Alas, yes, TomTom has dumbed down its devices so much, that apart from HD traffic, they are no better than bog standard devices they provide when they first started.

I still miss the traffic when you could see 75miles and more ahead, so avoid the jams closing the motorways on those long journeys to Scotland (or anywhere), by choosing A1 or M1 or M6 when in south of country.

Seems I will consider the Garmin units as a replacement Budget wise, I am fortunate, I have my own company so can claim as a a legitimate expense, so want a decent unit, HD traffic, custom POI's with voice prompts are a must, and not just for PGPSW cameras.

==================

Kremmen

I am looking at the Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D as possible replacement.

Thanks for all the responses
GO 920 Dead
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I was chatting with another owner of TomTom 1005 who had similar problems.

He advised that he cured his problems by replacing the battery.

Well as this was cheaper than a less capable unit and the learning curve with a Garmin, I replaced the battery.

A fairly straight forward process capable by anyone who is not ham fisted and considers a hammer an alternative for a screwdriver.

Well, a battery replacement seems to have returned my trusty Go1005 back to working order (for now).

It has only been out on a few journeys, so may be too early to confirm all is well, but fingers crossed it has been cured
GO 920 Dead
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick,

Pleased to hear that a new battery has given your TomTom 1005 and extended life.

For the last two or three years I've just used my iPhone as a SatNav (I have TomTom [UK&I, Europe, and GO Mobile], GPS Navigation by Scout, CoPilot, Navigon, maps.me, Waze, and Sygic) and the only one that I like is the old TomTom legacy app which unfortunately has been killed off by TomTom so no more maps, no traffic, and no custom POIs. TomTom GO Mobile is 18 months old and is a very poor replacment.

The time has come for me to try an alternative to TomTom, which is Garmin so yesterday I ordered a Garmin Camper 770LMT-D. I've now got to get used to loading POIs the Garmin way and using a PND again! Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Tangsoodogb
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go1005 did the same thing.
I eventually worked out the unit was overheating due to the sunshine - been very rare until the last few weeks!
I put some post-its on the inside of the windscreen to provide it with a 'sun hat', and it's back working again.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go Live1005 was also showing signs of old age; unresponsive to touch at times, slow redrawing of maps leading to almost missing turns etc. The device is about 5 years old now and it is used daily and almost always with the car charger. Now I noticed that battery life had diminished to barely 15mins from full charge so obviously time for a new battery. Yes? Well, not necessarily; I decided to try cycling the battery by charging fully, then run on battery till dead, charge again, run to depletion ad nauseum. After doing this 4/5 times the battery life had extended to 32mins. After 2 days I cycled the battery twice in succession and today I successfully ran on battery power for 52 minutes! I'll continue the cycling process over the weekend when possible and hopefully in a week's time I'll be getting over an hour per charge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: