Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK GPS Jammer Use Revealed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK GPS Jammer Use Revealed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: UK GPS Jammer Use Revealed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A study by The Sentinel research project (SErvices Needing Trust In Navigation, Electronics, Location & timing) has, for the first time, revealed the levels of GPS jammer us in the UK.

The study used 20 roadside monitors to detect the presence of GPS jammers and, in one location alone, more than 60 GPS jamming incidents were detected in a six month period.

GPS jammers are illegal to use but small, portable devices are widely available. GPS is commonly used to track commercial vehicles and most jammers are used by drivers to thwart this. The study group believe there may be as many as 450 occurrences every day of GPS jammer usage.

Jammers vary wildly in effectiveness and power output. A recent study by GPSWorld of 18 commercially available receives showed an effective range that varied from 300 meters up to 6 kilometers. The danger of such devices affecting critical safety systems is obvious. In 2009 investigators discovered that problems with a navigation aid at Newark airport in the US were caused by a GPS jammer used in a truck that passed each day.

Data from Sentinel monitors have already be used to identify one driver using a GPS jammer but with increasing reliance on GPS for navigation, safety systems, financial market transactions and mobile telephone and power network operation, the project hope to develop better detection systems that can detect jammers and identify the vehicle in which is it being used.

Source: BBC News, GPS World, Economist

email icon

alexwhite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Are you kidding me? Reply with quote

Quote:
A recent study by GPSWorld of 18 commercially available receives showed an effective range that varied from 300 meters up to 6 kilometers

I've read probably all articles at GPSWorld website and I haven't seen such information there. Maybe I've missed it? Give a link please, because GPS jammers have radius of 5 meters (example), 10 meters, sometimes 15 meters maybe, but it is a limit for civil portable models. The jamming radius of 300 meters and up to 6 kilometers you've mentioned is the radius of military jammers, huge and heavy devices which are carried by soldiers in big backpacks. Such powerful devices are not available for common civilians.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I linked to the GPS World item in the sources link at the foot of the story.

GPS World wrote:
The weakest of the four jammers affected tracking at a range of about 300 meters and acquisition at about 600 meters, while the strongest affected tracking at a range of about 6 kilometers and acquisition at about 8.5 kilometers.

Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: UK GPS Jammer Use Revealed Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
GPS jammers are illegal to use
I've seen this quoted in all the articles. Would you know what legislation applies? I assume that it must be something generic like the Wireless Telegraphy Act rather than anything specific to GPS jammers?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it's the Wireless Telegraphy Act. You can't operate any transmitter unless you have a licence for use on that band (unless it's one of the bands exempt from the licence requirements).

Here's the relevant Ofcom page on the subject:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/jammers/
M01cclamma
Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammer can be beneficial if used properly gps jammer are increasingly being employed by those who are concerned about their privacy. That set of people can range from truckers who don’t what their bosses to know every aspect of their journey, citizens concerned about GPS tracking devices on their vehicles, or ordinary people who don’t want the phone company tracking their every move via GPS enabled cellphones.

spam link removed by MaFt - user banned
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M01cclamma wrote:
Jammer can be beneficial if used properly gps jammer are increasingly being employed by those who are concerned about their privacy. That set of people can range from truckers who don’t what their bosses to know every aspect of their journey, citizens concerned about GPS tracking devices on their vehicles, or ordinary people who don’t want the phone company tracking their every move via GPS enabled cellphones.

Citizens worried about being tracked by GPS on a phone can always switch GPS off, as for truckers being tracked, if they're doing only what they're employed (& paid) to do why would they be bothered?
DewayneSTX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm neutral on this point. Illegal as some guys say, the GPS jammer(sample)--the commonly used portable model as this -- really brings people some benefits who care about their own privacy and resort to the jammer to prevent their whereabouts being exposed to other's prying eyes.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam encouraging the use of jammers.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have a mobile phone jammer on occasions.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to be honest, I like the idea of this product. I am not currently tracked in my employment, but can see it on the near horizon (new vehicle due in July) and don't like the idea of being tracked at all. I will fight it tooth and nail, but this product would be useless to me as it also blocks a sat nav signal Sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
but this product would be useless to me as it also blocks a sat nav signal Sad
That's exactly what it is designed to do. However, starting with the spammer, we are all chatting away on a 5 year old thread. Rolling Eyes
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B*gger, I hadn't noticed that Embarassed
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact it was exactly 5 years old when Mr. Spammer started off this latest tom foolery. Very Happy
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: here Reply with quote

jammerfun.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: