Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 Bluetooth or Wired decision
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 Bluetooth or Wired decision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: TT3 Bluetooth or Wired decision Reply with quote

1st post - hi all Smile

I'm an LGV driver and love my high tech gadgets so I'll be wanting one of these gps pda packages.
I've decided on TT3 software and the ipaq 2210 pda but I'm torn between buying one of these 2 packages at totalpda.co.uk:

TomTom Bluetooth Navigator III with iPAQ 2210 and TomTom Car Kit
TomTom Navigator III with HP iPAQ 2210 and TomTom Car Kit

- basically the bluetooth or wired version.
I'll need to get a 24/12v converter too but I'll deal with that later - I'll use it in the car first ;)

I'd like to able to use gps in my car and the truck so portablility is important so I'm leaning towards bluetooth but the 2 things that put me off the bluetooth version are the BT hangups with the 2210 I've been reading about (but I believe this has now been solved with a rom update from HP) and the battery life of the BT gps device (4 hrs! - obviously for long journeys and driving for 9-10 hrs per day this is a bit of a worry). Is the BT gps receiver easily re-chargeable using the tom tom car kit and how long does it take to re-charge?
A comparison of the 2 packages on totalpda shows that the wired version includes 'major routes of europe' maps (which could be useful) whereas the bluetooth version does not include these maps. Is this correct?

Additionally, I'm undecided on sd or cf 256MB memory card for map storage. I've read here and elsewhere that tom tom recommend sd cards but some users advocate cf cards as they use less cpu resources.
decisions, decisions Confused

So basically, I'm asking for advice to help me decide which package to invest in.
thx.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I have just bought the 2210 and TTN3 wired gps and toshiba 256cf card and it it has exceeded my expectations! I don't know about the tomtom BT car kit but the wired version can use a power supply of 12 to 24 volts which mean you should be able to moved it between your two vehicles with out a problem.

dave
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut,

You should find that the software for both of the packages will include UK and MRE maps, though you might want to confirm this first.

The BT Car Kit comes with a cable that you can connect directly from the PDA holder to the BT GPS thus constantly powering it whilst you are on the move, so no worries there. The only consideration is that if you are going tpo have a permanent cable connecting the holder and the GPS then maybe the wired GPS might be the one to go for.

24 volts shouldnt be a problem for the carkit, as oddsock mentions, the 2 carkits are virtually identical.

If you want to use the GPS for walking or any out of car navigation then I would recomend the BT version, otherwise why not go with the cheaper wired one?
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm happy that the gps reciever can get constant power from the mount - that's good news. I'm leaning even more towards the bluetooth version as portability is what I'm after. (I won't always be driving the same truck).
12/24V for the mount is also good news although acquiring a converter wouldn't have been a problem.
I'm sure the UK and MRE maps are available with both the bluetooth and wired versions as it says on the individual spec sheets for each (at totalpda's site) but if you compare the two using the compare feature it contradicts this (it must be a mistake in their website's database).

The only thing I need to confirm now, before I buy, is have the recent rom and software/gps driver updates from HP and tom tom cured the bluetooth hangups on the ipaq 2210? I gather that generic sd cards have been partly attributed to the problem so I intend to buy a branded 256MB sd card from elsewhere. Or I may buy a cf card instead but I remember reading somewhere on here that tom tom recommend sd cards for whatever reason(s).
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is part of an answer I received from tomtom support in answer to my question about CF cards ....."A good quality 256MB CF card will be fine here.

Please avoid purchasing cards made in China or Taiwan these are often poor quality and can caused problems when trying to read back data.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards",

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: