Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audio files and sox.exe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio files and sox.exe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still trying to install one category at a time? If not is it ONLY the 20 mph .wav that's causing a problem?
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Are you still trying to install one category at a time? If not is it ONLY the 20 mph .wav that's causing a problem?

HI. I tried to eliminate possible causes so decided to install the cams without the wavs. Then it said that it was looking for a csv file so I copied the 20 file over as an example and poi loader then told me that it had copied all the others but not the 20 .wav file.

When I tried doing it the 'proper' way and install the lot at the same time, it would throw the error in all speed categories.

What gets me more than anything, when the file are said to have copied, where are they? When I open the files within the unit, it is all jumbled up.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that you get that message "unable to convert" for all speeds.
That guarantees a problem with sox.exe - either it's in the wrong place or it's corrupt.

I would download the sox again. Make sure that you get it from sussamb's link above which takes you to Kremmen's post. That is categorically the place to get it from (because some other versions don't work).

Unzip the sox (or else it still won't work) and, following Kremmen's guidance linked in the second post of this thread, put it in the same folder as PoiLoader.exe (possibly C:\Program Files (x86)\ Garmin \ Poi Loader, or similar).

Everything else should be in your camera folder that you mentioned. (The Garmin Speed Cam folder in 'My Documents'). All of the .csv files should be in here, loose and unzipped, together with all of the .bmp files and all of the .wav files, all loose and unzipped.

THIS camera folder is the folder where your data files can be found (when PoiLoader asks).

All should now run OK.

(I would not try non-standard methods of mixing PoiLoader files and camera data files. I would just stick to the standard system. This is to have both (PoiLoader and sox) in Program Files, and all camera data (csv, bmp and wav) in a folder in My Documents).

Dales.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
when the file are said to have copied, where are they? When I open the files within the unit, it is all jumbled up.
You cannot inspect the camera files on the device. The files are all wrapped up in a .gpi file, probably in a folder "Poi" inside a folder "Garmin" on the unit or its SD card.

No files should be jumbled up - you have to load them with PoiLoader and then they are installed altogether in one .gpi file.

Dales.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would be starting from scratch because something is amiss here.

1) Remove all .gpi file(s) from the Garmin
2) ReDownload SOX and ensure it is in the same place as POILoader
3) ReDownload the camera database including new wav files to make sure you have the correct format wav files.
4) Make sure you have full access to the folder where the csv, bmp and wav files are. Maybe create a dedicated folder like C:\PGPSW\. If your camera folder is in Program Files for example then the latest Windows versions will often deny access. If you have a D:\ drive or partition, even better.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
You say that you get that message "unable to convert" for all speeds.
That guarantees a problem with sox.exe - either it's in the wrong place or it's corrupt.

I would download the sox again. Make sure that you get it from sussamb's link above which takes you to Kremmen's post. That is categorically the place to get it from (because some other versions don't work).

Unzip the sox (or else it still won't work) and, following Kremmen's guidance linked in the second post of this thread, put it in the same folder as PoiLoader.exe (possibly C:\Program Files (x86)\ Garmin \ Poi Loader, or similar).

Everything else should be in your camera folder that you mentioned. (The Garmin Speed Cam folder in 'My Documents'). All of the .csv files should be in here, loose and unzipped, together with all of the .bmp files and all of the .wav files, all loose and unzipped.

THIS camera folder is the folder where your data files can be found (when PoiLoader asks).

All should now run OK.

(I would not try non-standard methods of mixing PoiLoader files and camera data files. I would just stick to the standard system. This is to have both (PoiLoader and sox) in Program Files, and all camera data (csv, bmp and wav) in a folder in My Documents).

Dales.

Let's go through this step by step. I won't complete it all until late Tuesday or Wednesday due to commitments but with your help, should get there.

1. I have always downloaded sox from the link kindly provided by Kremmen and pointed at by susamb and yourself. I have cleared my laptop of all previous downloads of all files and have just created a folder which I have called POI loader and sox.exe in 'My Documents'. As sox or poi loader are the likely culprits, I'm hoping that this install will be all the help I'll need. I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder. The speed camera files and the other POI's will be installed in their own folders in My Documents.

2. I downloaded sox(size 418KB) and extracted it into the folder by clicking on 'extract all'. It is now in the folder so is it unzipped at this point? I think it is as it's size here is 1.63MB. When I look in the folder, it is just called sox and not sox.exe. I right clicked on it and ran as administrator. A box flashed up for a split second then disappeared (to where I know not). Nowhere does it mention unzip the file.

3. I have also downloaded and extracted POI Loader for Windows software version 2.7.3 but the installation doesn't give me the option to put it into the same folder as sox. When I try and install it, the first screen says "Click next to begin the installation of the software, so I do that. Then in the next box have to accept the terms and conditions, so I do that. The next box says "wait while POI loader installs". The progress bar takes a few seconds and the next box says "Setup of Garmin POI loader complete - click exit to finiish and close the setup wizard". The box "Launch POI loader now" is ticked. To open POI loader, I have to go into apps and double click but obviously, sox isn't in there. What I did in the past was to copy POI loader from 'downloads' and into the same folder as sox. By starting it up from there, I thought all was well, but audio didn't install.

That's as far as I can go for tonight as I have an early start tomorrow. Thanks guys.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that sox.exe is just called sox on your machine is because you have not set explorer to display file extensions. Google it to find out how on your version of windows.

This is like pulling teeth. sox.exe DOES NOT go in the same folder as the the rest of the downloaded camera files. It goes in the same folder as the POILoader file. You have been told this several times before. Now watch my lips. When you install POILoader is installed on your C:\drive in a folder called either C:\Program Files\ Garmin\POI Loader or C:\Program Files(x86)\Garmin\POI Loader. Just as confirmation, in that folder there should be a file called POILoader.exe (the .exe will only show if you have file extensions displayed) as well as loads of other files. This is where sox.exe goes. You do not run or doubleclick sox.exe, Just put it in the aforementioned folder. We are all working on the assumption that you have actually installed the POI Loader program onto your computer. Have you?

All the downloaded .CSV, .BMP and .Wav files DO NOT go in the aforementioned folder. Put them in the folder that you have created in your Documents folder. But FFS don't call your new folder 'POI Loader' like you have done as that will cause you even more confusion. Rename it and call it PGPSW Cameras or something like that. Now unzip (if necessary) the PGPSW and put them in this newly created folder.

PS. Don't 'Quote' my message, use the 'Post Reply' button at the bottom left of the page
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my tutorial there is a picture with 2 arrows showing POIloader.exe and sox.exe in the same folder.

This folder is not user created.

So:

Install POILoader as a Windows program, which it is. Then go and hunt it down. It will be somewhere in \Program Files\Garmin.

Once you've found it - put sox.exe into that folder where POIloader installed to.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
In my tutorial there is a picture with 2 arrows showing POIloader.exe and sox.exe in the same folder.

This folder is not user created.

So:

Install POILoader as a Windows program, which it is. Then go and hunt it down. It will be somewhere in \Program Files\Garmin.

Once you've found it - put sox.exe into that folder where POIloader installed to.

Didn't know that. Thank you.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The reason that sox.exe is just called sox on your machine is because you have not set explorer to display file extensions. Google it to find out how on your version of windows.

This is like pulling teeth. sox.exe DOES NOT go in the same folder as the the rest of the downloaded camera files. It goes in the same folder as the POILoader file. You have been told this several times before. Now watch my lips. When you install POILoader is installed on your C:\drive in a folder called either C:\Program Files\ Garmin\POI Loader or C:\Program Files(x86)\Garmin\POI Loader. Just as confirmation, in that folder there should be a file called POILoader.exe (the .exe will only show if you have file extensions displayed) as well as loads of other files. This is where sox.exe goes. You do not run or doubleclick sox.exe, Just put it in the aforementioned folder. We are all working on the assumption that you have actually installed the POI Loader program onto your computer. Have you?

All the downloaded .CSV, .BMP and .Wav files DO NOT go in the aforementioned folder. Put them in the folder that you have created in your Documents folder. But FFS don't call your new folder 'POI Loader' like you have done as that will cause you even more confusion. Rename it and call it PGPSW Cameras or something like that. Now unzip (if necessary) the PGPSW and put them in this newly created folder.

PS. Don't 'Quote' my message, use the 'Post Reply' button at the bottom left of the page

WAW. You really are an angry old man and one without patience too. Kremmen has pointed me in the correct direction albeit in a polite way.

Now, for the absence of any doubt YOU may have, if you read my last post, what part of "I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder. The speed camera files and the other POI's will be installed in their own folders in My Documents" do you not understand?

It appears that my mistake is creating a folder in which to put POI Loader and sox.

And please, I don't appreciate being sworn at even if it IS abbreviated!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read your previous post quite closely, but still am not sure that you are getting it right or not because of the terminology that you use. For instance, have you really created a folder called 'POI loader and sox.exe' into which you intend having POI Loader and sox.exe? If so, why are you really complicating things far beyond what's actually required?
topref wrote:
have just created a folder which I have called POI loader and sox.exe in 'My Documents'. As sox or poi loader are the likely culprits, I'm hoping that this install will be all the help I'll need. I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder. The speed camera files and the other POI's will be installed in their own folders in My Documents. {snip} if you read my last post, what part of "I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder. if you read my last post, what part of "I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder.{/snip}
Have you used the POI Loader installation procedure to install POILoader into your newly created POI LOader folder? As you say you 'put it there'.
Just install POI Loader using the default setup routine, make a note of the install folder (Likely c:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\POI Loader. and put a copy of sox.exe into that folder. Simples.
Then create your new folder in My Documents, (It's your data folder) and extract the PGPSW files into that.
Run POI Loaded and 'point it' at your data folder. It will 'just work'
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I did read your previous post quite closely, but still am not sure that you are getting it right or not because of the terminology that you use. For instance, have you really created a folder called 'POI loader and sox.exe' into which you intend having POI Loader and sox.exe? If so, why are you really complicating things far beyond what's actually required?
topref wrote:
have just created a folder which I have called POI loader and sox.exe in 'My Documents'. As sox or poi loader are the likely culprits, I'm hoping that this install will be all the help I'll need. I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder. The speed camera files and the other POI's will be installed in their own folders in My Documents. {snip} if you read my last post, what part of "I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder. if you read my last post, what part of "I intend just having POI loader and sox.exe in the aforementioned folder.{/snip}
Have you used the POI Loader installation procedure to install POILoader into your newly created POI LOader folder? As you say you 'put it there'.
Just install POI Loader using the default setup routine, make a note of the install folder (Likely c:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\POI Loader. and put a copy of sox.exe into that folder. Simples.

My mistake was to create a folder in my documents and put poi and sox in there. Didn't realise poi went into windows and that sox joined it there.

As for complicating things, that's the story of my life but I know now thanks to Kremmen and (eventually) yourself.

This latest response of yours was better inasmuch as it didn't contain any profanities. Didn't hurt did it. 😗
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for my previous post. I was getting frustrated by your problems, apparently making a fairly simple task into a saga.
Please let us know how you get on with it.
It should 'just work' with all your data files going into your data folder, and once you have copied sox.exe into the POI Loader install folder. forget all about it apart from where the shortcut is Very Happy

PS. Poi isn't 'put' anywher, you have to install it there. It doesn't install into the Windows folder, it installs into Program Files.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
My apologies for my previous post. I was getting frustrated by your problems, apparently making a fairly simple task into a saga.
Please let us know how you get on with it.
It should 'just work' with all your data files going into your data folder, and once you have copied sox.exe into the POI Loader install folder. forget all about it apart from where the shortcut is Very Happy

PS. Poi isn't 'put' anywher, you have to install it there. It doesn't install into the Windows folder, it installs into Program Files.

Thanks. I am a returning customer from Mac to Windows (and it's win 10 too) so that's not helped.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now doubly determined to get you sorted out. Right then, as I am a bit confused as to what you have or haven't done. Can we start at the beginning and see what you have done?
Use Windows explorer and check stuff out. As it's a Windows 10 machine, I suspect it's a 64 bit OS.
Firstly, have you set Explorer (File Explorer, not Internet explorer) to display file extensions?
If not, go into File Explorer, click the 'View' Tab and check (tick) the 'File name extensions' check box.

Now have a browse of your C:\ drive in File Explorer.

1. Have you got a POI Loader folder on your C:\ drive in the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\POI Loader?
2. If Yes, then does it contain the file POILoader.exe and a bunch of other files, mainly xxx.DLL files?
3. Have you copied an unzipped copy of SOX.EXE into this folder?
4. Do you have a short-cut on your desktop that opens POI Loader? It should fire up POI Loader at the Welcome splash screen with the 'Next', 'Cancel' and 'Help' Buttons

If the answers to all four are YES, then we can proceed. If the answer to any one of them is 'NO' then tell us which one it is.

P.S. Please use the 'Post Reply' button instead of the 'Quote' button. It prevents the thread being cluttered up with totally unnecessary quotes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: