Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tractor Speed Cameras Are Harvesting Results
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tractor Speed Cameras Are Harvesting Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Tractor Speed Cameras Are Harvesting Results Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Following our story earlier this week: "Police Chief Calls For Hidden Speed Cameras", it has been confirmed that Humberside Police are hiding speed cameras in tractors.

The initiative is successfully catching offenders, particularly motorcyclists, who persistently travel over 100mph on country roads.

This is a departure from previous official recommendations that speed cameras should be visible.

A spokesman for Humberside Police Road Policing unit said: "Vehicles, which are detected travelling at very high speeds, are stopped further along the road and drivers/riders are spoken to and dealt with at the roadside. Although the majority of offenders are motorcycles, a number of cars are also dealt with."

He added "We regularly record speeds in the high 90s and over 100mph, these being on country roads where the National Speed Limit of 60mph is in force. Someone pulling out onto the road does not expect a vehicle coming towards them at such high speeds, the likelihood of a catastrophic collision is raised considerably.

Source
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android
email icon

PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think it's very necessary to hide cameras.

I much prefer cameras to humps and chicanes, as cameras only affect the law breakers. Average speed cameras are particularly sensible, as they don't catch people who briefly inadvertently go over the limit or who momentarily exceed the limit a little to safely overtake.

For too long it's almost looked like the authorities don't want to bother with speed and other traffic offenses, and so it's not surprising most people seem to ignore speed limits and regard traffic lights as advisory.

A typical example on a weaving stretch of the A12 this afternoon, when I was traveling at 64 mph indicated (a true speed of 59 mph) in a national limit single carriageway (60 mph limit). The chap who'd been tailgating me for some time decided to cross double white lines to pass me so he could put his foot down.

If it was my decision, there'd be a special traffic Police force in unmarked, video equipped cars and in sufficient numbers to make a difference. People driving recklessly should lose their licence completely, not just for a few months, so that after a ban period they apply completely afresh for a provisional license with all that entails. Serious offenders should have their vehicle seized and crushed after period to allow appeals to be heard.

If there was a serious chance of getting caught and severe penalties, maybe more people would be law-abiding. And maybe then some of the speed limits that are hard to justify could be reviewed.

If the same proportion of the population hit old ladies over the head and stole their handbags, or put a brick though jewellers' shop windows, something would have been done about it long ago.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I agree that I'd much rather have average cameras than all the speed humps and mini roundabouts etc that litter our roads, damaging cars and driving up fuel consumption / emissions, I'm very grateful that you don't have the 'decision' on overall speed legislation.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a new icon for the camera database!!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, a tractor? Very Happy
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or horsebox!!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Nextbase dashcam I can send footage to Plod. If I had footage of a car overtaking on a double white line and speeding to do it that would be straight into their inbox.
Whether they acted on it is another question.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
With my Nextbase dashcam I can send footage to Plod. If I had footage of a car overtaking on a double white line and speeding to do it that would be straight into their inbox.
Whether they acted on it is another question.

Not sure whether the police would act upon submitted footage, and I guess that a lot of other people aren't sure either - that may be why there's so much on YouTube.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Coelacanth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're buying a dash cam to just send footage to the police, then you've got a dash cam for the wrong reasons.

Become a police officer / special if you want to police.

Just my personal opinion.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coelacanth wrote:
I think if you're buying a dash cam to just send footage to the police, then you've got a dash cam for the wrong reasons.
I don't think that the OP intimated that's what he bought a dashcam for at all. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: