Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio mivue 538 deluxe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio mivue 538 deluxe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaflonpink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Mio mivue 538 deluxe Reply with quote

Hi there
Is there anyway I can install a full UK safety camera data on my new Mivue 538 deluxe dash cam. This device has a camera download for life and Mio make a lot of this in their marketing, but it's only fixed camera data so in the UK is of little use. I contacted Mio only to be told " no that's it, fixed camera data only" not helpful at all.
I'm happy to pay as I already do for my TomTom so if anyone can help I would be very grateful. The updates from Mio is a .bin file.

Many thanks
Jaflonpink Rolling Eyes
rbates1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, did you ever get this to work? I want a dash cam and a device to give speed camera alters as now have inbuilt sat Nav (used to use TomTom with PGPS cameras). If not what is the quality of the speed camera database? I do not mind about mobile vans but do want fixed cameras and average cameras (fixed and in roadworks etc). Also want to see the speed limit on screen so I can check against my speed - obviously 99% of the time I am below! Thanks
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mio mivue 538 deluxe Reply with quote

jaflonpink wrote:
Hi there
Is there anyway I can install a full UK safety camera data on my new Mivue 538 deluxe dash cam. This device has a camera download for life and Mio make a lot of this in their marketing, but it's only fixed camera data so in the UK is of little use. I contacted Mio only to be told " no that's it, fixed camera data only" not helpful at all.
I'm happy to pay as I already do for my TomTom so if anyone can help I would be very grateful. The updates from Mio is a .bin file.

Many thanks
Jaflonpink Rolling Eyes

very interested as i have the same query too thanks
rbates1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a unit and found that it can have custom speed camera locations however the files are BIN and don't make any sense when edited with notepad etc. From what I found the database therefore can not be edited. I submitted a support case regarding a bug on the latest firmware as well but had no reply.

In terms of quality of speed camera database... it's no where near as good as pocketgps. It has most fixed locations but did not have some average cameras in road works, told me about 2 x fixed cameras today which were not there, the variable speed cameras it has most but not all - would love to be able to have pocketgps on it!!
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply seems a shame not being able to use more speedcam locations,what was the fw error plz
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also contacted mio re mobile cams but no reply yet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbates1234 wrote:
the files are BIN and don't make any sense when edited with notepad etc.
So what it needs is someone very clever to unpick the data file to find out how the data is stored within it and then write a converter program that will process a text file into the correct data format. Simples. Except of course unless the data is encrypted.

@iwols
Just what did you ask them about mobiles?
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just asked them if mobiles would be added and if not why not
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will let you know the answer if i get one,cant believe that with so many formats of speed camera data base that one of them cannot go in the mio 538d ,sure is a let down after sending my 538 one back for the deluxe version with speed cams not to actually use them,no boffin but surely they are only text/data files,come on guys someone must have a solution cheers iwols
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbates1234 wrote:
however the files are BIN and don't make any sense when edited with notepad etc

Tells us that they are not plain text files.
rbates1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not studied the files but look encrypted to me, make no sense at all so doubt a human can 'unpick'! I don't actually want mobile database as just goes off all the time and 99% there is nothing there - sensible driving and good eyes normally does the trick! I do want a database I can trust... I miss my tomtom, my inbuilt sat Nav and this device for speed cameras is no match for a TomTom with live traffic and pocket speed camera database!
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure why they would be encrypted think thats just the way these files are made up any boffins on here Very Happy
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest answer from mio when asking about inclusion of mobile safety cameras

"No, unfortunately not as our safety camera provider for our MiVue devices, RoadPilot, do not include these as part of their safety camera database."
rbates1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least now we might be able to find a way of reading road pilot bin file - assuming the data has not been edited for the device prior! Which it probably has been Sad. In a perfect world we want to make our own bin file from pocketgps camera data and pop on a memory card to update the device!...
iwols
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solution no closer

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: