Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting rid of Average Pseed on Go 1005 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting rid of Average Pseed on Go 1005 Live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briandavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Getting rid of Average Pseed on Go 1005 Live Reply with quote

Will anyone rid me of this pestilent feature!!!
Insted of telling me what speed I'm going, which is useful, my Tom Tom Go switches to AVERAGE speed the moment it detects and average speed zone. This is WORSE THAN USELESS. Worse than, because it got me a ticket.
It tells you your average speed since you entered the zone - could be 30 miles back!. But the cameras measure your average between each camera. So it's perfectly possible for the Tom Tom to read 55mph (average since you entered the zone) but you have averaged 58 mph between the last two cameras.

Also I need to know what speed I am doing - accurately. I have cruise control all I need is an accurate speed to set it by (press the button at the speed you want to go at, then up or down to adjust a bit). All I need is an accurate speed read out and all I GET is an average from the moment it detected the zone. This is normally nonsense. Brake from 75 to 50 as you enter the zone - average reads 68, Speedo 50. Go around a roundabout in an average zone (A616) You hit 65, it says 38

Enough the point is made, This feature should be OPTIONAL but I cannot turn it off!!. I want my proper speed back like I had on the XL IQ until they "updated" that. There has to be a way.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have a speedometer in your car? That was designed and installed to tell you how fast you are going.

There is always a bit of a time lag with the speed feature on a satnav device. Just because your TomTom calculates the average speed doesn't mean you have an excuse to blame it for being wrong.

It's your car and your responsibility to drive within the law which means looking at your car's speedometer Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coo, that was an epic rant, wasn't it.
If you're that concerned, keep your speedo reading lower than the posted average speed and you won't get a ticket.
In the mean time, if you were to ask without the rant, you might get the answer along the lines of what you want is not possible on a TT. That's the way they designed it. But CA on a smartphone works just as you might expect, and you can reset the average speed whenever you want. Can you not reset on the TT?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical of TT these days to replace a useful feature with useless one. I don't have a modern TT so can't help you but I do hope that you find a way.

However, I do have a very low tech work around which I use on my motorbike. The TT Rider displays the current speed but it is too small to read through my visor if it is raining or very sunny. When it is safe to do so (I.e. on a long, straight, fast road with no other traffic and not within a Specs zone) accelerate to the required speed (30, 40, 50, 60 or 70) using the TT and hold that speed for a few seconds then glance at the speedo and make a mental note of the reading. On my motorbike I have used Tippex to make small "dots" on the speedo as reference points.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I long ago discovered that TomTom's average speed calculation behaves like this - average since it detected the start of an average zone. That was near Bristol, when the zone was frequently congested at the start, giving my start speed as 15mph, but freeing up as I got in there.

Mind you, I'm a bit surprised at you getting a "meaningful" representation of TT average speed zones - it's a good day when they actually have their speed cameras operational at the same time as the roadworks have speed cameras operational!

1. Disable the speed cameras from TomTom - you've already got evidence that they aren't much use.

2. Install the PGPSW database. Sadly the 1005 won't do average speed calculations from the data, but at least the locations will be accurate and up to date.

3. Alternatively, get CamerAlert for iPhone or Android for the complete solution - the average speed zones are recalculated for every camera.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting rid of Average Pseed on Go 1005 Live Reply with quote

briandavison wrote:
................Also I need to know what speed I am doing - accurately. I have cruise control all I need is an accurate speed to set it by (press the button at the speed you want to go at, then up or down to adjust a bit).............

Surely as the driver of a vehicle with cruise control, it had the optional extra of a speedo.

Why not observe the speed limit signs and set speed limiter / cruise control to that posted limit.

Or you could be daring and use the right foot and brain to control the speed of vehicle manually to keep within posted limits.

TomTom PND's may have their faults, but they cannot be blamed for driver errors!
Driving
GO 920 Dead

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: