Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEWBIE SEEKING ASSISTANCE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWBIE SEEKING ASSISTANCE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SILVA4471
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: NEWBIE SEEKING ASSISTANCE Reply with quote

Hi

I am a newbie to this excellent site and have purchased POI and successfully installed it on my Kenwood DNX4230DAB Entertainment and satnav unit using Garmin POI loader.

Two points I would appreciate explaining

1.I have just come back from a motoring holiday (UK) and have been driven crazy by the sheer volume of the speed alerts (as opposed to actual camera warnings which were of course welcome) and wonder if there is any way of switching this feature off or can I elect not to load it with my next poi installation?

2.How do I delete the existing POI database and replace it with the latest one or does it delete automatically during installation of the new one?

Any assistance gratefully received. Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say you paid for POIs, I assume that when you are referring to POIs, that you are actually referring to the camera data within the PGPSW camera database, not random KFC etc. POIs?

1. Speed alerts do not come from the PGPSW camera database. They are usually embedded in the map data for the device. So there is no way you can elect not to download them from here, as they don't exist here.
There will almost certainly be a setting on your device to turn them on or off.

2. Dunno. But someone else will.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SILVA4471,

1) The warnings you were alerted to were probably from verified Mobile Speed Trap locations and possibly from unverified pMobile locations also. As you know, these sites are purely temporary and can spring and close down again in a matter of moments. Turning them off could be a costly decision.

I'm not sure about the Kenwood system but, until a more experienced Kenwood user comes along, it may be worth going through your device and unchecking the Mobile and pMobile speed camera POI's, if possible.

2) Generally yes, uploading a newer version usually overwrites the previous version. However, if you are downloading a different version with different/more/less folders or files there may be some stray files that get left behind and cause problems.

I would suggest a clear out and reinstall but a Kenwood/Garmin user may know a simpler way.

Not much help I know, but it may give you something to start fiddling with until better advice comes along.

EDIT _ OOPs! M8TJT sneaked in while I was making a cuppa and composing a reply. Therefore my wording may not make sense when read in conjunction.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali wrote:
Therefore my wording may not make sense when read in conjunction
Yes it does. I hadn't thought of mobile/pmobile cams as the OP referred to 'speed alerts', which I took to be 'speed limit' alerts not 'speed alerts with no cam there', as what happens with the aforementioned mobiles/pmobiles.
SILVA4471
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT

You are correct ......I was indeed referring to the PGPSW camera database and the speed alerts sound whenever there is one of the illuminated speed limit advisory signs or when there is merely a road marking stating the speed limit.

ALIONHOLS

Many thanks for your input

Is there anyone else who owns a got a Kenwood Unit that could assist before I take the plunge, delete existing PGPSW and upload the newer database please?

Thanks again to all for your kind assistance
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are correct ......
What was I correct about? I put forward a couple of conflicting suggestions re. PGPSW database/map speed limit data.

Are you absolutely certain that your 'false alarms' are coming from the PGPSW database?
The PGPSW should only contain locations of speed cameras. There are three main types of camera in the database: 1. Fixed cameras, which will always be there when you go past. 2. Possible Mobile camera sites, that usually will not be there when you go past. and 3. Unverified possible Mobile camera sites that will also usually not be there when you go past.

What it (shouldn't) does not contain is the location of those vehicle activated flashing signs that tell you are going too fast and statutory road speed limit changes. The latter data are often contained in the device map data and apparently, Garmin is one of those who do have speed limit data.

Are you telling us that either of the latter two types are in the PGPSW database and are you certain that they are coming from PGPSW? If so, and you report the mistake, you could get a year's free subscription if you accurately report the mistake and your submission is then verified as correct. But first you need to be certain that the incorrect data is being reported by the PGPSW database so that you don't send a verifier on a wild goose chase.

When you download the PGPSW database, you get the option of downloading/not downloading pMobiles (the unverified Mobile camera sites) this will reduce 'false alarms' but could be the site of a 'new' mobile trap that has not yet been verified and thus just as likely to trap you as verified ones.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like M8TJT says, that is not normal behavior for the PgpsW camera database. It is just fixed and mobile camera site that you shall be alerted to. I think that I would go through the settings and turn all warnings on your Kenwood off ,going for a drive to confirm and then gradually add back just the PgpsW warnings.

In the top, right hand corner of this page there is a search box. It might be worth searching for Kenwood (if you haven't already) and seeing what other members have previously discovered.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
SILVA4471
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks

M8TJT

As stated you were correct in as much as my purchase was for PGPSW camera database.

AlionOnHols

Thank you for your suggestions

I will report back once I have got to the bottom of it.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please do. If you need any further help in the meantime, just post here. Very Happy
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there's been some suggestions on other Kenwood threads, that adding the database does also trigger speed alerts. Maybe a search would be useful? Or input from a Kenwood user? Or being moved to the appropriate forum?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: