Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Truck navs .. how knowledgeable are they ..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Truck navs .. how knowledgeable are they ..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Truck navs .. how knowledgeable are they .. Reply with quote

These various truck-navs from a few quid up to hundreds .. do they 'know' the roads, or just the width, height, weight etc restrictions points.

There are many roads 'Not suitable for HGV's', .. are these truck-navs aware of such?
GJH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Nozatec for our motorhome and it does, generally, avoid the more narrow roads. It seems to do so by road type though rather than using knowledge of width of individual roads gleaned from satellite data.

It also seems to have legal restrictions programmed in but the regularity with which they are updated is much less frequent than for, say, a TomTom car unit. I wouldn't like to say that it has records of all "unsuitable" roads.

I bought the Noza Tec after reading peer reviews of it and the much more expensive units as it didn't seem to have much less, in terms of data, than the latter. At the price, though, it is worth a punt.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nozatec comes in two flavours, Truck and Car. The Truck version has an extra data file. You can also set up the size of your vehicle etc.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various Garmin devices both for truckers and those with motor homes or RV's. An advantage would be the relatively frequent map updates

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/camper/cOnTheRoad-c518-p1.html
taid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an aging Tomtom, which I have never permitted to get me into serious trouble, and generally avoid the narrower roads by specifying 'Fastest route', but towing a great hulk of a TA caravan I would like to be more certain that it was trustworthy.

Whether I want (or could convince Nain) to spend the kind of money required for eg a new all singin', all dancin' Garmin or other top end box I am not sure, and after seeing the adverts for Noza tec (and others) at barely above pocket money prices, I thought I may have a punt at one of those if others could speak up for them.
taid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still considering .. life has been a bit fraught for the last several months ..

There seems some doubt on the net whether you can put PGPSW cameras and POIs on .. can you comment please ..

GJH wrote:
We have a Nozatec for our motorhome and it does, generally, avoid the more narrow roads. It seems to do so by road type though rather than using knowledge of width of individual roads gleaned from satellite data.

It also seems to have legal restrictions programmed in but the regularity with which they are updated is much less frequent than for, say, a TomTom car unit. I wouldn't like to say that it has records of all "unsuitable" roads.

I bought the Noza Tec after reading peer reviews of it and the much more expensive units as it didn't seem to have much less, in terms of data, than the latter. At the price, though, it is worth a punt.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt. You CAN easily put the PGPSW camera database on the Nozatec devices provided that you have (fairly limited) experience with file handling on a PC or MAC.

They are running iGO software which uses the directional data in the PGPSW cam database and doesn't alert you for cams on the other side of the road, but does display them on the map.
WRT the truck. I have the truck data and have tried to plot routes under low bridges etc. and it has not routed me through them. There was a problem at one time with the vehicle size, whereby you had to over size your vehicle, which I suspect was a metres/feet mix-up.

The only thing you don't get of course is any form of live traffic info, but you do get historic traffic which is supposed to help with routing, but I've never seen it actually work, but I live in an area where alternative routes to the busy ones are much longer or unsuitable but it does alter your journey time depending on the time of day, so obviously it's doing something.
taid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M8TJT

Looks like I may well be going ahead .. now to decide if Bluetooth may be useful in the future .. current phones (and all other kit I have) don't use it.. normally have Nain alongside to handle calls ..

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't actually know the roads it only use height width and weight to avoid problems I always put my height 2-3 inches above my actual height.
They mainly stick to larger roads. But in 10 years of using truck satnavs I've never got stuck. Yes on a couple of occasions its tried a suspect road. But usually your instinct will tell you if you can get down it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

They mainly stick to larger roads. But in 10 years of using truck satnavs I've never got stuck. Yes on a couple of occasions its tried a suspect road. But usually your instinct will tell you if you can get down it

... or a road sign ... folks may remember those, we used to use them years ago along with maps before we all relied on our satnavs Laughing

Last edited by sussamb on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
taid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes .. but I can't see the sign 5 miles away when I need to take a different route entirely to avoid it ..
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I was continuing on from alix766's post ... and commenting on using 'instinct' Wink

I wasn't implying you could see it 5 miles away Very Happy
taid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
There is no doubt. You CAN easily put the PGPSW camera database on the Nozatec devices provided that you have (fairly limited) experience with file handling on a PC or MAC. .

I had contacted the seller and, after explaining what PGPSW stuff was, I was told that you can't put your own POIs etc on .

But if users say you can, who am I to argue .

I am used to putting PGPSW poi's on my Tomtom (Mainly Autogas stations and caravan sites) .. so I have no problem doing it ..

Can you also put other voices? I have a friendly Brummie voice (well, somebody trying to do Brummie) which I like to use (Takes me back to when I was a kid)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing the Nozatec device is running iGO software, then you can put PGPSW cams on it.
It does not, as standard have voice alerts for cameras though, just sounds.
GJH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first looked at the Nozatec I contacted the seller about adding user POIs and was told it wasn't possible so didn't buy at the time. Subsequently there was a great deal of discussion on a motorhome forum, including posts by people who had bought the unit and successfully added POIs.

The POIs have to be in KML format and icons with exactly the same name in bitmap format, and they have to be placed in the correct folders, but it's pretty straightforward.

I think the answer from the seller is a result of them just being sellers rather than users of the device.

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: