Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic & auto-closing gprs connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic & auto-closing gprs connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Traffic & auto-closing gprs connection Reply with quote

I'm running TTN3.04 traffic with bluetooth gps and moto v600 mobile on orange. All fine and dandy thus far.

I dont have my TTN3 settings config'd to auto update traffic data periodically, as i'm still playing and testing, and haven't been on any major journeys yet. however, it's frustrating that after TTN3 updating traffic incidents, it doesn't "close" the gprs connection automatically. i can understand this id i'd set it to "auto update periodically", but not on manual.
is this a known issue?
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that TT3 doesn't close the GPRS connection as it cannot be sure that no other program is using it. You can, for example, surf the Net with Internet Explorer using GPRS, start TT3, have it use the existing connection, then go back to surfing.

As GPRS connections are charged on the basis of data sent and received they are ideal candidates to be left up. On my Nokia 6310i the phone will drop and re-establish the GPRS connection to allow voice calls inbound and outbound, so it works quite nicely with TT3. I have it set for manual update, which I do every 20 minutes or so, or when I'm about to start on a significant part of a journey (like joining the M6).

Neil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few if any applications that use a GPRS connection will close it after use as it costs nothing to leave the connection running, you pay only when data is transferred across it.

If you're happeir closing the connection on most handsets you simply hold down the 'end call' button for a few seconds to terminate an active GPRS connection.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: