Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help / advice on the hurry
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help / advice on the hurry

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 228
Location: Surrey - UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Help / advice on the hurry Reply with quote

Guys
Apologies for what you may consider as laziness. Going on hols and taking my old 920 but daughter now needs satnav before we go ( v soon )

Due to time constraints Halfords will probs be my source thereby negating postal issues etc

Need
Uk maps
Lane guidance
Spoken roads
Postcode navigating etc

Optional
Europe map
Bluetooth

Looking at 135 via but start seems an alternative

Essential = PGPS world camera update compliant ( I read
somewhere that some of these TTs cannot use / download the database that I am used to.

Should add that live services are not needed.
Large screen would be good though but not essential.
Halfords also offering the 135 limited addition at 30 more but what is e difference to ordinary 135?

Advice please. May even let her keep the 920 which she borrows regularly and take the addition abroad in which case Euro maps essential.

Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Mar 15, 2006
Posts: 3219
Location: Windlesham, Surrey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a guy, but I'll answer anyway! Very Happy

I have an ageing 720 and wanted to buy a replacement while there are still models available that will take the PGPSW cameras. I opted for the Via135M with lifetime 'free' maps rather than the Start because I wanted bluetooth for hands-free calling. I've been very impressed, in fact I now use it instead of the still working 720.

I bought a Start 25M for my sister as she doesn't use her mobile phone, and as far as I can see, the only difference between the Via and the Start is the bluetooth. I'm sure someone will correct me if there are others. Wink

The only thing I can see that might make the Halfords offerings "Special Editions" is the "Free High Speed Multicharger worth 19.99 included".

I would recommend either the Start or the Via as a suitable replacement for your 920, depending on whether you want bluetooth, and I feel it's worth getting one with lifetime maps (look for the M in the name).
_________________
Anita
TomTom VIA 135 - App 12.075,
UK map 1090.11467
Samsung Galaxy S8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 228
Location: Surrey - UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I'm not a guy, but I'll answer anyway! Very Happy

I have an ageing 720 and wanted to buy a replacement while there are still models available that will take the PGPSW cameras. I opted for the Via135M with lifetime 'free' maps rather than the Start because I wanted bluetooth for hands-free calling. I've been very impressed, in fact I now use it instead of the still working 720.

I bought a Start 25M for my sister as she doesn't use her mobile phone, and as far as I can see, the only difference between the Via and the Start is the bluetooth. I'm sure someone will correct me if there are others. Wink

The only thing I can see that might make the Halfords offerings "Special Editions" is the "Free High Speed Multicharger worth 19.99 included".

I would recommend either the Start or the Via as a suitable replacement for your 920, depending on whether you want bluetooth, and I feel it's worth getting one with lifetime maps (look for the M in the name).


Thanks 'buddy' Wink
So the only real difference would appear to be the bluetooth facility which she and I do not need due to our cars having that anyway.
I also appreciate that lifetime does not actually mean 'forever' but that is a whole new conversation.
Your response is appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Mar 15, 2006
Posts: 3219
Location: Windlesham, Surrey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have added that neither the Start nor the Via has the itinerary facility that your 920 has. You can only enter four (I think) way points.

And they don't appear as a drive on your computer so you can't access the file system for backing up the device or editing the files.
_________________
Anita
TomTom VIA 135 - App 12.075,
UK map 1090.11467
Samsung Galaxy S8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 228
Location: Surrey - UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Sorry, I should have added that neither the Start nor the Via has the itinerary facility that your 920 has. You can only enter four (I think) way points.

And they don't appear as a drive on your computer so you can't access the file system for backing up the device or editing the files.


Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean you cannot plan a series of journeys with more than four locations? If so, not an issue.

Do you also refer to the fact that the start and via use the Mytomtom system ( online)as opposed to Tomtom home?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Mar 15, 2006
Posts: 3219
Location: Windlesham, Surrey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Do you mean you cannot plan a series of journeys with more than four locations? If so, not an issue.

On your 920 you can enter any number of points you want to pass through on your journey, either on the device by going to "Itinerary" in the menus, or by using a program called Tyre to plot the route on your computer and then download it to your 920.

On the Start or Via you can only add up to four(?) points using "Travel via" after entering your destination on the device. I haven't found this to be a problem but some people might.

Quote:
Do you also refer to the fact that the start and via use the Mytomtom system ( online)as opposed to Tomtom home?

Yes, that's right, they use MyTomTom. I'm used to backing up my 720 to the computer before making any changes like dpwnloading new maps, so I can restore it to its previous working condition should there be a problem.
_________________
Anita
TomTom VIA 135 - App 12.075,
UK map 1090.11467
Samsung Galaxy S8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazza70
Regular Visitor


Joined: Feb 28, 2006
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos eBay shop are doing the uk & roi
tomtom go 820 live for 109.99 order now for delivery on Tuesday or amazon are doing it for 93.49 but it doesn't say when delivery will be .
both include latest map and 12months live services for the price .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 228
Location: Surrey - UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazza70 wrote:
Argos eBay shop are doing the uk & roi
tomtom go 820 live for 109.99 order now for delivery on Tuesday or amazon are doing it for 93.49 but it doesn't say when delivery will be .
both include latest map and 12months live services for the price .


Appreciated but want euro maps, life time maps and I have always found TT live services to be cr*p anyway.

Just ordered via 135m full euro and 'lifetime' maps etc. Good price too Thumbs Up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TM
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Posts: 30
Location: Stonehouse, Glos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm also looking to replace my aging (10 year old) Classic GO with a rapidly dimming screen and an essential requirement is to be able to use 3rd party POI's (including the PGPS World speed cameras).

If the Vis 135M does not show up on your PC as a drive how can you add 3rd party poi's? Just curious to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing.

Tony
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 228
Location: Surrey - UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM wrote:
Hi

I'm also looking to replace my aging (10 year old) Classic GO with a rapidly dimming screen and an essential requirement is to be able to use 3rd party POI's (including the PGPS World speed cameras).

If the Vis 135M does not show up on your PC as a drive how can you add 3rd party poi's? Just curious to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing.

Tony


It is very easy and done by saving the pgpsw files to you computer then uploading them through My tomtom. Have a look at the database download instructions they are easy to follow. Just select your model and follow the guide. I am sure someone with more knowledge will post a direct link for you. The pain is reassigning a spoken alert to each file if, like me, that is how you like your set up.

Edit
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-nav3-zip.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TM
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Posts: 30
Location: Stonehouse, Glos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
TM wrote:
Hi

I'm also looking to replace my aging (10 year old) Classic GO with a rapidly dimming screen and an essential requirement is to be able to use 3rd party POI's (including the PGPS World speed cameras).

If the Vis 135M does not show up on your PC as a drive how can you add 3rd party poi's? Just curious to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing.

Tony


It is very easy and done by saving the pgpsw files to you computer then uploading them through My tomtom. Have a look at the database download instructions they are easy to follow. Just select your model and follow the guide. I am sure someone with more knowledge will post a direct link for you. The pain is reassigning a spoken alert to each file if, like me, that is how you like your set up.

Edit
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-nav3-zip.php


Brilliant - thanks very much I can order with confidence that I can still use my poi files (the High Quality Pubs one is fantastic Very Happy )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
20-071 (06 Jul 22)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping