Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Location not found
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Location not found
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Location not found Reply with quote

Me again, folks,

I tried out the PGPSW on my Moto G today and failed to get a location.

I have used the GPS with Google maps and it finds the location within seconds using GPS and the mobile network.

I seem to recall reading that we are able to download Camera Alert for Android and use it to try the system before subscribing but when I hit the road the system showed no GPS symbol and would not get my location.

I had thought that during the trial the system would work but that I would not get any updates or be able to input my own trap points until I subscribed.

My first thought was that my new phone was faulty but when I again checked Google maps it found my location right away and the GPS symbol showed on screen.

Am I now correct in thinking that the system will not work until I pay the subs? If that is the case, how do I pay without using my phone and how is my payment linked to my phone?

Cheers.

T.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a square GPS icon in the bottom left corner, if it's white tap it & it should turn green indicating that CA is now connected to GPS
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered about the purpose of that bottom left hand button. Why would you want to run CA without it knowing where you were? and if you really, really did, just turn GPS off.
The number of times I've been driving along with CA in (supposedly) the background only to pass a speed camera i'm aware of and to not hear an alert and learn that "Not Tracking" is being displayed when I bring CA to the foreground.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14, The free trial of CamerAlert is fully functioning. There is no difference between the Un'subscribed version and the subscribed version. The only restriction being that if you are not a subscriber you shall not be able to update the weekly camera locations after your first, free download.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I've often wondered about the purpose of that bottom left hand button. Why would you want to run CA without it knowing where you were? and if you really, really did, just turn GPS off.
The number of times I've been driving along with CA in (supposedly) the background only to pass a speed camera i'm aware of and to not hear an alert and learn that "Not Tracking" is being displayed when I bring CA to the foreground.

It's stumped me more than once when I've found that CA isn't working, the GPS button always seems to be the last thing I think of too, but maybe next time I'll think of it first Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other options are to try using the 'use alternate GPS starter' in the advanced settings.

The reason for the tracking button in the app itself is so you can easily turn it off to manually scan around the map etc without it jumping back to where you are. This is easier than trying to explain how to turn off the GPS on the phone itself.

MaFt
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all.

Will give that a try next time I am out.

BTW, even as a local, I was amazed to see the number of mobile trap points in Flintshire shown on PGPSW ( though as I said, I know of three not shown)

No wonder drivers now feel like sheep surrounded by wolves.

T
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14 wrote:
No wonder drivers now feel like sheep surrounded by wolves

They don't just have wolves in Wales, they have horse boxes and builder's vans to hide speed cameras in.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I notice the maps take a couple of minutes or more to show on screen from start up whilst Google maps are virtually instant. The camera sites show first then the maps come up much later.

It's not a problem; just wondering if that is normal.

BTW, I have now paid my £20.

Cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14 wrote:
Folks,

I notice the maps take a couple of minutes or more to show on screen from start up whilst Google maps are virtually instant. The camera sites show first then the maps come up much later.

Yes, it's normal. Google Maps app uses a different system, it's all vector images so loads up much faster. However, apps that use maps (with flaps on their caps [sorry...]) could only use the older style 'tiles' - images of maps that need downloading for each zoom level, so they take a bit longer. Recently Google updated their developer stuff so we can also use the newer vector maps (on more powerful phones that can handle the graphics rendering). We're yet to fully integrate this as on our test devices it's still quite buggy, but it does result in faster load times for the map.

Quote:

Welcome to the fold :D

MaFt
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Tafia14 wrote:
Folks,

Yes, it's normal. Google Maps app uses a different system, it's all vector images so loads up much faster. However, apps that use maps (with flaps on their caps [sorry...]) could only use the older style 'tiles' - images of maps that need downloading for each zoom level, so they take a bit longer. Recently Google updated their developer stuff so we can also use the newer vector maps (on more powerful phones that can handle the graphics rendering). We're yet to fully integrate this as on our test devices it's still quite buggy, but it does result in faster load times for the map.

Quote:

Welcome to the fold :D

MaFt

Many thanks for your help MaFt.

Off to mark my first site today even if the van is not there. I am guessing the upload to PGPSW will be automatic.

Best wishes to all.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14 wrote:
Off to mark my first site today even if the van is not there. I am guessing the upload to PGPSW will be automatic ......

Only if you have that option selected (Settings - Allow Transmission) and you have a 3g/data connection at the time.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Tafia14 wrote:
Off to mark my first site today even if the van is not there. I am guessing the upload to PGPSW will be automatic ......

Only if you have that option selected (Settings - Allow Transmission) and you have a 3g/data connection at the time.

Oooer,

Not sure about the 3G. Can be patchy up here. Will the location be kinda 'stored' until I reach a 3G area?

Skuse the daft questionsT
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14 wrote:
Will the location be kinda 'stored' until I reach a 3G area?

Yes

MaFt
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks,

My first two mobile trap sites seem to have made it to the database.

There was an issue which I will post under the separate heading of: "All clear given too soon"

There is one more site in the area which does not show on the database but I haven't driven that road yet.

Thanks to all for your valuable assistance. Much appreciated.

T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: