Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem installing voice alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem installing voice alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Problem installing voice alerts Reply with quote

I have a Garmin 2460LT which I have just updated the software to v3.6 and also installed the latest map (lifetime map updates). I now find that I cannot get the voice alerts to work. When I download the latest camera database (no prefix female voice pack) I get the error message saying "Audio files not installed - unable to to convert to correct format"

I have v2.6 of the poi loader (I understand that later versions do not work though that is not mentioned on the installation video). I also have the sox.exe in the poi loader folder.
I have tried several times, each time uninstalling the database and then reinstalling it. I have tried the mp3 files as well but they do not work either.
Any help much appreciated.

On another topic despite regular updates (map and software) and master re-sets I find my Garmin takes ages to plan route if the car is moving. I always have to be parked whilst it works out the route. This was not the case with my old TomTom 500 unit. I was told by Garmin that this is because TomTom works out the route backwards from the destination whereas Garmin works it out from the point of departure.

I also find it often takes me all around the houses to get to the main road on the initial start of a journey but when I expand the map I could just turn left instead of the indicated right and be on the main road (in the same place) in 1/4 mile instead of the 2 miles I would have travelled if following the Sat Nav directed.

Anyone else experience these problems with this model?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with your main point, but both my 1490 and 2508 have no issues creating a route on the move. If they did they'd struggle every time I stray off route, and they don't. All satnavs though will struggle to find your initial location if you're moving while trying to do so ...

Just a point that may help. You really should do a master reset after any software update if your satnav/GPS isn't working as expected. so I'd try that and see if it helps.
Pev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done just that, a Master re-set so will see how it performs now but try as I might with both the latest poi loader and also again with v2.6 I still cannot get it to load up wav files. I just keep getting the same error messages - unable to convert to the correct format so the audio files were not installed.
Pev
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tomtom is much better at route planning and my old tomtom go is far faster than my new garmin 3598.

Also tomtom remembers which direction you were facing when turned off & uses this information to start you in the right direction on the next journey. Garmin just says 'drive to start point' with no help with what direction to go!

I can only think the big cheese at garmin gets chauffeured everywhere thus has no experience of using them & the softies don't try their products in real world situations.

There are so many flaws in the 3598, which is a great shame, it is a good looking unit with a great display. We need a new company to come along & combine the best from tomtom & garmin into a new unit. It would be a winner.
Pev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I went for Garmin on the basis that they are a big name in GPS. I had one of their old units for walking which was very good.

I was expecting to have been very pleased with this GPS unit but I can't really say that I am.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: