Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 3590 and PGPSW speed camera problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 3590 and PGPSW speed camera problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooperpeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3590 and PGPSW speed camera problems Reply with quote

I've been a subscriber to PGPSW for a few years, until fairly recently using a Garmin nuvi 600, with no problems. It would give me an adequate warning of a camera coming up by displaying the appropriate icon on the map, plus a "bong". I can't remember it ever failing to give me both warnings.

Unfortunately, the Garmin 600 "died", and I replaced it with a nuvi 3590. I am pleased with the satnav itself, but I'm now getting problems using the PGPSW speed camera database.

The first problem was that the camera icons on the 3590 are tiny. However, via this website, I discovered the Faststone Photo resizer, enlarged the icons to 44x44, and they are now fine.

I'm still stuck with two other problems though. Firstly, not all cameras are being shown. I might get a bong, but no icon is displayed. For example, on the M1 stretch going up towards Chesterfield, where there are cameras on some of the overhead gantries, I get no icons displayed at all. I've noticed the same for spec cameras as well, even though they've been correctly loaded onto the 3590.
I'm also getting a load of "ghost" camera images displayed, which I'm not convinced relate to actual cameras, where the camera image is very faint.
Note that whenever I load a new camera database, I always delete all of the Custom POI's first, before reloading the POI's with the new camera database.

All I want is to get back to the way that things worked with the nuvi 600, with a visual and audible warning for each camera. Can anyone please help?
cooperpeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re - Garmin 3590 and PGPSW speed camera problems Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately nobody has come up with any ideas to resolve my problems, so as my subscription expires in a few days time, and I'm feeling a little vulnerable not getting proper warnings, I've decided to switch to Garmin's own speed camera database.

On my old nuvi 600, everything was great, but with the 3590, the camera warnings are just too haphazard. Whether the Garmin database works any better I'll just have to wait and see, but it can't really be any worse!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working fine on my 1490, maybe there's an issue with the 35xx series? Are you running the latest firmware as there were some issues with POI and gpi files http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5673
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also wondering whether these new units need the latest POILoader?

You could also try one of the 2 programs here that create GPX files instead of the standard CSV ones as a test.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cooperpeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussamb, thanks for your note - I hadn't realised that there was a later version. I've now updated my Garmin, and will keep my fingers crossed that this might improve things ( - I've still got a few days to test things out, and to decide what I'm going to do).
cooperpeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the firmware and if anything the situation is now worse! The camera icons now flash on and off - most weird!

I'm using the latest POI loader so I don't think that's the problem.

Anyway, I'm not going to spend any more time on this issue now. I'm going to give the Garmin database a trial for a year, and if I don't like it I'll come back to PGPSW in a year's time.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from a cheap tomtom go, to the 3598. What a pain the POIs are!
My map show knives & forks, £ signs and petrol pumps. Why? !!!
No way to turn these off, but supposing I want to just display fishing lakes or airports? The cheap 10 year old tomtom was 100% better for POIs

Anyway...

... have got the PGPS speed cameras working fine, with a little help reading through this forum.

First you need a file added to your poi loader program, sox.exe
Next download & install CSV converter. Both of which are available via this forum.

Use CSV converter to download & unzip the PGPSW database, (first download ensure you include the icons & voice files)
Use CSV converter to un zip it & create the garmin compatible file. It cleverly sorts out duplicates and adds the speed warnings
Use Garmin's POI loader to stick it on your sat-nav.

There are some additional tweaks needed, to get the over-speed warning, you need to find a suitable sound file and add it to the CSV converter. This voice file is not contained in the standard PGPSW set. (note to CSV converter man, could you include it with the CSV converter download?)

I also doubled the size of the PGPSW icons to 44x44.

All works fine on the 3598, no problems, other than the over-speed warnings, which seem to announce even when I am under speed.

What a pain! With tomtom, just download the file & stick it on the sat-nav & a one time set up speed warnings on the device itself.

Anyway added the above here in case anybody is reading through & wondering if the PGPS cameras work with this sat-nav range.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change what's shown ... or not show that layer at all. See pages 6, 7 and 13 of the manual. If you haven't got the full manual download it from here:

http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01118-00
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the layers only give options like 3D or Places, POIs cannot be turned off or on in these menus, page 6,7,13.

The POI display option only gives the option to display Garmin speed cams
or display ALL custom POis.

Mr Garmin thinks we need knives & forks, £ signs & pumps displayed on our map, which are neither speed cams or custom POIs, with no option or way (that I can find) to turn them off.

Chippy & kebab shops are shown as well as proper restaurants. Without being able to select a sub-category like 'Italian' for example, they are pretty useless. Driving along a high street, the display is so full of £ signs, it is distracting.

On my tomtom, I had loads ok POIs, diy stores, supermarkets etc. Some were very useful to have displayed as an aid to finding them, the ones I did not need displaying but were useful to have were easily switched off.

Will be great when Mr Garmin catches up with the options I have on my first generation Tomtom300.

apologies for taking this thread off topic, spoze' it should ideally be in the POI section.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours works like my 2508 you can change what's in the 'up ahead' list. This changes what is shown on the map. I have mine set to fuel stations, rest stops and ATMs. You can set it to any POI or category you want.

Earlier Garmins like my 1490 showed every POI ... But folks then complained there was too much clutter :-)
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3590, which is comparatively new, only gives a choice of "Garmin Safety Camera" or "Custom POI" alerts.

I also dislike that the fact that most of the icons available when marking a POI are illogical/redundant, e.g, 2 petrol pumps, one with a £ sign, the other with € sign and various non-specific building shapes. I would like symbols that I could actually use.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're referring to is different to the 'up ahead' feature. Its that that can be changed as I posted above.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the 3598,

from map, press the right hand lower button, three horizontal stripes, gives me a 'up ahead' option.
Pressing this shows a box along the right hand edge, with pictures of a petrol pump, a man & woman & a knife & fork.
Pressing any of these, the screen says 'no matches found'
If I press the spanner, I have the option to change the order of these.
touching any one of these three takes me to another menu 'select option to display' in here is a list, including lodging and parking. Pressing one of these will replace one of the three displayed items with the new one.
It seems one has to select three items to be displayed, one cannot select none or two, but Mr Garmin has decided we must see three things and three things only and only the small list of things Mr Garmin has decided we are allowed. and of course ALL custom POIs.

I would like all of my custom POIs on the device, but most not displayed (supermarkets, trade counters, DIY stores etc). The map to display train stations, PGPSW parking & Cameras and my custom POI work sites ONLY. Easy on my old Tomtom, impossible on this shiny new top of the range Garmonkey.

I will admit to liking the Garmin in some ways, but it is well sh1t compared to Tomtom, which is far more intuitive, seems to give better and faster routing (yes my 8 year old basic Tomtom One is faster) also Tomtom is easier to use on the road to with far less button pushes to change route or avoid roadblocks (or fallen trees today). With my 3598 I have to pull over & muck about with the unit to get it to avoid the roadblock in front of me.

I just wish the software boys at Garmonkey would play with Tomtom and see how much better it is, or was till tomtom crippled their new range.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: