Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do i get coordinates of this petrol station?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i get coordinates of this petrol station?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Location Based Services (LBS)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: How do i get coordinates of this petrol station? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get accurate coordinates of Shell filling stations, and for most of them I've been using this google maps longitude latitude pop-up: http://www.gorissen.info/Pierre/maps/googleMapLocation.php

I have been zooming in on the canopy of each filling station and taking the coordinates from the centre of the canopy. However there are some rural ones where i can only find the filling station accurately on the google street view and there doesnt seem to be a way of getting coordinate on that. Or is there?

Here's an example: Lonenwell Service Station. The coordinate on the Shell POI file give you a point a few hundred yards along the road from the actual service station, I found it on the street view but not sure how to get the coordinates to update it.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to guestimate this one as it's at a T-junction, but if it wasnt is there a way to get the coordinates other than driving up to it with your gps device?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the location of the road entrance for the location rather than the center point of the canopy as this might not be location the device can navigate to - Mike
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I prefer to have the symbols appear in the correct place though, I hate when symbols appear on the road. Surely the device would just navigate to the piece of road nearest the actual location?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely the device would just navigate to the piece of road nearest the actual location?

The problem with this is if there's another road nearby which is closer to your central point, it would navigate to that. It's far better to use the road, as Mike said.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
Surely the device would just navigate to the piece of road nearest the actual location?

The problem with this is if there's another road nearby which is closer to your central point, it would navigate to that. It's far better to use the road, as Mike said.

But you'd see it when you got close anyway and then wouldnt need to rely on the sat-nav.

It would be good if you could add an access road in for petrol stations.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is that service roads are not always included when the device plans a route, so if you create a POI file that produces non navigable routes its as good as useless as the device won't be able to use it - Stick to using the road entry/ exit points and the device will be happy to plan a route to it - Mike
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well i shall test mine out this week, I rarely plan routes to petrol stations though, I tend to just see the symbol appear on the screen when I'm driving and head for it if I need fuel. It's also nice when you're negotiating streets to see the POIs appear in the correct place, causes less confusion. And as I said previously I think there's nothing worse than a POI appearing on the road!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But you'd see it when you got close anyway and then wouldnt need to rely on the sat-nav.
There are two garages close to me which are shown as you say you would like, both take you to another road and neither can be seen from either direction on the main route. There are two more shown but have not been there for several years.

I personally wouldn't rely on my sat nav to find a petrol/diesel station for me, I always fill up when I get down to a quarter of a tank and make sure it's full before going on along journey.

It's also not a good idea to have loads of POI's showing on screen, it uses up CPU power and can slow down the display. The only ones I use are for French Peage.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do i get coordinates of this petrol station? Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
I found it on the street view but not sure how to get the coordinates to update it.
Run our submission map alongside street view. You should be able to compare it with the google map section. That is if you realy want to not be able to navigate to some of them. Confused
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT is correct I find this the best way by showing or switching between views,
In principle it is best to show the entrance especially for petrol stations but it can be awkward for some others like shops etc that are in pedestrian areas i knpw a few that is extremely difficult to place.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do i get coordinates of this petrol station? Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
Here's an example: Lonenwell Service Station. The coordinate on the Shell POI file give you a point a few hundred yards along the road from the actual service station, I found it on the street view but not sure how to get the coordinates to update it.
I can't find the Shell station, but lets take this Royal Bank branch as an exampe. If you click on the Link link, above the Streetview window, a box opens with the location. If you look in the string for the lat&lon, there seem to be 2. The cbll=55.865943,-4.280316 seems to be most accurate. You can then post this into e.g. Google Maps. If you post it onto our POI map, you'll see the location on the overhead.

Code:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=glasgow&sll=57.231758,-2.701349
&sspn=0.0095,0.027595&g=ab33+8ed&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glasgow,+Lanarkshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.865728,-4.280548
&spn=0.005298,0.013797&z=16&layer=c&cbll=55.865943,-4.280316&panoid=hRpOzYE1zM4R_bVRkJ8LVA&cbp=12,80.12,,0,-7.04

Maybe someone familiar with the API can explain the 2 locations in the string?

Edited to de-screw formatting

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Last edited by JockTamsonsBairn on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have actually got three latlons in your link. But anyway

q= Query - anything passed in this parameter is treated as if it had been typed into the query box on the maps.google.com page. In particular:

A precise address is looked up and a marker and info box is displayed at the specified point.
An exact location can be specified as latitude,longitude, in decimal form (52.123N,2.456W or 52.123,-2.456) or as degrees, minutes and seconds (52 7 22.8N,2 27 21.6W or 52 7 22.8,-2 27 21.6) or as degrees and minutes (52 7.38N,2 27.36W or 52 7.38,-2 27.36).
Any text added in parentheses () is displayed in the info window and sidebar in bold. You can use %A0 as a "no break space" to prevent line breaks happening where you don't want them.

ll= Latitude,longitude of map centre - Note the order. Only decimal format is accepted.
If this is used without a query, then the map is centred at the point but no marker or info window is displayed.

sll= Latitude,longitude of the point from which the business search should be performed. You could use this to perform an off-centre busness search. Google use it so "link to this page" can record a map that has had the centre moved after performing a business search. When requesting a route map.getBounds().getSouthWest().toUrlValue() returns the same value maps.google.com uses.

cbll= Latitude,longitude for Street View.

Make of that what you will. If that is not enough, Google for 'Google Map Parameters' and take the mapki.com /wiki link.

I build a link to a cam from Excel to open streetview on a cam. It produces a link such as
Code:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&geocode=&q=53.08716,-2.18179(Camera%2028417)&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.08716,-2.18179&cbp=11,1157.78,,0,-17.97

&geocode=&q=53.08716,-2.18179 centres the map on the cam (and the text in brackets labels the position with the cam No), &cbll centres the street view. &layer=c enables streetview. &cbp=11,1157.78,,0,-17.97. The first parameter (11) sets the 50/50 screen split. The second is the az of view (I seem to have got this wrong here) the rest are to do with cam angles etc

I have also trimmed out a lot of 'not required for my purposes' parameters. Very Happy
Well, you did ask Shocked
kolinaflomer
Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[post edited to spam link - now removed - MaFt]

Last edited by kolinaflomer on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Google Earth rather than Google Maps.

In GE your mouse pointer position is shown in the bottom bar of the map.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Location Based Services (LBS) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: