Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Night time colours not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Night time colours not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Night time colours not working Reply with quote

I have a Go 500 that I've had for some years. The 'Use night time colours' has always worked when I tapped the button. Last night I did this and just got a message telling me to link to headlights and it would not go to night colours. I've been into the brightness preference option and can't see anything there. Anybody got any idea how I can get this feature working again?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this...

In the Preferences menu, select 'Change map colours' .
That allows you to choose a daytime map colour and then an associated night time colour scheme.
Apparently not all colour schemes have both day and night colours, or it might have just been a glitch, so try swithcing to another scheme and if that works, try switching back again.

IIRC The "link to headlights" option never got used, it was intended to be used with a special car mount with extra connections, so it MIGHT be that the unit has got confused... Have you tyried a reset by pushing a small blunt pin (like an unfolded paper clip) into the tiny reset hole on the bottom of the TomTom?
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. The change map colours didn't have any effect so I reset the unit. When I try the night time colour now it turns to these colours for a fraction of a second and then switches back to daytime!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it with the X00 units an option to switch to night colours automatically (when it gets dark)? Have you by any chance selected or de-selected that option? I seem to vaguely remember if you selected or de-selected, it behaved differently (e.g. would or wouldn't do it automatically).

Have you by any chance altered the brightness of the nighttime colour scheme - mine used to have the option to slide the brightness right down to 5%, but if you've got it set at 100% it won't show any difference.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any option to switch automatically to night colours Dennis. There are the two sliders for day and night brightness and the day I have at 100% and the night at 20%. I can't see any other control options for it - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm lost in the sands of time now - the X00s came out 8 years ago, so memory fails me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. Thanks all for your efforts.
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that model had a light sensor to trigger color scheme changes. Check that the sensor is not obstructed, but otherwise there may have been a hardware failure. I guess that unit dates back to around 2005 in the first update after the original GO Classic.
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check that tgold. Thank you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always worth trying reinstalling the software.

1. First, make a full backup with Windows Explorer, not TT Home. See another topic in the forum for instructions or ask if you need to.

2. With Windows Explorer, check the root directory (i.e. outside of any folders) of the TomTom.
If you have very old maps (v660 or earlier) there will be one or more files with a name based on the map name and a .MAC or .MDS extension. This is your activation code for the map. It is especially important that this file or files are backed up.

3. Now, with the unit still connected to the computer, run the HOME support program.
i. Go to "Manage my device" on screen 2 (tap "More" to get there). Wait for the contents to load(it may take some time!) and then on the "Items on device" tab, find "Applications". Tick the box to select it and then tap on "Remove items from device" at the bottom.
ii. Go to the "Remove items from Computer" tab. Again, wait for it to load and then find "Applications". Click on the "+" sign to open up the list and tick the lines that mention actual application versions and then tap on "Remove items from computer" at the bottom.

4. CLOSE Home completely and then re-start it from the Start menu. Home SHOULD immediately offer a new version of the application software, or if not, it should do so when you go to "Update my Device" on screen #1. Install the application offered.

5. Click on 'Device - Disconnect Device' in the top menu (or use the "Eject" button in the bottom right corner of the screen), wait for it to re-boot and ask if you want to connect to the computer, select "No" and when you see the normal navigation screen, turn off and disconnect.
Check the device is now working OK.

6. Finally connect to Home again and see if anything else is offered in "update my Device"
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try this in the morning Andy. Thank you for such a detailed reply.
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has cured the problem Andy. Thank you for your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for letting us know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: