Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Removing gmapsupp.img from nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing gmapsupp.img from nuvi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Removing gmapsupp.img from nuvi Reply with quote

Can anyone help, please? I am trying to remove two gmapsupp.img files I added to my 2460. One was added to the nuvi within a Map folder and one was added to a micro SD card in a Garmin folder. Both maps appeared in the map list. I have now renamed both to prevent the nuvi recognising them, and eventually removed the SD card. The problem is that the image on the SD card is still present in the map list. It appears that the nuvi has copied it to its own storage, but I can't find it in the .system folder or anywhere else. None of the .img files I have found appear to be what I am looking for. Does anyone know where else it could be, and how do I remove it; will a simple delete safely suffice?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've removed the map files then I'm surprised they're still listed. Have you done a search of the nuvis drive for any img files?

Otherwise if they are gone and still showing you may need to do a hard reset.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have done a search of the nuvi drive. I found nothing that appeared to be the image I wanted. I am still awaiting a response from Garmin help - are you ably to definitively say that nuvis (or at least the 2460) do not copy image files from SD cards? As you say I may end up having to do a hard reset.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now upload the latest map, 2014.20, and done a hard reset, but the problem map still shows in the map list.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that even though I renamed the problem image files, so that they were no longer named gmapsupp the nuvi still recognised them and listed them. I was under the impression that the map images had to be called gmapsupp, otherwise they would be ignored by the nuvi. I have deleted the two files and they are no longer shown in the map list (as one would expect). Unfortunately that did not bring back the voice commands for finding an address, a town or a junction, which was my original intention. .
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later nuvis will accept other names for map files, as you've found out Smile
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update (of sorts). Today I borrowed my daughters 2460, which has 2014.10 maps. Her unit performs all the voice commands as expected. The difference between hers and mine, as far as I know, is that I added two extra map images to mine. At the time I noticed that the other maps, if enabled, prevented the display of speed limits - another story. Using her unit I identified all the .img files and found one on mine, but not on hers, viz. D1074000M. I deleted this file, but still haven't recovered my missing three voice command functions. It seems that the introduction of other images files, even temporarily, upsets the nuvi quite a lot. Perhaps consider this a warning tale.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: