Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Maps Undergoes Colourful Transformation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Maps Undergoes Colourful Transformation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Google Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds47uk wrote:
What more could you want...?

StreetView?
Samsung Galaxy S21
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a thought in favour of the OSM; it's free, and ALLOWS offline storage, even. So, rather than depend on a rather poor 3 or 4G signal in the middle of nowhere, CamerAlert could cache an entire country - or more, space providing - thus allowing truly passive - and battery-saving, come to that - action.

I dare say that there'll be nay-sayers out there still, but before you condemn it, have a look. http://www.openstreetmap.org/
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Google maps Reply with quote

It it's actual "BUG" report it.
If its something you just don't like, you might mention it, but get used to it or move on.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fith wrote:
Time to start using Bing Maps more in the UK as they use Ordnance Survey maps. Proper Colours....

Bing use Navteq/Nokia maps not OS.

The issue we have is that the submission and admin maps are pretty complex in terms of the back-end coding to get them all to work. The last thing I want to do is learn a whole new API to try and transfer our system to a new one...!! I am tempted, however, to set the default map type to OSM - or maybe make it a use-option like we do for the default country :D

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
..... I am tempted, however, to set the default map type to OSM.......
MaFt

Thumbs Up from me.
So long as it doesn't lead to Google buying out OSM.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
So long as it doesn't lead to Google buying out OSM.

I highly doubt that OSM would sell.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
here's a thought in favour of the OSM; it's free, and ALLOWS offline storage, even. So, rather than depend on a rather poor 3 or 4G signal in the middle of nowhere, CamerAlert could cache an entire country - or more, space providing - thus allowing truly passive - and battery-saving, come to that - action.

I dare say that there'll be nay-sayers out there still, but before you condemn it, have a look. http://www.openstreetmap.org/

OSM tiles are an option in the current development version of CamerAlert for Android. Hopefully it will also be an option in CamerAlert 2 - not sure yet.

As for caching the tiles, this would be an entirely different beast as we rely on the Android (i.e. Google) map stuff for CamerAlert. If we only used OSM then we could use their API for the whole lot BUT then we'd be limited to just using OSM mapping and, to be honest, while it is excellent in some areas, it is still sorely lacking in others. Personally I don't think it'd be a great experience for users. Especially when, for the most part, the app in used in the background anyway...!

MaFt
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Crap map Reply with quote

This change in colour totally confused me 3 weeks ago when I first realised it and I was amazed actually they made the same error as Apple a few months ago!

Your Bradford images of before and after illustrate the point perfectly.

Main roads can easily be "white" the same as a side street.

I have pressed the "report an error" button on Google maps and told them motorways are blue, etc etc. (in Britain anyway).

I now get (say brown/orange) a traffic icon for a medium delay on top of a semi orange road. Needless to say the traffic icon is very hard to notice on a road of the same colour.

Well done Google. Twisted Evil

Potentially one less customer if I can swap to another map firm. Along with App providers.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Google maps Reply with quote

taits wrote:
If its something you just don't like, you might mention it, but get used to it or move on.

That's part of the problem. When we move on are we on a main A or B road that Google have as no colour. Like with the minor and side roads.

It's hard to move and follow directons Arrow when you don't know if turning right onto a non coloured road is the main road or a side residential street.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Google Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: