Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First Hello, Please advise which sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First Hello, Please advise which sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickpbush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: First Hello, Please advise which sat nav Reply with quote

Firstly, hello, I'm Rick and I'm new here. Not going to lie, I'm really only here to get some advice on which Sat Nav I'm after.

I have a specific set of requirements. Really the manufacture/retailers should be able to tell me which unit to select but after several visits and calls I find no one can help Sad

So, I'm looking to buy a Garmin because I'm familiar with them. It has to be able to use bluetooth to function as a hands free, it should have lifetime traffic and maps and have a capacitive touch screen (not a plastic film resistive one).

I decided I'd ask the enthusiasts rather than try more retailers who don't seem to know the products they sell.

Thanks in advance, Rick.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rickgbush, until some Garmin owners pop along to offer some advice, the site below may be of some use to help you form a short list

[url] http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/satnavselector.htm[/url]

PS. I'm copying and pasting on my phone's internet at the moment and it looks like the above refers you to TomTom. If it does, sorry. Just explore the various tabs to find some information.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

The best Garmin model at the moment is the 3597/3598 LMT model as this has all the functions you want. It is a 5" inch capacitive screen - many Garmins have the "plastic film".

The LMT has Lifetime Maps and Traffic - but the majority of newer Garmin units now come with the lifetime which until a year or so ago they didn't.

The 3597 has standard traffic via a traffic receiver in the power cable which goes into the car cigarette socket. The 3598 comes with a Digital traffic receiver and is only available from Halfords (exclusive to them for 6 months or so I believe). The 3598 is £299 and the 3597 around £269/£279 but I would advise you pay the extra £20 or so for the digital traffic as it is a) much more accurate, b) has much better reception and c) much better coverage. Garmin's traffic has always suffered from the latter two issues - even on roads such as the M25!!!!

If you are happy with a model from 2012, you could go for the 3490 LMT / LT model. The LMT is very hard to get hold of, the LT is available but doesn't have the lifetime maps you want. It is a lot cheaper though. It is also a 4" inch screen. I had one and was very pleased with it - it is very mature in the sense that Garmin have ironed out the bugs through firmware updates - although they seem to have got the 3597/3598 to be very stable from the off which is a bit of a first for them! The user interface isn't as slick as the 3597/98 but then you do get features such as customisable dashboards and a pedestrian function which Garmin removed from the 2013 models. Then again, the 3597/98 has real directions (turn left at the roundabout, traffic light, McDonalds, rather than turn left in 200 yards) and active lane guidance - moving display to put you in the correct lane at a junction. The latter is more of a gimmick in the UK but very welcome when using in the USA.

It really comes down to your budget, £300 or so I'd go for the 3598 from Halfords. Circa £200 I'd go for the 3490LT (no lifetime maps) or pay £230 to get a 3490LMT (if you can - Amazon seem to get a few in from time to time but it is a "discontinued" model so watch out for refurbs.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not indicate whether you are going to be using the SatNav only in Europe or in North America as well. If expect to use the device in North America search out models that have NA and European maps included. From what I have seen dual continent devices do not have Lifetime Maps included so be prepared to have to buy the Lifetime Maps package.

To see if the model has both continents look for the number "7" as the second to last digit in the model name.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: