Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Further To Further To the Nuvi 2548
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Further To Further To the Nuvi 2548

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Further To Further To the Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
Still finding things out re Garmin versus TT.
Re maps...the 2548 has the Western Europe map set installed.
These past few days I have found two very minor roads not shown on the screen even though the 'image' was enlarged fully, also found one road missing but the name of the road was where the road should have been shown. Granted these would have been classed as D roads one click up from hard tracks, but even so if OS have them on why not Garmin?

Question 1..Do the UK only maps have more detail installed than the European ones?? If so I'll get them installed.
Q2. Do Garmin have a 'tell us where we are wrong' arrangement? As I have had a quick look but can not find anything.

One major thing that I find different from the old TT Navigator series is the detail of a journey set up. On route I could see my speed, how far I still have to go and a very accurate TOA. The 2548 only seems to give how long I've been moving along with bumf of Journey log plus the speed of course along the bottom left hand side. Slightly disappointed in this aspect but the speed of the GPS acquisition is far far greater.
Wondering now if I should have put my hand a little deeper into my pocket and gone for one of the 35xx series.

Would appreciate any comments re the mapping situation.
Best regards
revlew
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK maps are simply a subset of the full EU ones, so you won't get more detail. I think you'll find there are lots of things on OS mapping that aren't on a nuvi Wink

You can report map errors if you wish to http://www.navteq.com/ who supply the maps to Garmin, or directly via their free software Basecamp.

I don't have your model but most nuvis can display various data fields, have a look through the manual.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Tap the speed "box" on the bottom left and it will display a trip computer with all the things you want. Tap the "info" box in the bottom rights d you can"user define"the info for a selection including ETA,time to run, distance, direction and others. It would seem that you have accidentally changed this as ETA is the default setting.

The 3598 has a better screen, a powered mount, quicker processing as it has a more complex routing algorithm and a few other bells and whistles which would make little difference as a general navigation tool
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Further to further to Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

To Sussamb and Bavc10 many thanks for your reply. Pity about the detail of minor roads as I'm involved in Emergency Comms as a hobby and often have to rely upon such minor detail...so it's get to the area and then get OS map out again.
I have not had a chance to look and digest yet the downloaded manual for the nuvi range but obviously need to do so , however....
Been away this weekend across country to Manchester and Burnley area so although I know the area and routes, the 2548 has effectively been used in anger for the whole weekend.
If I were asked to give an appraisal of the 2548 I would say 4.8:5 with the only aspects that I would wish for, would be to have greater detail of very minor roads and tracks (the old TT Navigator had them) and the " what mileage have I to go on a journey"; but if Bavc10 is correct then its only the mapping detail I would wish for and I would give 4.9:5.
The speed camera alerts are brilliant along with the Traffic detail of which were both found to be rather accurate. The GPS and speed of readiness are simply brilliant, faster than I am in being ready for driving away.
Would I recommend the Garmin Nuvi range... a very strong YES.
Regards to all
Revlew
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review

Hi - The other way is to call up the trip computer which displays a whole host of journey facts - a speedometer, direction, travel time, moving time, stopped time, time to next turn, average speed, fastest speed, distance to next turn by trip and in total etc.... You can reset this at any time.

Can't help with the "back roads" - most Sat Nav manufacturers are removing such roads due to well publicised issues which vehicles getting stuck in narrow lanes, ratruns in rural areas etc... so even Tom Tom would be affected.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Further to further to Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

Revlew wrote:
To Sussamb and Bavc10 many thanks for your reply. Pity about the detail of minor roads as I'm involved in Emergency Comms as a hobby and often have to rely upon such minor detail...so it's get to the area and then get OS map out again.

You should look at the free OSM maps available at www.talkytoaster.co.uk

I have them on my nuvi. They're aimed at hikers and geocachers so have lots of detail that is missing off the Garmin maps, and they're routeable. Downside is they don't have postcode search, but you can always set up a favourite or input a lat/long and then navigate to that.
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Further To Further To the Nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

Hi again
Thanks for the info.
Now re TalkToaster etc, please confirm I need the Basecamp program to install into the 2548.
Please remember I'm a wrinkly and until you guys mentioned such things as Basecamp and Talktoaster, I had never heard of them; I'm a steep learning curve!!!!!

Revlew
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for Basecamp Smile

Just download the map from the talkytoaster website; I recommend the 1:50 Look and Feel mapset, you want the routeable one which is the top one in the OS 1:50 Thou section. Click on the blue link that starts with 130629, and download the zip file to your PC. Unzip it and you'll get a map file (ends in .img)

Copy that map file into your 2548. It needs to be in a folder named Map (note Map not Maps) which you will probably have to create on your nuvi.

Afer that you should be able to select it via Settings, Map and Settings, myMaps.
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: further to further to nuvi2548 Reply with quote

Hi sussamb, bavc10
Re your last help, I have done this but the 2548 does not show the 'other new' map in settings..map & vehicle.. my maps.
When I have checked the file location string or file location via base camp of the western Europe map that is installed; it shows it is in an ' internal storage .. system file'; but no way can I get to see that file via the windows 7 browser.
My guess is that your 35xx series has a different filing system and able to do as you have suggested.
I have installed a micro SD card with a folder marked as MAP with the talktoaster map in, but the 2548 simply does not recognise the SD card etc, basecamp does see it but not the content.
I have looked at every single detail via the 2548 settings, but nowhere can I find anything that needs re-setting to view either the map folder or its new map. The only map folder visible with win 7 is in “internal storage .. themes .. Map” which contains kmtf files for each area map.
Incidentally I have opened the file system to show all hidden files but I still cannot see where the installed maps are located on the 2548.
So unless you have a magic wand or know of one etc, I suspect that I will have to make do with the Garmin installed map, which just been updated to the 2014 set.
May I say a very personal thank you guys for taking the time to respond to my queries.
My best regards
Revlew.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Have you got MTP settings switched over so that you can see the full contents of the Nuvi and hidden system files.

You should be able to see the SD card irrespective of what is on it.

Cheers
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed maps will be in the .system folder, with the map named gmapprom.img

Note as well as hidden files you need to show system files

If you have the TT map in the Map folder on the card then it should be selectable under Settings, Map and Vehicle, myMaps.

If it's not confirm that the card is formatted as FAT32? If not your nuvi won't see it.
Revlew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Further to further to nuvi 2548 Reply with quote

Hi sussamb, bavc10.

Success is sweet.... but not how I expected it to be!!
Firstly, no way can I find or see the system folder in the 2548, but as said yesterday, the win 7 browser was seeing the memory card and the down loaded TT map, but the 2548 was not when checking through settings..maps & vehicles..my maps.
Totally puzzled by you guys being so confident of what you were saying, I thought through what I had done etc. All seemed correct so I started all over again; by taking out the micro sd card and gently cleaning the contacts, put it back into the nuvi, had a check on my maps and there was the second set of TT maps being shown.
Switched on.. and sure enough all is working as should be.
So all my problems come down to seemingly having dirty contacts on the sd card. Perhaps I should have made sure earlier.
As I said before guys, many many thanks for you help. Me paying my subs to P GPS W has certainly been worth it.
Thanks again.
Best regards
Revlew. Razz
(East Yorkshire)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted ... just proves it's often the simple things in life Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: