Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomToms - Traffic Question?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomToms - Traffic Question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
gluey wrote:
Thanks for the info,
I like the back to basics but I need my own poi as I have my customers on the unit.
I use a company phone and as such is for voice and text only.

If its that much better then would it be worth buying another sim to put into an other phone to pair up.

Never had a PAYG phone deal, what would the cost be for this setup?

Honestly its so much better it makes a world of difference, in my day job I make about 15 stops am out of the car for 10mins and then back in. With the 1000 I had to leave it running or the traffic would take an age to connect, with the 500 It turns off and on with the ignition, and within 5 seconds of coming on the Device is Connected to the internet bar comes up on the screen followed straight away by the traffic. Not just the traffic but the general interface speed of the unit, postcode or address entry is so much faster with no more double pressing or missed entries.

Shame you would have to use a second phone though, sort of defeats the object if you have to have a second device just for the data, although it you get a OVIVO sim card (Costs £15 for the sim, and then you get free data and calls for ever)!! put that in a cheap android handset and tether it that would work well

OVIVO Charge £15 to buy the SIM, then give you 500Mb a month, 150 Mins of Voice Calls and 200 Texts every month free no contract no catch no topup needed ever. So with the £15 for the sim and a £50 Cheap android handset just for the Data and as a backup personal phone would probably be an excellent solution (Google Ovivo Mobile for more info), I have been with them 12 months for a sim for my ipad and its a great service (For basically nothing)

The POI Thing, yep thats a pain at the moment, but should soon be resolved. Or so they promise.

Personally the 500 is the best TomTom for many years as far as I am concerned. The Screen layout and everything about it is just better. (And I am TomTom from right back to the Old XDA PDA Versions!!)

Just had an email from ovovo, they have upped the data to 750mb per month for the one off cost of £15
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the OVIVO business model? Is their income derived from selling information about the data their customers download?

Anyway I'd be really grateful for specific information as the potential for buying noncompatible smartphones seems high. I believe Ovivo and giff-gaff are the known data plans, but which smartphones are known to work with the new Tomtoms?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
I looked at the Built in SIM option, but 2 things threw it out for me.

1: Its still 2G,

Is that really true? They must be mad! Have you seen it confirmed anywhaere?

Flashyphotos wrote:
2: the 6 Series are too big to fit the Dash mount built into my car,

I believe there should be a 500-sized permanently connected, "5000" model available, along with the 6000
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall a post from Darren somewhile back saying that TT is unlikely to switch to 3G connectivity as they would be unable to control their data costs. Tomtom could be clearer about this, the fact that they are not is a bit of a worry.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
What is the OVIVO business model? Is their income derived from selling information about the data their customers download?

It gets its income from the ads it shows when you first go on the internet - they say for 5 seconds. I am not sure whether that is only when you open your browser or whether it happens every time an app access data. Probably bearable if it is the former, totally useless if the latter.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Guivre46 wrote:

It gets its income from the ads it shows when you first go on the internet - they say for 5 seconds. I am not sure whether that is only when you open your browser or whether it happens every time an app access data. Probably bearable if it is the former, totally useless if the latter.

It is only when you use the browser, all other apps and email etc are bypassed, so it does not affect the TomTom connecting for Traffic.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
It is only when you use the browser, all other apps and email etc are bypassed, so it does not affect the TomTom connecting for Traffic.

I must say, as a developer, that this does worry me. It depends a lot on how TomTom talk to their servers, but most modern systems use REST which is a plain HTTP access, with a response that often includes data, but looks like a web page response. I would want to be very sure that they are breaking the first few accesses of any service by responding with an advert instead.

My understanding is that they haven't been actually putting in adverts for a while, so it is hard to test, but any service that might interject something into a normal http request is to be looked at with concern for non-browsing use.

It will be worth watching though, the price is good.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article from point of view of device costs.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Interesting article from point of view of device costs.

That was written a year ago, but includes this:
Quote:
“My belief is that by 2013 or mid-2014, 2G GSM in major [U.S.] cities will be non-existent,” said Hosain. “If AT&T can get Verizon spectrum, that may delay it.”

Even if it is delayed, the idea of buying a device that uses 2G GSM today would be folly. The idea of making one even more so.

The basic idea seems to be that they will leave about one channel on any cell live with 2G, and the rest will be re-purposed. (One channel supports 8 devices at the same time IIRC.) And of course 2G was a system that was able to have a fair range, more than 3G, so they will probably remove some cells completely ("did your signal level drop, no matter, it will still work").

The actual device cost will perhaps come down a bit as everyone "has" to move up, but it looks like any 2G system is in for a rocky ride. Thanks for posting that link - I shall buy the paired version if they ever add the key features back to the new devices.
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ovivo option looks attractive.

Anyone the cheapest phone that will work with the 500? ( or i might try to find a cracked screen android phone)

cheers

Martin

PS: I'm assuming a 3g tablet would also suffice?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about needing a new phone (3/4/5G etc) just to receive TT traffic really does pi55 me off BIG TIME (not you guys; but the principle!)

Why should I have to get a new super-duper phone just to receive their traffic services on their current devices?? I do not WANT to have to buy a new phone just for that as I'm more than happy with my little old Nokia 1616 (yes; without bluetooth, camera etc etc but GREAT for actually making phone calls)

It's the principle:- you want to pay for our traffic services, fine BUT you also have to buy a new phone to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrr!

Rant over!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
All this talk about needing a new phone (3/4/5G etc) just to receive TT traffic really does pi55 me off BIG TIME (not you guys; but the principle!)

Why should I have to get a new super-duper phone just to receive their traffic services on their current devices?? I do not WANT to have to buy a new phone just for that as I'm more than happy with my little old Nokia 1616 (yes; without bluetooth, camera etc etc but GREAT for actually making phone calls)

It's the principle:- you want to pay for our traffic services, fine BUT you also have to buy a new phone to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrr!

Rant over!

It is probably sort of simple: the person who is likely to buy a whizzy new touch screen satnav is also likely to have a whizzy new touch screen phone. There will be a small number who don't, but I used to connect my old dumb phone to my TomTom with Bluetooth, and that was a hundred years ago (or seems it), so I suspect most people actually do have bluetooth anyway. It may be worth checking your phone!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
There will be a small number who don't, but I used to connect my old dumb phone to my TomTom with Bluetooth, and that was a hundred years ago (or seems it), so I suspect most people actually do have bluetooth anyway. It may be worth checking your phone!

It's not as simple as that Matthew..... I actually bought a brand new Sony Xperia Smartphone AFTER I got one of the new TomToms, and I still managed to buy one that didn't work with it.

It's not just Bluetooth that these TomToms need, and it's not just "tethering" ability, it's specifically "Bluetooth tethering".

And even if you HAVE got the correct BT protocols in the phone, it still needs your network provider to have it enabled in your contract before it will work. It's a bit of a minefield.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I guess that's what you get for everyone who has complained about paying £50/year for built in - and there IS the option for paying around £70 more for "lifetime" data included versions, when they get released

Having said that, my 500 is (currently) a bit of a disappointment

Firstly, and to some unimportantly, the build doesn't seem as good as past (recent) TomToms, and nothing like the Garmin 3597/8 which I also own

As much as anything, its the bezel size and screen which lets it down (compared to the 3597/8) and I know this isn't everything for a car-positioned device, but if you are paying £200-£300 pound for something, it's nice to have a good look and feel

Then it basically does nothing, except navigate

My 3597/8 has everything chucked in, all that is missing from the TomTom and it's a lovely gadget to behold

Also roadwork traffic here is Wales is so fast (Digital version) and lots more data than on my TomTom

However, when it comes to A to B the Garmin routes, turn graphics and vocal instructions (with the exception of lane guidance) FAR beats the Garmin

So much so that I will probably play with my Garmin for another week or so, then sell it on Ebay or something

Just wish TomTom would get their act together regarding feature list
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Having said that, my 500 is (currently) a bit of a disappointment

Thank you for the detailed info. And dare I say, coming from you as someone who has been strongly TomTom supporting for a while it has a lot more weight. But it is good that the core functions are as good as ever.

I aim to buy one of these new ones when they get the improved capabilities.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: