Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New POI catagories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New POI catagories
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: New POI catagories Reply with quote

Hi, I am sure that this question must have been asked before but I cannot find an answer.

Who do I contact to request a new POI category in this case Shopping - Other - Antique shops

Thanks

John
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it's done in the way that you did it previously, on the POI Submission Page.

However, it would need to show that there is a general interest in a given category, to lead to the creation of a new category.

I wouldn't presume to belittle your efforts, and there has been no other input for this, but a balance has to be struck.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a very reasonable attitude.

However, how can you estimate the interest if there is no category?

Perhaps I am the only member interested in antiques.

On the other hand, maybe no one else has shown an interest because they assume that no one else is interested.

Anyway, not really a problem, I respect your decision.

John
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy, I think your answer is rather odd, it would seem to imply that any further POI categories are not wanted.
Pillboxman is correct that you cannot judge interest until a category is created which can be shown in the fact that quite a few existing categories have only one entry already or do you suggest these are removed.
Are categories actually monitored to judge how many are downloaded to judge interest?
Normally you could specify a new category when submitting a POI, but unfortunately not submitted lately so not sure if this still the case.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Oldboy was meaning that they can be added but would likely be under a more general 'shopping' category. Should there be a lot of antique shops added and further interest then it would be worth splitting it out into its own category.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Oldboy, I think your answer is rather odd, it would seem to imply that any further POI categories are not wanted.
That certainly wasn't the impression I was trying to make.

aj2052 wrote:
Pillboxman is correct that you cannot judge interest until a category is created ...
Why not? If a larger number of users expressed an interest, by offering (in this case), locations of Antique Shops I can see no reason why the category wouldn't be created.

aj2052 wrote:
... which can be shown in the fact that quite a few existing categories have only one entry already or do you suggest these are removed.
Some of those categories were created at the inception of the database, before it was fully obvious what would be of interest. Some are locations of a company, or group, that has a network of sites. But no one has added to them, so is there any interest?

So yes, they may be deleted, but it's not at the top of the to-do list while there are other housekeeping jobs to be done.

aj2052 wrote:
Are categories actually monitored to judge how many are downloaded to judge interest?
No.

aj2052 wrote:
Normally you could specify a new category when submitting a POI, but unfortunately not submitted lately so not sure if this still the case.
It still is.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see some of the POIs removed that just have 1 or 2 entries, and some new ones created that we can add to. For example if you created one for Florists today I would add quite a few to it this evening.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that MaFt is considering redsigning the POI pages currently.

Perhaps a solution to this issue is to divide the download page into two - the top half for those categories which are considered to be "complete" (or at least have enough entries to be worthwhile downloading), and the bottom half for those categories which are still "under development". This way PGPSW could be seen to be requesting more submissions for a new category, but not advertising it as being an entire collection.

Moving slightly off-topic, it could be an opportunity to revise some of the icons at the same time. A few of them are using rather old logos for some of the brands. I have created one or two for my own use, and am happy to provide if required. Also consider producing icons in 24x24 format for the TomTom download; these display better on newer versions of the TT software. I realise this is not a small amount of work, as each icon has to be produced in a number of formats/sizes, but am just making a suggestion for consideration.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Perhaps a solution to this issue is to divide the download page into two

The download 'tree' won't be changing. I will be improving the submission area, mainly because the maps will stop working in a few months, and also to improve the workflow when submitting.

MaFt
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine creating poi categories is a pretty thankless task without reward, I doubt there's be any objection to anyone with a special interest (like antique shops) creating the poi category themselves!
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I imagine creating poi categories is a pretty thankless task without reward, I doubt there's be any objection to anyone with a special interest (like antique shops) creating the poi category themselves!

Give me the instructions and I am happy to do it.

John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
I would like to see some of the POIs removed that just have 1 or 2 entries, and some new ones created that we can add to. For example if you created one for Florists today I would add quite a few to it this evening.

I would love to see SOME way of encouraging people to add and update the POI databases.
Everyone needs to realise that most of the categories don't appear by magic, someone had to create them, and some of the categories will soon get out of date unless there is constant updating done. That's obviously impossible for one man or even a small team to do.

A year or so ago, one enterprising forum member started a "lets update THIS category this week" campaign, which I thought was great, but it fizzled out. (EDIT: I t might even have been YOU mccririck? Very Happy)

If everyone who uses the POI downloads could just correct or add a few nearby ones to themselves each week, it would make a huge difference.
Maybe PGPSW could come up with some small incentive, even if just a "star award" sort of thing.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:

Give me the instructions and I am happy to do it.

John

The simplest way is to start a new POI category on your SatNav and start adding locations in whatever way your system allows.
You can then send the POI file (along with a few notes to explain it) to the team at PGPSW for consideration. They will accept most of the popular file formats, such as TomTom's .ov2 or Garmin's .csv formats.

Alternatively, you could use a PC utility such as POIEdit, or POIManager to create the file.

If you want to go beyond your own discoveries and to create a more comprehensive list of whatever it is you're interested in, then the first hard part is getting the accurate data.
Even companies own lists of their branches are often quite vague, with only Postcodes given instead of full addresses.

Once you have a list of addresses, the next big job is to convert those into coordinates (usually Lat/Long) which can be entered into whatever makes the POI file.
THAT'S not easy to do automatically or in bulk! There used to be some on-line utilities to do it but my bookmarks no longer work.
So it could end up being a very laborious manual job, unless anyone else has any bright ideas.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
mccririck wrote:

I would love to see SOME way of encouraging people to add and update the POI databases.
Everyone needs to realise that most of the categories don't appear by magic, someone had to create them, and some of the categories will soon get out of date unless there is constant updating done. That's obviously impossible for one man or even a small team to do.

A year or so ago, one enterprising forum member started a "lets update THIS category this week" campaign, which I thought was great, but it fizzled out. (EDIT: I t might even have been YOU mccririck? Very Happy)

If everyone who uses the POI downloads could just correct or add a few nearby ones to themselves each week, it would make a huge difference.
Maybe PGPSW could come up with some small incentive, even if just a "star award" sort of thing.

I tend to work away from home occasionally with my work, and what I tend to do is correct as many POIs in the area I'm working that I can. Usually you can add/correct a petrol station or two, the position of the Lidl / Aldi supermarket, add a public toilet etc.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Daggers wrote:
Perhaps a solution to this issue is to divide the download page into two

The download 'tree' won't be changing. I will be improving the submission area, mainly because the maps will stop working in a few months, and also to improve the workflow when submitting.

MaFt

No problem - I was just thinking out "aloud". I can see why such a change would be over-complicated!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: