Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Worthwhile upgrading from 930T to Go Live 1005 HDT Europe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Worthwhile upgrading from 930T to Go Live 1005 HDT Europe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackanapes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Worthwhile upgrading from 930T to Go Live 1005 HDT Europe? Reply with quote

I'm generally happy with my 930T except that I find the TMC traffic information unreliable, and it sometimes causes my PC to crash.

I have been wondering about getting HD Traffic. Argos are currently selling the TomTom Go Live 1005 HDT Europe for £199.99 with free lifetime maps and 3 years' subscription to HD Traffic.

On the other hand I read various posts suggesting that in some ways the later models are not as good as the older ones. The 930T has N America maps, remote control and mp3 player, but I can probably do without these features.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GO1005 is probably the best of the new models

Some pros:
Very neat thin shape
Very good mount, magnetic quick release
Excellent sound quality
Very bright clear screen, much brighter than the GO930 (but more susceptible to reflections)
Much faster routing
HD Traffic - Definitely better than RDS Traffic when working - more roads covered.
Other LIVE Services

Lifetime maps is a good idea!

Cons:
No Itinerary function
POI searches reduced in range
No on-screen compass
No America map from new, unless you buy the "World" edition.
No music player or text reader
No Bluetooth audio output
No line out for sound unless you buy the special mount.

I think you will like it... I have a GO940 and a GO1005, and it's only the mp3 player I really miss from the 940

But if you want to know EVERYTHING I didn't like about the new models when they first came out, have a look at THIS list.
Jackanapes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your helpful response.

I currently use a Brodit mount and thought that I would problably get an active dock anyway, such as this. http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/mounts-holders-and-docks/active-dock-fixed-installation-9UCB.001.05/

I see that the dock has a line out connection, which I hadn't spotted until you mentioned it. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything on the Tomtom website or elsewhere which suggests that the 1005 has the capability to play mp3 files. Do you know if there is something within the software that enables this?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. None of the Nav3 devices (such as the 1005) can play mp3 files.
Jackanapes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies. I didn't read your post properly - you make it quite clear that there is no mp3 player. Thanks again for all the useful info!
Jackanapes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of removed features seems a bit alarming.

Does "POIs further than 50 miles cannot be found or searched for" mean that it is impossible to navigate to a POI which is more than 50 miles away without finding its address from some other source and then inputting the address? If so that seems quite a disadvantage.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still navigate to a POI a long way away, but to find it you have to ask the unit to search around a nearby town or city, or you can still just scroll around and find it on the map.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but as an example of how it can be annoying, I have a POI category with the members of my immediate family in. There are only 7 or 8 of them so they all fitted on a couple of screens when I listed them, and I could just choose "POI near home" in order to see them all.

But on the new models, it looks like I have less members of the family because two of them live further away. I now have to do a search around somewhere 'oop north' to get them listed.
Jackanapes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all of your help.

Actually I went out and took the plunge and bought it. Initial reaction is favourable, like first getting a smart phone!

Incidentally, Argos said that I couldn't take it back unless it was faulty. I wonder whether this, along with the favourable prices there and at Halfords, indicates that new models are about to be released.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have already announced new PNDs are coming this year, and are having a Consumer VIP Event in Amsterdam on 17th April

...maybe!...

If they dont announce new models then, I'm going get one of those bundles (3 Years HD, Lifetime Maps) too. Seems a good deals whatever happens!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
TomTom have already announced new PNDs are coming this year...

If it's anything like some of their previous "improved" new models... Get the old ones while you can!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: