Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Powered cradle with speaker for 3xxx series question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Powered cradle with speaker for 3xxx series question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Powered cradle with speaker for 3xxx series question Reply with quote

Hi,
Can someone with one of these mounts please supply the dimensions?
Mainly interested in the front to back length minus the ball mount fixture.

Many thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall dimensions:

Height (top to bot) 85MM
Width (side to side) 38MM
Width incl power lead connector 53MM
Depth with ball removed 30MM

Mine is attached to a Brodit Pro-Clip via a Brodit Garmin sized Ball, avoids having it supported on the sucker and doesn't leave any marks on the glass as it is attached firmly to the dash - Mike
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike that's really handy as there is nothing on the website.
Can I just confirm it is 30mm not including the ball? In other words 30mm from front to where the ball would start?
Am I right that the thin 3xxx series comes flush with the connector, not increasing the depth?
I am trying to see if it will fit in a tight spot inside a dash cubby.

Also find it weird that both 4.3 & 5.0 screens fit the same unit so does the protruding top clip extend to accommodate I wonder

Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The depth was measured with the unit pulled away from the "ball" you could probably shave a further 5MM off the 30MM dimension you are interested in if the Ball mount isn't needed as part of the receptical for the ball sticks out from the rear of the mount and I included this in the earlier measurement, it wouldn't hurt the mount to cut the collar off and reduce the depth by 5MM if you have no intention of using a ball mount.

The top section doesn't extend on my mount which is for a 3790T and I have no idea if the 4,3 and 5,0 screens use identical mounts in terms of dimensions - Mike
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ball mount is the same for all Garmin Nuvis. The powered connector is different. The 4.3 connector will only fit the 4.3 models (ie 3490) whilst the connector for the 5 models (ie 3590) is slightly larger to accommodate the larger height of the unit.

The connectors are fixed - ie can't be extended or interchanged either. The connector pins at the bottom are very slightly different.
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a fixed ball already attached in the cubby. what i am trying to ascertain is the distance from the foremost point of the ball to the front of the nav unit which sits flush with the protruding connection lip at the bottom

a nuvi 40 fits as this unit is 18mm in depth and when in its cradle, which fits flush to its back, is therefore only 18mm from the tip of the ball to its screen

i see how if the ball 'cup' is recessed into the powered mount unit itself then this is hard to measure but the nuvi 40 is quite tight already but i was hoping to get away with the powered mount as well as the 3xxx series which are only 0.8mm thick effectively gaining an extra 10mm over the nuvi 40

i hope this all makes sense Smile

some good pics of the mount here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddCartfromGallery.asp?EdpNo=6089192&csid=ITD&Sku=G145-0360&imgcart=1

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: