Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom phone kit for iphone (or Mio)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom phone kit for iphone (or Mio)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom phone kit for iphone (or Mio) Reply with quote

My wife has just been given a second hand iphone 4, and she is looking for a simple to use car kit for it, with charger and built in speaker. I notice there are lots of second hand TomTom car kits available on ebay from people who have just bought the iphone 5. I know some of you use this kit and I wonder if you could help me with some queries please.

1 Can it be used with the phone in a thin case?

2 Can the windscreen mount be removed so that I can mount it onto an existing fixed car mount we already have?

3 Can it work with the new Apple maps sat nav (which is TT based)?

4 Is it OK as a car phone kit - can you hear and be heard when using it? That is the main use it is going to get, as she rarely goes far enough to need sat nav.

I have also noticed on ebay a Mio GPS car kit for the iphone. Has anybody tried that and if so what is it like please?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

By the way the TT car kit I was referring to was the "old" (pre 2012) one)
[/list]
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes - but a number of them would not charge the iPhone 4 even with the "packing piece" TT supplied with the kit. I had several which would not before TT supplied one which would!!

I have no experience of the Mio/iPhone kit

Short answers to some direct questions!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can modify the TT iPhone holder to fit on to a Brodit Pro-Clip see Here for some details, I did this modification a few years ago as I don't like windscreen suckers!

As for the TT holder, with an iPhone4 you don't need the GPS receiver of the mount as the receiver built in to the iPhone is fine in use even in city centers, the sound pairing can be hit and miss and it won't work if the iPhone is in a bumper case.

To be honest I would get a powered iPhone holder from Brodit, they make one that accepts the iPhone4 in a bumper case which works really well, I installed one to the wifes car last year. As for audio get either a Parrot or iO-Play_2 fitted to the car, far better than the audio presented via the TT mounts speaker which to be honest isn't very good - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you. We think we have now ruled out the TT car kit, but the Mio one looks a lot better, and cheaper too on ebay. She doesn't want anything too expensive or difficult to use so that is why we are thinking of the single holder.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: