Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
MacFixer, the iPhone, iPod, and iPad specialists
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Roadhawk HD Digital Driver Protection System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Roadhawk HD Digital Driver Protection System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PeteB
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Oct 23, 2003
Posts: 22
Location: Hopton UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I know they don't offer 360 coverage but they can be a huge help should you be involved in an accident.


There is another model with two lenses, one forward and one rearward if that's important. I went for the DC-1 because it was so neat, and didn't want an external GPS sensor (the internal one on my DC-1 works just fine on my Prius).

Nonetheless, a forward facing camera can still be useful if hit from the side or rear as it can still show whether your vehicle was 'correctly proceeding' or not and shows what led up to the incident.

I know someone with a camera that was hit from behind, and the other driver claimed he stopped abruptly with no warning. The video evidence clearly showed him slowing gently as he approached a vehicle waiting to turn right, and an obvious lurch before he had stopped from the impact.

Regards, PeteB


Last edited by PeteB on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeteB
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Oct 23, 2003
Posts: 22
Location: Hopton UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panet wrote:
It would be great if it had a 'park mode' ...


The old DC-1 that I have with the hard-wire kit has this (so I'm surprised it isn't on the new one), but you have to manually activate it (otherwise it continues to record in full mode, which uses more memory as it's higher definition and records the GPS data (not much use when the car is stationary!). When you start moving again it automatically reboots into normal mode (but you'll miss out if you have a crash in the 13 or so seconds this takes!).

I did feed back to Roadhawk a suggestion that future version of the firmware started this mode automatically if the car is stationary for more than a user selectable period.

As others have said, the hardwire kit cuts power if the voltage drops to save the car's battery going flat.

Regards, PeteB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
karlnewsome
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jun 26, 2006
Posts: 8
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towergate insurance company issue the roadhawk camera free to truckers who are insured with them, quiet a few of the drivers I know have them fitted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beachman
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget roadhawk records audio as well;
careful what you say to others, also the wife or girl friend :twisted:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xiiipaul
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 08, 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Roadhawk HD park mode Reply with quote

PeteB wrote:
Panet wrote:
It would be great if it had a 'park mode' ...


The old DC-1 that I have with the hard-wire kit has this (so I'm surprised it isn't on the new one), but you have to manually activate it (otherwise it continues to record in full mode, which uses more memory as it's higher definition and records the GPS data (not much use when the car is stationary!). When you start moving again it automatically reboots into normal mode (but you'll miss out if you have a crash in the 13 or so seconds this takes!).

I did feed back to Roadhawk a suggestion that future version of the firmware started this mode automatically if the car is stationary for more than a user selectable period.

As others have said, the hardwire kit cuts power if the voltage drops to save the car's battery going flat.

Regards, PeteB


The HD does have the parked mode as per the DC1 unit but to avoid the eventual flat battery you must wire it with the hard wiring kit. Mine provides great video protection to the rear of my property as well as protecting the car!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23848
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachman wrote:
dont forget roadhawk records audio as well;
careful what you say to others, also the wife or girl friend Twisted Evil

You can disable audio if you wish.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Aug 10, 2005
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the previous Roadhawk for a couple of years, and purchased a windscreen sucker unit from Roadhawk that I use on hire cars. (The driving in rural NZ (Ut-land), leaves little to the imagination ;-)

Is the video quality much improved over the previous version ?

(from memory VGA 640 X 480, but could be wrong)

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23848
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyIshUk wrote:
Is the video quality much improved over the previous version ?

Yes, that's the main change! It's now High Definition at 720p (1280720) or 1080p (19201080)

The quality difference is immediately obvious. Take a look at the sample vide to see for yourself.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
xiiipaul
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 08, 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TonyIshUk wrote:
Is the video quality much improved over the previous version ?

Yes, that's the main change! It's now High Definition at 720p (1280720) or 1080p (19201080)

The quality difference is immediately obvious. Take a look at the sample vide to see for yourself.


I can second that comment. On the Dc1 video quality was ok but on the HD I have found it to be pin sharp and number plates are easily readable.
I have tried the 'cheaper' options for camera data logging and have come to the conclusion that the Roadhawksmart are the most reliable and the HD model is well worth the extra money over the DC1 model. ( I don't work for the company either, just a consumer!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Aug 10, 2005
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the speedy reply Very Happy

The downloads I have seen all seem to be taken from a screen shot of the Roadhawk interface program, not raw footage. Are there any samples of the actual clips taken by the camera ?

I assume that the raw footage can be played on any mp4 software player (VLC, Quicktime eyc)

Rgds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xiiipaul
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 08, 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyIshUk wrote:
Thx for the speedy reply Very Happy

The downloads I have seen all seem to be taken from a screen shot of the Roadhawk interface program, not raw footage. Are there any samples of the actual clips taken by the camera ?

I assume that the raw footage can be played on any mp4 software player (VLC, Quicktime eyc)

Rgds


I play it on the software provided (also available from Roadhawk web site) but it works on windows media player as a video. I've just formatted my sd card so I won't have any footage until tomorrow but difference IS very noticeable!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23848
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyIshUk wrote:
The downloads I have seen all seem to be taken from a screen shot of the Roadhawk interface program, not raw footage. Are there any samples of the actual clips taken by the camera ?

the download linked at bottom of my review has a mix of raw footage and the edited version showing application in action
Quote:
I assume that the raw footage can be played on any mp4 software player (VLC, Quicktime eyc)

Have you read my review? I answered this Smile
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Aug 10, 2005
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have taken another look at the video and take your points Very Happy

I did read your review, but got overtaken wondering why the video was not playing properly on my rather elderly laptop.

It seemed that using Quicktime decided to upgrade itself as it had not been used for a while whilst the antivirus decided to upgrade the engine and database !!!!

Wondering why the video was playing at about a frame a second Rolling Eyes

Seems time to relegate the older unit to the back window to spy on tailgaters, who seem to love our Toyota IQ. Its when I look in the mirror and see the whites of the drivers eyes, I know they are too close ! Does not apply to vans, as all I can see is the makers marque on the grill.

Rgds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wishlist
Lifetime Member


Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at one of these before it was quite as good as it is now but stumbled upon an iPhone app called Witness Driving for 69p (it was at the time) which turned the phone into a black box. It did mean I had to hardwire a power supply to the phone but I have been using it for ages now and am surprised more people don't?! It's worth a punt at that price anyway. BTW I have no connection whatsoever with the Witness guys but thought its worth a mention. No Spam Here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xiiipaul
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 08, 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
I looked at one of these before it was quite as good as it is now but stumbled upon an iPhone app called Witness Driving for 69p (it was at the time) which turned the phone into a black box. It did mean I had to hardwire a power supply to the phone but I have been using it for ages now and am surprised more people don't?! It's worth a punt at that price anyway. BTW I have no connection whatsoever with the Witness guys but thought its worth a mention. No Spam Here


Great idea and tremendous value. I think for the basic road cam functions it's as good as any. If you want data logging and GPS tracking and incident recording then you need a more intricate product. I would recommend starting with he iPhone app and once you are convinced of the merits investigate the high end products like the Roadhawk which I have found to be perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
19.114 (24 Nov 21)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping