Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - moving from iphone to android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

moving from iphone to android

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: moving from iphone to android Reply with quote

Hi I am potentially moving from iphone to android. I use tomtom and cameralert ALL the time to get around.
I've just paid for a years subscription to cameralert a few weeks back, can that subscription be transferred from iphone to android? (I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy S3).
I'm a little confused, i've had cameralert intergrated in my tomtom app on my iphone a few years now and i load up tomtom and the cameralert is right there in the tomtom app right from the get go.
i forgot how i integrated it into the tomtom iphone app, they just work together.
ideally i'd like the same on android, is this possible? to fire up tomtom on the android, press go and if i come across any nasty gatsos it flashes up in tomtom?
any guidance much appreciated.
cheers
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: moving from iphone to android Reply with quote

paulski1106 wrote:
I've just paid for a years subscription to cameralert a few weeks back, can that subscription be transferred from iphone to android? (I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy S3).

Yes. Once you register CamerAlert on your new device you just need to log in with your account to link the device to your subscription.

paulski1106 wrote:
I'm a little confused, i've had cameralert intergrated in my tomtom app on my iphone a few years now and i load up tomtom and the cameralert is right there in the tomtom app right from the get go.

Not sure what you mean here. We cannot 'integrate with tomtom' in this way. We do, however, have an option where you select an app to run when CamerAlert starts. I.e. you would launch CamerAlert and then when that loads it would automatically open up TomTom (or other) app for you.

paulski1106 wrote:
i forgot how i integrated it into the tomtom iphone app, they just work together.
ideally i'd like the same on android, is this possible? to fire up tomtom on the android, press go and if i come across any nasty gatsos it flashes up in tomtom?

See above! Both Android and iPhone versions of CamerAlert have the 'also run' option. With Android you can set it to run any app on the device.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the OP does mean CA the app, not CA the database loaded into TT. Bad move calling the separately downloadable CA database the same as the CA app Rolling Eyes
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, i guess what i was looking for was more that if i change to GS3 from iPhone 5 will i be able to make use of tomtom with cameralert.
i need the maps offline as i travel all over the place and online mapping is a nono.
tomtom on my iphone with cameralert has been great, i'd be sticking with iphone 5 for all its faults apart from the deals are atrocious and i arent prepared to be ripped off to that extent.
if i know i can cobble it all together before i commit thats good enough for me, i'll faff around with once i change my phone, just didnt want to get the phone and then realise i couldn't do what i needed to do with the satnav.
cheers
Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I swapped out from an iPhone 4S to Samsung Galaxy S-III last year, TomTom runs fine on it along with CamerAlert in the background - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get TomTom for Android but it will be a separate purchase - i.e. you can't 'transfer' a license from iOS to Android.
You can also run CamerAlert in teh background and get warnings etc as before. On Android if you have the overspeed alert set then you get a massive speed sign flashing up n the screen in front of any app you run as a subtle reminder of the current speed limit Smile Something we're not able to do on iOS.

Hope that helps?

MaFt
paulski1106
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys thats all very helpful, put my mind at ease, the sat nav thing would have been a deal breaker.
now i just need to go into town and have a look at a GS3, see if i can live with the os after being on an iphone all these years!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another happy SGS3 / TT / CA user here, all integrates well

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: