Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update on Kenwood DNX-4210DAB install - last chance saloon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on Kenwood DNX-4210DAB install - last chance saloon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Update on Kenwood DNX-4210DAB install - last chance saloon? Reply with quote

The unit has been in for around 6 months. It came with firmware 1.8.0 It's now on 1.11.0 and I will be updating to 1.12.0 soon unless there are any really bad reports. It's really the last chance for me to like it.

It came with 1.8.0 and I updated to 1.10.0 which came out a few days after the install. 1.10.0 was withdrawn by Kenwood within the week after a lot of problems. If you complained loud enough you would be sent 1.9.0 as a sort of back step, that upgrade was never issued between 1.8.0 and 1.10.0.

I had many problems:

Long start-up time. It takes almost a minute from starting the car to seeing the functioning satnav. So I am driving onto the main road before I can even enter a destination.

Unit would restart randomly. Possibly a memory overload because it always seemed to happen at "busy" times when there were a lot of instructions in a row. So just when you needed it!!

From time to time it loses sight of the satellites. The only cure is to turn it off and on again. That means you are driving for the next minute with no instructions. Or, more likely, you have missed a turning because instructions have ceased as you haven't realised the satellites have gone AWOL.

Bluetooth does not automatically connect my phone every time. It knows it's paired, but I have to go into the telephone screen and select my phone and threaten to re-pair it, when it suddenly connects…

After muting the front speakers for a satnav instruction, the muted speaker sometimes stays muted. Again a turn off and on seems to fix it, but again you lose the satnav for nearly a minute.

The DAB radio loses its presets.

I have the radio set so that it will change to DAB from FM automatically if the DAB signal is better. But if the DAB signal degrades, it doesn't change back to FM. You have to go into the menu and do it manually.

I have managed to get the PGPSW cameras on the unit, but not the voices yet. That may be something that I have done wrong though.

The speed alerts on the Kenwood are constant and I can't see a way to turn them off. And the radio mutes every time. Really annoying.

If you plug in the iPhone to charge it, the unit automatically switches to that source, even if nothing is playing. So, plug-in iPhone and you get silence, or some random piece of music from your library. I have it choosing silence as the lesser of two evils. But you have to manually go to the main menu and reselect the radio/CD/ etc.

Installing upgrades is very hit & miss. I follow the instructions, but it only seems to take the upgrade if you enter "standby mode" in the right way. You can select standby from the touch screen via the menu button, but upgrades only seems to work if you get to standby via the "real" menu button on the side of the unit. And then it only takes if the upgrade files are the only items on the USB stick. You can have the files in the right folder, but if there are any other things on the stick, it seems to fail. Another annoyance.

An upgrade in the next few days to 1.12.0 is the only hope. But I'm not expecting much. The only thing that was solved by the previous upgrades was the random restarting.

Next time it will be a different make. Alpine or Pioneer, probably. but I will definitely do a lot more research. I thought that Kenwood were a premium product. Sadly this is not so.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Last edited by sgould on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Update on Kenwood DNX-4210DAB install - last chance salo Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
It's really the last chance for me to like it.
Sounds like they have failed that one then. What a catalogue of problems. TT owners pay attention. You have never had it so good Rolling Eyes
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!

Where is the TomTom double DIN dash mount unit with handsfree phone and a removable bit so that you can program the next days routes in the comfort of your own home? Smile
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: