Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks brilliant. I've been meaning to try it out for a while now and just got around to changing my usual setup to this.

However, I really can't get my head around the OverSpeed setting and what numbers I need to set there.

I would like a warning of an approaching camera (of course). If I am under the limit then that's all I want - just the one warning. If I am over the limit I would like repeated warnings.
But speedos usually under-report the speed so if I'm less than 10% over I only want the one warning, 10% over I want repeated warnings. Is that what OverSpeed is for? Can you give some examples to help me understand please?

Also, where is the Duplicates option?
My config file is also stored in a folder with the name: Kremmen_Walkerx_for_PGPSW\GarminConverter.exe_Url_34tludwpmiipat0poami51viu02qlh3j
That's not right is it?

Great work, nice interface, nice double checking of file consistency etc.. Clever and very useful.
City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are of course right about speedos over reading, but GPS systems don't.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m-a-r-k wrote:
This looks brilliant. I've been meaning to try it out for a while now and just got around to changing my usual setup to this.

However, I really can't get my head around the OverSpeed setting and what numbers I need to set there.

I would like a warning of an approaching camera (of course). If I am under the limit then that's all I want - just the one warning. If I am over the limit I would like repeated warnings.
But speedos usually under-report the speed so if I'm less than 10% over I only want the one warning, 10% over I want repeated warnings. Is that what OverSpeed is for? Can you give some examples to help me understand please?

Also, where is the Duplicates option?
My config file is also stored in a folder with the name: Kremmen_Walkerx_for_PGPSW\GarminConverter.exe_Url_34tludwpmiipat0poami51viu02qlh3j
That's not right is it?

Great work, nice interface, nice double checking of file consistency etc.. Clever and very useful.

Garmin have a funny way with POI's. When a Garmin unit spots a camera it makes a decision as to your speed and whether it perceives you need to be warned.
Within the file it determines this by the inclusion of a "@.30" say. When it sees this it will produce the warning if you are travelling at 30 or above.

This has prompted some Garmin owners to think that there is a missing camera if they never get 'up to speed' and therefore never get a warning for that camera.

What I've done is to include two lines for each camera. One is the normal "@.30" and the other is a "#.30".

The "#.30" will always produce a warning, regardless of speed, so your decision is to decide how many seconds, at your current speed, you want to be warned of the cameras existence. This is the 'approach' distance.

The second 'Overspeed' warning will be triggered if you are on or over the limit. Again, you can specify when this should be triggered.

Therefore, if you are travelling under the limit you will get one warning that the camera is there.
If you are over the limit you will get one warning that the camera is there and a series of other warnings if you stay over the limit.

Simples !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as a mildly interested lurker as I don't have a Garmin and from your explanation above, the Approach column gives the advance alert 'distance' in seconds to the cam. I am having a bit of a problem with the OverSpeed column. Presumably it sets the speed at which the overspeed alerts will sound. Is the OverSpeed column in MPH or percent? Presumably, if you set it to zero, the overspeed warning will happen at the cam speed but if there is a number in the column the alert will not happen until you are that much (in MPH or percent) over the cam limit? Or have I misunderstood?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set the 'Approach' figure to 14 then you will get a warning 14 seconds before you reach the camera.

If you set the 'Overspeed' to 6 then, if you are at or above the limit when the camera is 6 seconds away, you will get another warning.

If you set either of them to zero then it will not produce any warning for that item for that entry.

I tend to set my Mobile camera alerts to 14 (approach) and zero (overspeed). I therefore only get a warning when I am 14 seconds away and that's it, regardless of my speed.

These settings can only be performed in a .GPX file which is a pseudo .XML file. within these files is a 'proximity' marker that allows teh above to be imported into the Garmin via POILoader.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detail Kremmen. I understand now. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was an exercise worth doing.

whilst it worked, my code was a bit unwieldy so walkerx took it by the scruff and tidied it up and injected some welcome 'user friendly' changes.

We passed it back and forth a few times until we had a version that we were both happy with.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@m-a-r-k

Thanks for the feedback

The duplicates option has been renamed to Adjacent and the TBA as Unverified - both now tick-boxes.

The default save path for settings is determined by Microsoft and the way My.Settings work within .NET. I've not been able to determine how to force it to a specific directory within the user's local settings.

With the My.Settings of Visual Basic, we know need to mess about with reading/writing configuration files, like you previously had to do. You can bind variables a lot easier to settings within the config file and it only saves the ones that have been changed from the default.

There are a lot of bugs within Visual Studio, which we've had to overcome, but I think we've managed to get around them.

@Kremmen - thanks for the comments

@all - thanks for the feedback and hope you do enjoy using it

Overall I'm happy with it, especially as only done a bit of coding in VB2010 as previously only done MSM, VB6 and Delphi 6
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you walkerx and Kremmen - I now understand.
My problem was the same as M8TJT as to what exactly I should enter in the OverSpeed boxes. I know the readme.txt file says seconds, but what exactly was it timing?

So from what you say, if I'm over the speed limit I will get 2 warnings (as opposed to the 8 I get now for mobiles!!) - the "@.30" warning and the "#.30" warning. Is that right?
If so that is a vast improvement as the repeated warnings were, quite frankly, a bloody nuisance!

Glad to know the save path is OK. I've not seen a folder name like that in 30 years of using computers so naturally thought it was corrupted. No big deal, just wondered.

Thanks both for this program, it has now replaced my previous set up.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m-a-r-k wrote:
Thank you walkerx and Kremmen - I now understand.
My problem was the same as M8TJT as to what exactly I should enter in the OverSpeed boxes. I know the readme.txt file says seconds, but what exactly was it timing?

So from what you say, if I'm over the speed limit I will get 2 warnings (as opposed to the 8 I get now for mobiles!!) - the "@.30" warning and the "#.30" warning. Is that right?
If so that is a vast improvement as the repeated warnings were, quite frankly, a bloody nuisance!

Glad to know the save path is OK. I've not seen a folder name like that in 30 years of using computers so naturally thought it was corrupted. No big deal, just wondered.

Thanks both for this program, it has now replaced my previous set up.

I think we still need to update the help-files as they showing the old images, but we wanted to get the main functionality of the app working and tested first.

The save-name is automatic which means you shouldn't get a lot of the warnings about writing/saving to a specific location. Also when you install a later version it detects the older version and should load in any previously saved settings.

I've looked all over net to see how you can force this (even looked at the msdn stuff), but can't find anything to help me Sad, so if anyone else if good at VB.NET and know how to force the path then let me know.

There are still further improvements to be had, one of which was looking at allowing the overspeed cameras to be seperate, similar to Camera Manager. But will only add if lots of users would like this feature.
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Could you answer the specific question as to how many warnings I'd get if travelling over the speed please, would it be just 2?

I've found a little bug. Not all of the *.csv files are renamed to *.prev.
I've been testing and wrote a command file to rename *.prev back to *.csv to discover that only the gatso and redlight csv files are renamed.

I do have all the camera type boxes ticked. It would be useful to keep the old csv files.
Thanks again.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m-a-r-k wrote:
Thank you.

Could you answer the specific question as to how many warnings I'd get if travelling over the speed please, would it be just 2?

I've been testing and wrote a command file to rename *.prev back to *.csv to discover that only the gatso and redlight csv files are renamed.

I do have all the camera type boxes ticked. It would be useful to keep the old csv files.
Thanks again.

TBH, I couldn't answer that question but Kremmen might be able to. I think it may be down to how fast you are driving :P I never use the overspeed option for cameras as the Garmin itself can warn you if you go over the speed by 1mph (unlike the TomTom's which is either 5 or 10 percent).

I think the *.prev setting was from the original build which I never altered, but could possibly easily added in the build.
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. My oldish Garmin doesn't warn me if I'm over the speed limit.

An alternative would be to rename the *.csv files to *.old after being processed so keeping with the usual 3-letter file name extension.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m-a-r-k wrote:
Thank you.

Thanks again.

The .Prev files are support files containing the new cameras inserted since the last update. I use these to create a separate file (new cameras.txt) that I can load into Microsoft MapPoint to see exactly where the new cameras are. If a particular category has no new cameras then it won't create a .prev file for that category.

As far as the warnings go, you will get the first 'Approach' warning at the time set. If you are still 'over the limit' by the time the second 'Overspeed' time is reached then you will get a second warning. You will likely get a third and possibly a fourth if you stay over the limit.
If however you are doing say 45 approaching a 50 MPH camera then you should only get a single warning.

if you make use of the adjacent camera removal feature then this will remove one set of cameras from adjacent gantries on Motorways for example. Because Garmin won't divulge the directional requirements you will get 2 warnings as you are passing 2 sets of cameras only separated by the central reservation.
I would also recommend setting the Gatso_var to 70 instead of the default zero. With zero you are always 'overspeed' and you will get continual overspeed warnings.

There is a built in calculator to help you determine your Approach and Overspeed requirements. before I had the Garmin I had a TalexLite and I found that Approach and Overspeed to be perfect for my style of driving. I based my settings on that.
I have all my Approach timings on 14 seconds and my Overspeed on 6 (or zero where I don't want an overspeed warning).

The original .zip file is retained so once you've created the .GPX files and loaded them onto your Garmin, simply unzip the file again and your .CSV files will be restored. If we left the .CSV files behind at this stage you would have double the number of cameras loaded and you'd be bonging all the way down the road.

Hope that all helps.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kremmen, all understood now.

I mistakenly thought the prev files were copies of the csv file hence my rambling on about renaming the old csv files to *.old.

Much appreciate the feedback and program.
Well done.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 2 of 74

Jump to: