Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - G P S on Nexus 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

G P S on Nexus 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, let me see if I can explain a bit.

First point; CamerAlert (CA) is not a form of navigation software, it juust uses the PGPSW database to alert you of the presence of fixed cameras, and the locations of possible mobile cameras. It can run in the foreground, so that you can see the location of cams on the map (if you have a data connection), or in the background behind any other app, which would normally be a nav program. If you have a data connection, CA can display a moving map display showing your position and the position of any speed cameras. If you do not have a data connection, it will still show you the position ofcameras in relation to you and alert you to their presence, but you will not have the map display.

Second point; If you do have a working nav software (they must have on board maps if you don't have a data connection), then CA will run in the background to this and warn you of cameras but will not display them on the nav software maps.

Having said all that, using a nave software with CA running in the background gives you the best of both worlds, a navigation program and the well respected PGPSW camera database that is a long way more reliable than other manufacturers' offerings. In addition CA only alerts you to cameras if they are on 'your side' of the road. Cameras pointing 'the other way' do not alert, so you only get alerted for the cams that can 'catch you'.

So if you have a nav program, it's just a case of starting that program and CA, with the nav program displayed.
david1949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT all this help I'm getting leave me speechless so what i take out of your thread is if i buy Copilot mapping download it into my Nexus 7 the camera app then run automatically on the copilot mapping and will them give me a mapping with cameras same as what was on my Garmin am i right.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david1949 wrote:
Hi M8TJT all this help I'm getting leave me speechless so what i take out of your thread is if i buy Copilot mapping download it into my Nexus 7 the camera app then run automatically on the copilot mapping and will them give me a mapping with cameras same as what was on my Garmin am i right.

Not quite, as I explained earlier, CamerAlert cannot integrate camera data into another app. BUT it can run alongside it. There is even an option in CamerAlert to launch your preferred navigation app when it is launched.

If you're used to Garmin, perhaps Navigon would be a good solution as a navigation app? It's a Garmin company and is a lovely navigation solution.

If you've used TomTom then that will be available by the weekend.

But neither can display our camera data IN their app. CamerAlert is the best solution though, easy to operate and a cinch to update.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can display our camera database in Sygic but they are then not directional.

Sygic has downloaded maps, so does not need a data connection to work, unless you want their Traffic.

I run Sygic, with PGPSW cams displayed so the I can see them whilst navigating, but use the PGPSW app, CA running in the background for the alerts. Getting PGPSW cams on to Sygic is not exactly straightforward, but it is possible though.
david1949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i will take all this in and think it over till the new year and make my mind up then what i going to do.

A very happy Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to all
david1949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i am going to go with the G P S on the nexus 7 so the windscreen mount and car charger arrived this morning for my Nexus 7 and i have downloaded the napping so all is left is to test it out so i will be doing that soon. The motorhome is booked on the ferry on the 5 of January and the wife and i are heading down to Portugal the Algarve for 4 weeks so i will let you,s know how the Nexus 7 G P S worked out for me fingers crossed i will be taking some paper map.s with me just in case something go wrong.
david1949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all i said i would let you all know how my Nexus 7 with Co Pilot mapping would perform in my motorhome on holidays i left the U K on the 5Th of January this year for a three month holiday in the south of Spain + portugal + morocco. Arrived in the south of Spain on the 16Th of January from leaving home the co pilot mapping on the nexus7 worked well not as good as my old Garmin 2720 but i got me there. The trouble started on the 5Th of February on the way to Portugal the Nexus7 would shut down sometimes when you where driving along. After checking it out i found that the heat coming through the windscreen was heating the back of the cradle up and the back of the Nexus them it would shut down i had to move the Nexus and cradle to the top of the dash all seemed ok for the next two weeks till i went over to Morocco the heat coming through the windscreen onto the dash was so hot it fryed the inside of the Nexus so that was it when i took it apart it was just one big melted mess so bin-ed it and went and bought a new Garman because i had been going on this same holiday for the last 6 years with my Garmin 2720 and it was on the windscreen all the time and the heat never affected it at all. So the Nexus 7 with G P S my be ok for the colder country's but it cant take the heat.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melted? Do you still have the Nexus? I'd love to see the damage.
david1949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Melted? Do you still have the Nexus? I'd love to see the damage.

Sorry dumped and the hole lot in a camp site bin cradle as well in morocco i will be buying another tablet to take with me for my e mails and keep in touch with family. As for using it as a sat nav i don't think so i got my new Garmin i bought in morocco now and it would run rings round the G P S on the Nexus 7.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: