Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Turning off mass storage Nuvi 2595?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning off mass storage Nuvi 2595?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smileroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Turning off mass storage Nuvi 2595? Reply with quote

I have a charger for the car similar to the one in the below link which allows me to charge two devices at once via usb. I do this because of some of the long journeys I go on and my phone is used via Bluetooth to play music and take phone calls through my car stereo and my new Garmin unit is to be used as my Sat Nav.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-PowerJolt-Dual-Charger-Player/dp/B001UKHHGY/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

My problem comes from when I try to charge my Sat Nav using the usb cable as it automatically goes into mass storage mode and I can't actually use the Sat Nav while it charges. Is there a way of getting around this so I can charge via the usb cable but also use the Sat Nav?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find a different usb cable would do what you want. Garmin cables put your GPS into mass storage mode, some 3rd party cables won't AFAIK.
Smileroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Garmin cable a type 3.0 and you need to use an older spec type 2.0 or is it something else? I have tried a couple of cables I have lying around the house and they have the same problem. I do have another for charging my controller on my PS3, I'll try that one later today and see what happens.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an adaptor a while ago which plugs into the cigarette socket in my car.

It has a number of power take offs - 3x 12v cigarette lighter type, 2xUSB.

This way I can power the sat-nav via one of the 12v outlets while also charging my phone via a USB at the same time.

Would something similar solve your problem? Smile
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Garmin cables put your GPS into mass storage mode, some 3rd party cables won't AFAIK.

Garmin just use standard cables for connection to a PC or Mac - the unit detects the absence of a connection between pins 4&5 and enters Mass-storage/MTP mode.
Garmin chargers OTOH have a 'personality' resistor (or a short) between these pins and so the unit knows it is a charger. Different value resistors are used to denote different connections, such as Traffic Receivers, Fleet Management interfaces etc.

Smileroo wrote:
I have tried a couple of cables I have lying around the house and they have the same problem. I do have another for charging my controller on my PS3, I'll try that one later today and see what happens.

The issue is, that you need to somehow get at Pins 4&5 in the Mini/micro Type B plug. I'm not even sure you can buy a plug that gives access to these pins (the ones I bought from Maplin didn't).

You could make one, by cannibalising a real charger lead - preferably one of the cheap ones - using the Type 'B' end from the charger lead, and any old USB lead that has a Type 'A' on the other end.

Note though: you might be telling the unit that it is allowed to draw up to 1A from the USB connection, without performing any sort of negotiation first. Make sure the current source is up to the job!

͐͐

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: