Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thinking of subscribing: but Cumbria mobile data is lacking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of subscribing: but Cumbria mobile data is lacking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Thinking of subscribing: but Cumbria mobile data is lacking Reply with quote

Ive been creating my own TomTom ov2 files for years now after installing your free files before subscription.

Now I'm moving away from the GO920 and using my Android phone and tablet instead I've decided Sygic meets my needs best, both in looks and functionality. Transferring my ov2 files isn't as simple though so I registered on here with thoughts of subscribing.

However, I cant get your CameraAlert to run behind Sygic, but more to the point, since Cumbria's partnership managed to get random parking locations passed in planning, your database is poor.

Can I send you an ov2 file of all the van locations, there's some real sneaky ones they often use? I'll gladly do this, but currently can't justify 20.00 from what Ive seen.

Your faq needs changing too as it still offers lifetime membership for an upload

Kind regards

Love the newsletter
Peter Hill

Note: Title edited for accuracy (AP)

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running old version of Sygic GPS Navigation
Replaced TomTom GO920
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can more than justify the £20 from what I've seen driving all over the uk. As can others.

Mobile cameras are the hardest to get accurate.

Perhaps if you'd subscribed a while back and had been submitting those cameras....
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you dont want the file??

One site I can show was one of the original 44 sites Cumbria Safety Camera Partnership actually published on their website

Replaced TomTom GO920
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say PGPSW don't want the file. That's down the Staff to decide. Not me.

Just expressing my opinion that if you'd submitted the data a while ago when you collected it for your own use it would have improved the database and perhaps you would have benefited. You might also have thought the database wasn't poor.

Essentially the database relies on submissions. How can it improve if you don't submit cameras you know about?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of subscribing but Cumbria database is very lac Reply with quote

peterjhill wrote:

Your faq needs changing too as it still offers lifetime membership for an upload

Thanks for the heads up... but could you point us to which FAQ.. there are a few... Laughing

peterjhill wrote:

Can I send you an ov2 file of all the van locations, there's some real sneaky ones they often use? I'll gladly do this, but currently can't justify 20.00 from what Ive seen.

On the camera reporting page if you click on the "Seen a Mobile? Report It!" heading in the top blue bar, it expands to say this:

Quote:
Submit OV2 Files created by POICapture:
PLEASE ONLY USE THIS FORM TO SUBMIT UNEDITED FILES CREATED BY THE POI CAPTURE UTILITY!

If you have Standard ov2 files please do not submit using this form. Non-POI Capture ov2 files should be submitted via email to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com

I'm not sure if the database admin will approve a file IF it's just been generated from just other sources though. The criteria is usually that you have to have personally seen what you're reporting. I wasn't sure if that was thecase or not...

But even if it was only a published list, he could probably use it as extra corroborative evidence when he gets other sightings.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of subscribing but Cumbria database is very lac Reply with quote

peterjhill wrote:
However, I cant get your CameraAlert to run behind Sygic,
Hi Peter. CamerAlert does run quite nicely behind Sygic on my android phone with no problems ort difficulty. Exactly why can't you get it to run? Also you can import the PGPSW database into Sygic itself but it's a bit fiddely, and of course you lose the directional capability of CA. Sad
With regards to your other comments, I can't comment.
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent the ov2 file and subscribed (I'll try it for a year - plus any free year) and see what happens.

The FAQ is the FAQ in this section of the forum - where it still offers lifetime subscription.

Getting it to work with Sygic? In the programme it asks if you want a programme to open at the same time as CA, I selected Sygic and nothing happened re Sygic. Perhaps I should learn how to do this manually in Jellybean.

Replaced TomTom GO920
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
asks if you want a programme to open at the same time as CA, I selected Sygic and nothing happened
Strange, that works for me.
Quote:
Perhaps I should learn how to do this manually in Jellybean.
Make sure you have GPS switched on. Start CA. Press the back button to take you back to the home page (this puts CA in the background). Then start Sygic. Simples Very Happy
Quote:
The FAQ is the FAQ in this section of the forum - where it still offers lifetime subscription.
Can you post a link to it. I can't find it Confused
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
Can you post a link to it. I can't find it Confused

Half-way down this page
Quote:
Q. How can I get Free Lifetime Membership?

I'll draw it to the attention of the PGPSW staff.
Samsung Galaxy S21
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

Now, off to the Sygic section to get that working as I would like. Cumbrian fells look good though Very Happy

Replaced TomTom GO920
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I can more than justify the £20 from what I've seen driving all over the uk. As can others.

I would have thought that from his 30,000 miles a year he too would be able to justify the £20. Or maybe his mileage is all in Cumbria - do they have that many meters and miles in Cumbria?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

I would have thought that from his 30,000 miles a year he too would be able to justify the £20. Or maybe his mileage is all in Cumbria - do they have that many meters and miles in Cumbria?

Plenty Smile

Mostly Cumbria but also work in North Yorks, Lancashire and Greater Manchester, plus regular trips to company offices all around the midlands.

I subscribed yesterday, but my own mobile database is more complete, probably due to the purging policy

Replaced TomTom GO920
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterjhill wrote:
....my own mobile database is more complete, probably due to the purging policy

Bigger, maybe. But do you have any evidence that it's more accurate?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in your other commentary, after ONE DAY with the pgpsw database, you know it is less good than your own. How many sites did you visit in that one day (Sunday)??? In Cumbria, North Yorks, Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Midlands???

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I spend 2 hours comparing the CA map against my ov2 file (kindly converted to csv) by your colleague, and sent 18 sites with direction and speed info. This involved using the tomtom, the tablet and a PC.

Many were on an earlier database I downloaded years ago, but gone now. They are still visited by plod though.

I'll shorten the signature, seems a tool for Mods to take the p*ss out of new members.

Replaced TomTom GO920

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: