Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic Reply with quote

Hi

has anyone else noticed this flaw in the TT traffic.

I believe the system works by collecting anonymous data from vodaphone users.

Taunton in Somerset has suffered considerable road flooding in the last few days. A couple of days ago I was due to travel to Minehead. I checked TT and was surprised to see that traffic into Taunton on the A358 had an hours delay, whilst traffic outbound on the same road was clear. "Why was there no traffic control around the obstacle?" I thought.

When I got to the obstruction, it turned out that the road was flooded just of the roundabout at the Cross keys Pub.

So why did TT show traffic congestion only one way? Well, there were no vehicles able to get past the flood the other way, so no Vodaphone users! TT did not show congestion south of the flood because of the roundabout, everyone going north simply went around the roundabout and either gave up or sought another route, hence the traffic is moving and not showing up as a holdup.

In instances like this I don't see what TT could have done differently.

John Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the system works by collecting anonymous data from vodaphone users.

In part, yes, but not totally.

It also uses other data feeds from Highways Agency and road side traffic flow monitors. The Vodafone (and LIVE device) data is used to enhance the other data flows.

Quote:
In instances like this I don't see what TT could have done differently.

Other data sources would have told them it was closed in BOTH directions. Either they are not getting that info or they are not implementing it.

As a personal example, my TT tried to route me onto a M class road (i forget which one) near Newcastle a couple of years ago. The M road was showing as clear but the surrounding A roads were packed. I soon found out why. The M Road was closed for surface repairs but it wasn't showing as closed on the TT so it insisted on sending me down that M road. When i was forced off that road and onto A roads and side streets it insisted on trying to get me back onto the M road which it believed was clear. Had it implemented info from the Highways Agency and it had been marked as closed on the TT I would have been diverted right around all the trouble. Instead it kept trying to lure me back into it and I had to work out my own route eventually....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we start, to be specific, only "TomTom HD Traffic" uses probe data from Vodaphone users as one of it's data sources, ordinary "TomTom Traffic" doesn't.

--------

As just said the GSM "probe data" is only one of the sources used to work out the traffic situation. That data has to be managed (quite cleverly) to remove all the spurious stuff from phones and satnavs that are NOT sitting in cars on roads (eg in houses and on speeding trains)
It's then mixed with details from all the other normal sources to produce the final "Traffic" situation.

Some background reading...
TomTom HD Traffic White paper
PocketGPSWorld - How TomTom makes Maps - Part 4 - HD Traffic

----------------

EDIT: Doh, sorry Paul, you beat me to it, I spent too long finding the link for the PGPSW article! Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: