Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin and PocketGPSWorld Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin and PocketGPSWorld Speed Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Garmin and PocketGPSWorld Speed Cameras Reply with quote

I've reported a possible bug with garmin in relation to the incorrect speed settings for roads and would like to know has anyone else noticed a similar issue.

The average speed cameras between M1 J37 and M1 J38 have been set to 50mph (currently returned to not in use), but I noticed while using the live services and garmin reporting there is an average speed camera zone in 2miles, that the speed limit for the road I am on is changed to reflect the speed limit of the speed camera.

This then causes a 30mph, 40mph or 70mph zone to show as 50mph, but when you reach the speed camera the speed for the road you are on has been reset to it's normal speed limit.

Garmin say this is a mapping issue, but I have stressed to them that if I turn off all live features then the roads are reported at the correct speed limit, so it must be how their satnav translates the information from the live services. I have also checked the NAVTEQ mapping service and the roads are the correct speed and Cyclops have also said their database is correct and not their issue.

So has anyone else noticed a similar issue with their nulink or live device. I'm currently using the nulink 2390 Live.

update:
Further to my original post above, I have performed some further tests and will be doing some more over the next few days if possible.

After performing some tests today, I believe the issue is caused by how the nulink 2390 deals with proximity alerts, as it was advising of a speed camera that was in a 60mph zone, but then changed the speed limit on the current road from 30mph to 60mph, when it then alerted you to a camera in a 50mph zone, the current road was changed from 30mph to 50mph.

Once I disabled the proximity alerts for Custom POI's the correct speed limits were displayed on the roads I was on. I will be performing another test which will enable custom poi's only and disable the garmin alerts.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done some more testing and can confirm it is an issue with how the Garmin software deals with Custom POI's when you have it's own Speed Camera alerts enabled as well.

It seems the device gets confused and sets the speed limit for the road you are currently on to the speed limit that the camera is set to. So if you are driving in a 30mph zone and the device warns you that a speed camera set to 60mph is in 2 miles, the current speed limit for the road you are currently driving along is changed to 60mph.

If you disable the PGPSW database (so only using Garmin Cameras) then the device reports everything correctly and this is same if disable the Garmin cameras and use the PGPSW database. You only have the problem if both are enabled.

I've reported this to Garmin, but would like to know if anyone else can test the theory and see if they get the same results.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it seems like a bug, but why would you want them both enabled anyway? Have Garmin got cams that we haven't?
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Ok, it seems like a bug, but why would you want them both enabled anyway? Have Garmin got cams that we haven't?

The PGPSW database alerts you to mobile speed cameras only up to the point where they are. Also the speed limit for the road you are on is not changed when using the PGPSW so if on motorway and limit is temporarily dropped to 50mph, you will be warned by the PGPSW alert, but the speed for the road stays at 70mph, so you won't receive an overspeed warning if you start going over the 50mph.

The Garmin alerts stay active until you have passed the average speed camera location, until out of range from that camera. The speed of the road is also updated for locations with temporary cameras where the speed is dropped.

So yes it is, to have the best of both you need them both activated. Also the option for custom POI's needs to be enabled for any other POI you may have installed (ie railway crossings - these are built into the tomtom devices, but not garmin)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Garmin alerts stay active until you have passed the average speed camera location, until out of range from that camera.

I understand the desire to see the new speed limit during road works etc

However Average Speed Cameras (SPECS) are front facing and only capture you at a particular point. They are not like Mobile cameras and don't catch you over a range or distance and can't see you once you've passed them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
However Average Speed Cameras (SPECS) are front facing and only capture you at a particular point. They are not like Mobile cameras and don't catch you over a range or distance and can't see you once you've passed them.

Just a note of caution here. There are increasing numbers of Specs installations with cameras mounted facing BOTH directions - perhaps to deal with motorbikes blasting through? Anyway, they'll trap you from behind as well as in front.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about those.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
The Garmin alerts stay active until you have passed the average speed camera location, until out of range from that camera.

I understand the desire to see the new speed limit during road works etc

Yes, I that's what I meant about the mobile speed camera locations. I pass a few routes that have them and on 1 route they could be in 1 of 3 locations. The PGPSW alerts to all 3 as you approach them, but the Garmin also lets you know you are still within the zone of the camera.

I know one route that Garmin lets me know there are mobile cameras which PGPSW doesn't mention, but as I've never seen a mobile camera I can't report it, to get it added to the database.

@DennisN - I've seen on one route where there are 3 cameras installed, with each camera housing 2 cameras which cover both lanes so they can take one facing and one from behind.

Update: received the following from Garmin

Quote:
Unfortunately Garmin safety cameras and cameras from PocketGPSWorld
can't be used at the same time because the unit will get confused and
receive duplicate information. The unit isn't designed to pick up two
different safety camera information at the same time.

So looks like it's gonna have to be the PGPSW alerts, shame can't get it to update the speed limit indicator

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: