Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying the USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Buying the USA Reply with quote

Okay, not the whole USA, just the maps. I'm off to Florida in December. I could just buy the map for my 740 at £35. Or I could buy the iPhone app.

Are there any other options to consider?

When would be the best time to buy - presumably as close as possible given I have no idea when the updates will come out, and have no plan to buy updates.

I see that the TomTom Start range cost just $99, or $139 for the TM including traffic. I'd need one in advance, but presumably could sell it after.

Thoughts?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say to just get the map for your Go740.

Were you thinking of trying to buy a US model in dollars while you were still in the UK? There might be import/customs problems?

If you buy a US model with TMC I don't think the Traffic receiver will work anywhere else (even Canada)?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rds-tmc antemma will pick up traffic (if available) anywhere. I used mine for a 540 in Italy a few years ago and did get traffic info there...

Also, the next map is due any time from mid November on. If Tomtom follows past practice, they usually discount current maps anywhere up to about 30% a few weeks before a new one is released.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
If Tomtom follows past practice, they usually discount current maps anywhere up to about 30% a few weeks before a new one is released.

There was no discount prior to the last map - times are hard.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
The rds-tmc antemma will pick up traffic (if available) anywhere. I used mine for a 540 in Italy a few years ago and did get traffic info there...

Thanks for the correction dhn, I always get that one wrong...
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The antenna works as well. Too bad I can't type worth a damn! Crying or Very sad
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Back from the USA Reply with quote

Hi: just got back from the US: driving around Georgia and South Carolina and I was using the latest downloaded map on a 930 and they seemed pretty accurate. Remember that you will have to set up your individual state initially and you might want to change to a US voice. The only difference I could discern was the word "Highway" when approaching an interstate.

They call these areas The Low Country, and it is for a reason, the scenery is flat. Many guides say that if you are heading from say Atlanta to Charleston, c 300 miles, just stay on the freeway as there is no advantage of taking the smaller routes, like you would in the "pretty" states. From what I recall of Florida, it is much the same.

Watch out for the varying speed limits and the eye in the sky!

Mike
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased USA map for 530 and found it good for road trip from San Fran to Vegas via lake Tahoe last year. Would recommend planning route rather than following TT sometime weird routing...
If you go for the iphone app, doesn't the iphone have assisted GPS. I mean it uses mostly data to get gps signal. I found lots of out of city areas had no signal for mobile. Data connections very expensive. We were charged £5 per mb and within 30mins exceeded £100 limit. Crying or Very sad Ok we were using google maps but we were lost with no TT, but thats another story.... Just having iphone turned on with data enabled will run up charges as every 15mins or so it sends out a data signal looking for the nearest tower, just as it does looking for network signal. If its near a radio you've probably heard it through the speakers as interference.
We used app called citymaps2go as a backup if TT went down. Allows you to download free open source maps to use offline. Not as good as TT but a backup.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPhone (and other GPS smart-phones) can use data to help speed up the lock, but they do have a pure GPS receiver too, so do not need any cellular signal at all to know where they are. The issue then is how they get the map data, and that can (as you say) be either from a provider like Google, or "on-board" with software like TomTom.

We decided that we would buy the TomTom 740 US map though, for our existing device. We won't have traffic, but we shouldn't suffer too much given it is a holiday.

I shall just wait a few days to ensure that I buy the version 900 maps that are just out.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I shall just wait a few days to ensure that I buy the version 900 maps that are just out.
The V900 Maps are already available to buy. The 'more information' button gives all the details. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
matthewj wrote:
The V900 Maps are already available to buy. The 'more information' button gives all the details. Smile

Thanks - indeed I thought I'd go check after I posted that to see if it was clear. It certainly says it is v9.00. All I need now is to get my Satnav to the office and make backups etc etc. Very Happy
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, bought it. The web site kept giving me "internal server error" but Home was able to complete it.

The USA won't fit on the same 4Gb micro SD card as the whole of the EU. I could try to work out how to select one of the segmented EU maps, but a new 8Gb card seems easier.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: