Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New model
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have seen the pictures (thanks johnjackson) I can see why we could not be trusted with such a major and ground braking developments...... Wink
Satsync 1.525
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we will get a pink one for the laydeez....................
Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to imagine what question could be asked about the device that the average user would find LESS important about its design.
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I don't give a monkeys what colour the buttons are but nothing wrong with all black as far as I'm concerned. My Satmap is away for repair at the moment and I am basically very pleased with it but after 4/5 years since the first one was launched the colour of the buttons is the least of may concerns unless one colour button is less likely to break off than another.
My main concerns are the useless USB cover, rechargeable battery connections and breaking buttons and joystick top. Sort those out and I'll even buy another one.
I think late summer is the likely launch date.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that they appear to be giving it a new name and the appearance seems little changed I assume that the main changes will be in the software. I do hope they give it a really good test before they put it out on sale......
Satsync 1.525
WalkerDan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a facebook user but my guess is the "facebook generation" will go for the garish all orange. Makes it look a bit like a toy and not a serious piece of equipment. All black fine by me.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A lot of people do not like Facebook

Too right! I'm reasonably tech-savvy but I will not use FB. I cannot understand why companies, especially one with a good reputation for communication, want to use FB.

I suspect it is because they have a "media manager" or similar who still has the mind of a 12 year old and assumes everyone else is the same.

It seems remarkable to me that Satmap have not put this on their website or responded to questions here.

SATMAP: if you read this, get off FB if you want feedback from serious users!
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't care less about the colour and the evidence of that is I use the sand coloured Proshield (still £18 on the website presumably because no-one else likes the colour either).

Top of my wish-list would be waterproof out of the box and secondly the totally flaky USB cover.

Other than that I wouldn't be without it.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others here, I think choosing the button colours is a bit trivial, but I voted anyway (why not?)

My number one wish for the new model is a higher resolution screen - since OS mapping apps have appeared on smartphones, the resolution of the Active 10 screen really has started to look old; viewing a map at it's native resolution (e.g. 1:50 000 for a Landranger, or 1:25 000 for an explorer series) on the Active 10's screen has always been pretty useless - I've found I needed to zoom in the see any map detail, which then restricts the amount of context you can gather due to the small area displayed.
So how about a 5-inch OLED display with a proper scratch-proof coating (it has never seemed to be a problem for Garmin) and doing-away with that awful system of a clip-on protective screen cover?
I also agree about the USB cover and general waterproofing of the A10.

(None of this is to say that I dislike the A10 - it was groundbreaking for it's day, it's just that technology has moved on)
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Satmap can fix the several well known issues mentioned on this forum I don't see any reason for the unit not to stay much the same. I am satisfied with the A10 for the job I need. Radical changes, such as larger screen, touch screen and adding gimicks not associated with navigation, all have there down side too. Reducing battery life, loss of single-handed operation, distractions, etc.

Increased resolution is not essential, though I would welcome it. Screen cover, USB cover, battery connection and waterproofing are areas for redesign and I personally don't like having to fiddle with a pro sheild, prefering to use an aquapack waterproof pocket but understand that is no use to bikers.

Should Satmap deliver such an improved version of the A10, under the name of A12, I would be tempted to save up for one.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would dearly love them to sort out the glitch in the software associated with "nearby". It looks to me like a simple coding error. I gave them full details over a year ago but no changes. To me it makes the "nearby" function useless whereas it could be really useful. :-(
Satsync 1.525
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnjackson wrote:

Do I care?

I've never found a problem with the existing button colours. It's either change for change sake, or a rouse to make existing owners feel that their Active 10 is obsolete![/i][/b]

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole button colour thing does make it look as if the external form factor of the Active 12 is going to be exactly the same as the Active 10 - hence Satmap feel the need to differentiate the units with a clear visual difference.
Hmm.
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google of "satmap active 12" brings up dutch and german links which all say the same thing (ie a PR release) including a September 2013 launch...

http://www.pocketnavigation.de/2013/07/satmap-active-12/

http://www.pocketnavigation.nl/2013/07/satmap-active-12-outdoor-navigatiesysteem/

Google translate from the dutch link:

Start/ The Active 12 is the latest device from Satmap and embroiders for its predecessor the Active 10. Not surprising in itself, as the English like to keep to their traditions and so we see that the size of the new device barely changed. The buttons has been refreshed just that, because they are in fact turned orange.

Beneath the Active 12, however, completely renovated and has a more powerful processor, more memory, and (finally), one also has added the much needed barometric altimeter. Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Ready come some new communication opportunities available. Thus, now heart and cadence meters or speed sensors are attached. Incidentally, it is already included. This gives the 12 a clear sporty character that, because training data are shown not only on screen, but also stored on the device for further analysis.

Data is transferred between multiple Active 12 devices via the Bluetooth interface; soon here comes the possibility to connect to smartphones. It lets you later via your smartphone on the Satmap Xpedition site tours plans and then transfer to the Active 12.
Detailed Specifications

The large 3.5 inch display with 480 x 320 pixels (HVGA) got a higher resolution and thus provides a clearer picture on the card and the other information on the screen. In order to make best use of the higher resolution has Satmap high-res maps of Germany and Britain released. Soon be that high-res maps of other countries to follow. If storage medium uses SD cards (up to 32GB). Making screenshots is possible and also customizing the menus to your preference now is possible.

Fortunately accessories of Active 10 still fit on the Active 12 and vice versa. The mini-USB connector and the ability to change the display cover are retained in the Active 12. This also applies to the cards that the user already has in his possession. Paperless Geocaching was already possible on the Active 10 but the Active 12 are thereby more detailed descriptions.

The starting price will be at around 400 euros, which you will get the basic model with USB cable and lithium-ion battery, without a map. The Active 12 PRO (EUR 450, -) is also supplied with a bag, world power, lithium-polymer battery (2700 mAh) and a subscription of her Xpedition Premium. For EUR 550, - is there a version with maps in the scale 1:50,000. Satmap expected to deliver. Devices from the first mid-September The previous model, the Active 10 , also remains also available.

Incidentally, it's also smart to again look at the Satmap card shop to look, because you now find include a new France map in scale 1:100,000 and a map in the same scale for Germany. Both cards are now for EUR 70, - available. /end

So will it be €400 (£350) + vat in the UK?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that site is accurate (and I'm suspicious that a UK company would release details to a German/French language-only site, but not a peep elsewhere on the net in their native tongue...) then the increased processor speed and screen resolution are very welcome. For me, bluetooth is, well, meh. And barometer? I've always found the ability to choose elevation height from either the map or GPS on the Active 10 to be perfectly adequate (who needs to know their elevation on a hillside to greater than 10 metres accuracy? "Ooh, now I know that I'm 2/3 of the way between those two contour lines!")
I am concerned about the reference to map cards though - could just be ropey translation, but it sounds as if "new" hi-res map card purchases will be needed to make the best of the increased screen resolution... the Memory Map upgrade fiasco all over again?

All-in-all, I'm hoping that this article is just speculation based on some German tech-head's wish list....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: